Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Fourth Edition is the update to the best-selling book on Ubuntu, today's hottest Linux distribution. Targeting newcomers to Linux and to the Ubuntu distribution alike, readers are presented with an introduction to the world of Linux and open source community, followed by a detailed overview of Ubuntu's installation and configuration process. From there readers learn how to wield total control over their newly installed operating system, and are guided through common tasks such as writing documents, listening to audio CDs and MP3s, watching movies, using VOIP and chat, and of course general system maintenance matters.
Additionally, there's a series of comprehensive tutorials on Linux internals and the command-line prompt-essential for any Linux user-and the book includes special sections on optimization, security, and system maintenance.
The book comes with a DVD containing the complete Ubuntu Linux distribution. All you need to do is insert the DVD and follow the instructions in the book to install this distribution.
- The ultimate guide to Ubuntu, the hottest Linux distribution on the planet.
- Forgoes introductions to esoteric Linux topics so commonly found in other books and instead focuses on everyday tasks for everyday users: printer and file sharing configuration, office document management, and listening to MP3s and watching movies among them.
What you'll learn
- Use Ubuntu as a daily desktop replacement.
- Complete all manner of office tasks, such as creating Microsoft Office-compatible documents and spreadsheets, using e-mail, and managing contacts.
- Listen to MP3s and CDs, and watch movies using a user-friendly Linux desktop.
- Configure Ubuntu's printer- and file-sharing features to share resources seamlessly with other computers on your network.
- Become a proficient user of the Linux command line.
Who is this book for?
Beginning Linux users seeking to explore the popular Ubuntu distribution
About the Apress Beginning Series
The Beginning series from Apress is the right choice to get the information you need to land that crucial entry-level job. These books will teach you a standard and important technology from the ground up because they are explicitly designed to take you from "novice to professional." You'll start your journey by seeing what you need to know-but without needless theory and filler. You'll build your skill set by learning how to put together real-world projects step by step. So whether your goal is your next career challenge or a new learning opportunity, the Beginning series from Apress will take you there-it is your trusted guide through unfamiliar territory!