You'll also find a series of comprehensive tutorials on Linux internals and the command–line prompt—essential for any Linux user—along with special sections on optimization, security, and system maintenance that will broaden your knowledge to professional level.
The complete Ubuntu Linux distribution is included free on the DVD inside the book. Simply insert the DVD and follow the instructions in the book to install Ubuntu Linux!
- The ultimate guide to Ubuntu, the hottest Linux distribution on the planet
- Avoids introductions to esoteric Linux topics that are commonly found in other books and focuses on everyday tasks for everyday users: printer and file sharing configuration, office document management, listening to MP3s, watching movies, and much more
- Includes a DVD containing not only the complete Ubuntu version, but also versions of Ubuntu's sister projects, including Edubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu
What you’ll learn
- Use Ubuntu as a daily desktop replacement.
- Complete all manner of office tasks, such as creating Microsoft Office–compatible documents and spreadsheets, using e–mail, and managing contacts.
- Listen to MP3s and CDs, and watch movies using user–friendly Linux desktop applications.
- Configure Ubuntu's printer– and file–sharing features to share resources seamlessly with other computers on your network.
- Become a proficient user of the Linux command line.
Who is this book for?
Beginning Linux users seeking to explore the popular Ubuntu distribution
About the Apress Beginning Series
The Beginning series from Apress is the right choice to get the information you need to land that crucial entry–level job. These books will teach you a standard and important technology from the ground up because they are explicitly designed to take you from "novice to professional." You'll start your journey by seeing what you need to know—but without needless theory and filler. You'll build your skill set by learning how to put together real–world projects step by step. So whether your goal is your next career challenge or a new learning opportunity, the Beginning series from Apress will take you there—it is your trusted guide through unfamiliar territory!