Bella role model? I dont think so...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Dec 2008 21:21:07 GMT
I've only made my way through half the first book as I have yet to encounter a plot line other than the fact that Edward is beautiful and Bella is besotted with him. It's mentioned on every other page, and its getting a bit old.

Bella never seems to hold anything back in anyway, she makes me cringe in everyway. I'm an honest person in general, but there are some things you just dont say unless you want any guy your with to know exactly the hold they have over you.

I think in a huge way this book will let down the girls who use Bella as a role model, as she comes across more of a victim and also having self-image problems and doesnt seem to think there is anything better than food prep to her. Is this what most girls think is a good thing?

Anyone else have this problem with the book?

Juli

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2008 10:58:09 GMT
Suzanne says:
The first book is kind of rough, I'll admit, but it's worth reading to the end. There isn't a clear plot line because it isn't meant to be the entire story. It's basically a long introduction to what follows in the three other books. Edward perfection is all that is mentioned because that is the effect that these vampires have on humans (preditor and prey) This book is from bella's perspective. She's a teenager; irrational, moody, intence.
It does get kind of annoying after a while, her always moaning, but I think it's worth readding til the end :) I think you have to be in a certain frame of mind to enjoy this book.

hope this helped alittle.

Jessie

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2009 13:38:16 GMT
Currer Bell says:
To some extent I can see what you're saying. I prefer strong female characters and I disagree that being a teenager can solely justify the weakness and vulnerability that just oozes out of Bella. Her self-consciousness and insecurities are, however, who she is. Her honesty about her feelings to the reader may sound repetitive, frustrating and even annoying but they are key to the main theme - That being that Bella and Edward are no typical teenage couple.
I cringe at the cooking and cleaning bits too though!!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2009 20:10:14 GMT
C. Finn says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 6 Feb 2009 22:45:04 GMT
It was written as teen fiction: the plotlines aren't difficult to follow and have to be easy to relate to or they loose their intended audience, I'm used to more sophistocated text with about 6 different plots going on at once but I still found the entire series enjoyable to read, it's hard to explain in words though, it's like the books have a kind of aura about them that makes you want to keep reading, but if you're going to look at it like an adult literary critic of course you're going to find something wrong with it. It's a love story that's pretty and lighthearted that people can relate to all through their lives no matter how old they are or where they are from, its something that you'd have to read to the end to completely understand, every 'twilighter' i've spoken to (and many of them are degree graduates of one thing or another, too old to be the indended audience and very clever) has still irrationally fallen in love with the series

Posted on 11 Feb 2009 00:34:27 GMT
There is no plot. None at all. The characters are cringe-worthy and impossible to relate to, or respect in the slightest. The writing style is aweful as every sentance begins with "I" and there are barely any connectives, with the majority of the description focused on Edward, who is the personification of perfect and what all girls should aspire to. It's a sickening book to anyone who has any love of strong story plots, loveable characters or who finds joy in reading fiction.

Bella makes a frustrating role model, and to be quit honest all i could think whilst reading the book was that the author was simply listing her dreams (i can't use the word 'describing' as the description is so poor i feel i would be lying to you).

Don't bother finishing it. There are better things to do with your time.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2009 18:55:37 GMT
Bumbles says:
I agree. Bella is a rather useless character and has no interests or dreams or ambitions other than staring at Edward all day.

Posted on 19 Mar 2009 16:51:14 GMT
Book Lover says:
I have to say i have loved reading these books - although until i read your post i've never thought of characters as role models. I think that the way this book is written (ie from Bella's perspective) means that she does seem vunerable and over concious of herself - however if you look through her actual speech to others i think this shows that although she may hold negative feelings about herself she does not come accross that way to others - surely that is a reason Edward becomes so frustrated that he can not read her thoughts?

I think the first book is quite fixated about their feelings for one another ~ however i also feel that if you read the saga as one long book it becomes clear why that is necessarry (especially when explaining the depth of Bella's emotions in book two and both their Edward's feelings in book 4).

Another point to remeber is that these books are aimed at 13yr old girls - and although Bella may not be an ideal role model - i feel she may be a good presentation of this age group (though she is marked as being older herself).

I hope you do decide to read on as i think the story does unforld further in the following 3 books.

Posted on 9 Apr 2009 17:06:23 BDT
The first book is all about the feeling but it is worth it for the next three. I do agree that Bella is not a role model but i would also say that she is a 'real' charactor, as you continue to read you find out more about her parents (especially mums) emotional dependace on her and this tend to drain children of ambitions of thier own as thier life gets wrapped up in what thier parents want. much of this story is about a girl who has never fought for anything herself or even desired anything herself other than to look after her mother (who is describes as delicate and rather flakey) finding the first thing ever that she is willing to fight for and having that one desire absorb her whole world. i have to say, i can relate. i do have issues with the idea that these books are aimed at thirteen year olds. i mean i', 22 and married and at times i was blushing. as 'book lover says' read all four as one rather than looking at them individually.

Posted on 15 Apr 2009 16:28:45 BDT
The first book is the only good one in this whole series. The other three are a load of rubbish, particularly the last one and there is no way that Bella can be classed as a role model. Most of the time when I was reading the last three I really saw how selfish Bella was and she didn't think at any point about the effect of her actions would have on other people. I only read the last three because when you read such a good book like Twilight, you have hope about the other books in the saga. But no way is Bella a role model unless you really want people to follow in her footsteps of being selfish.

Posted on 16 Apr 2009 18:12:12 BDT
Tracey says:
I am 12 and I wouldn't class bella as a role model and I dont think that Stephanie Meyers wanted her to be. Lots of people have said she is selfish and I do agree with that but this is a book and not all people are perfect so I think that Stephanie rather then creating a bad role model has shown the relistic side of a teenagers feelings.

Posted on 31 May 2009 23:51:50 BDT
I have loved these books but also never thought of Bella as a role model. I lot of the books are from Bella's point of view and so will always take her slant on things. A bit like a diary if you like, full of mostly her thoughts and feelings so when she is falling for Edward most of it will be her going on about him.

Most people have hang ups of some sort, be it the way they look, the way they dress, not being clever enough etc. In a way I think that the books would be good for young adults as it shows that how she sees herself is not the way other people view her, how Edward sees himself is not how he is viewed by all people. It's always nice to think that no matter how ordinary you are someone you perceive as perfect may feel just as strongly.

Just a point of view

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2009 20:11:46 BDT
well said

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2009 12:56:54 GMT
Lucy says:
Whoa, calm down there. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. To be honest- the book let me down BIG TIME. The reason I read it? Because I expected it to be good!

Posted on 24 Nov 2009 16:22:39 GMT
I felt the same while reading twilight, she could be a bit annoying sometimes for going on and on about how perfect Edward was... and the fact that she didn't have any real ambitions... (I can see what you all mean).
Howhever, after reading my own diary by the time I was 15-17 years old, I realized I was pretty much the same as she was... I have pages and pages describing my first boyfriend, and how perfect he was, and how gorgeous his eyes were, and... bla bla bla...
I can see now, that Bella is simply a teenage girl, (with all her insecurities and dilemas)... not a role model! If anyone is a role model in the whole series is Carlisle!

Posted on 26 Nov 2009 01:05:08 GMT
J. Stein says:
Bella is a typical teenage girl - self involved, angst ridden and in love. I don't think she's supposed to be a role model at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2009 14:41:47 GMT
Y. Tilan says:
Grow up. People are entitled to their opinion, if you cant handle that..dont post..simple really!!!

Posted on 2 Dec 2009 13:37:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2009 13:38:56 GMT
D. M. Keith says:
She is a Role Moel to my best friend Ellie, an Ellie's really nice. But Just because Bella is insecure why would people who use her as a role model be insecure if they have nothing to be insecure about? and shes independant, and a strong person, an looks after her parents, an kinda selfish...shes an alright role model but i wouldnt encorage people to use her as a role model.. if that makes any sence. (:

Tess.x

Posted on 6 Dec 2009 02:32:25 GMT
Misty.k says:
I read "Twilight and Philosophy" and the whole Twilight Saga... Hoping to understand and bring to light some issues involved in the whole saga... but all I found is the person who wrote 'Twilight and Philosophy' was probably a teenage girl as well... Somewhere in the text it compares Bella to Sarah Palin! I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin but I do admire her work and her strength to run a campaign... can someone please tell me what the comparison are is between Sarah Palin and Bella besides them sharing the same hair colour??

I read the whole saga and I think people who say its written for a teen audience isn't giving enough credits to teenagers. I mean, besides the little sex inflicted fade to black scene there's not much going on in the whole text besides a big soppy love story. Even JK Rowling gave a better reading to this target audience.

If teenage girls are reading it I hope they only take it as far as that and not admiring Bella and seeing her as a role model.

Posted on 7 Dec 2009 13:11:18 GMT
Laylarnie says:
I found that the Twilight Saga is on the whole a good influence on girls in one particular aspect, the idea that they should not rush in to physical relationships and that holding out for sex can be even more exciting.
The characters are just providing an environment for this message and reflect the insecurities, vulnerabilities and selfish anger that all teenagers feel some aspect of in some way.
Bella is not a role model nor was she written to be one. Meyer is the role model for successfully creating a modern text with huge sexual tension whilst still managing to promote a healthy loving relationship based on mutual respect.

Posted on 13 Dec 2009 12:08:34 GMT
The Book Bug says:
Frankly, I hate Bella. As a teen myself, she would not be one of my friends. She lacks depth and is so in love with Edward that she doesnt notice anything bad about him. I could list a few:

*he doesnt have a personalty
*he is just as broing as bella
*VAMPIRES DONT SPARKLE.

There are so many better, stronger fictional teenagers than Bella and Edward...Um, like Jace and Clary.

Posted on 3 Feb 2010 18:27:34 GMT
I agree with you, as in, yes, Bella is incredibly whiny and boring and has the same amount of personality as a doormat, but I would really hope people aren't thinking of her as a role model. She just goes on, and on, and on about how beautiful Edward is.

Which we all got on the first chapter. However, I would recommend the first three books, but I would give Breaking Dawn a miss. Everyone I've spoken to said it just train wrecked the series, and I agree.

Hope that helped! xx

Posted on 14 Mar 2010 23:08:44 GMT
i dont like bella, shes a crap role model. i mean she gave up gorgous, funny, protecting wolf boy, jacob for a bloodsucking, might kill you any second, serious, vamp, 100 year old edward! talk about discusting! but then again surves her right for beening a whiney, assss!! hrmph.

Posted on 28 Mar 2010 10:41:00 BDT
K. Burns says:
she is just a normal person! she is not meant to be a role model!

Posted on 24 Dec 2011 09:00:01 GMT
raven_guest says:
I personally hated Bella, but loved the story. It was worse with the movies, she was positively unlikable. There was no reason for everyone to be falling over themselves for her.

As for realistic 'heroines' I hate to plug my own work but;
Of Darkness and Light (Shadow of the Nephilim Book 1)

My YA Paranormal Romance is currently free for the next five days, let me know what you think x
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  28
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  24 Dec 2008
Latest post:  1 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Twilight (Twilight Saga)
Twilight (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (Audio CD - 16 Dec. 2008)
4.4 out of 5 stars (1,824)