TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 November 2012
This is the first of a 5-volume set of books which endeveaour to give you such information that you can take a Microsoft Certificate in SQL Server.

There are numerous topics in each book, and for each sub-topic in a chapter there is a detailed expliation, following which you can download tables for you to practice on (and there are specific tasks for you to do). Additionally, there are videos available online (some of which are an extra charge) so that you can see it happening. This combination of See-Read-Do or Read-See-Do is for me very effective for learning.

Should you get this first volume? If you have no previous hand-ons experience with SQL Server or Microsoft Access, then definitely; If you have some experience of Access, then possibly; if you have some experience of SQL Server, then start with Volume 2. The reason is that this volume is an overview of the main components of SQL Server, including making tables, queries etc. However, the information is summarised as Chapter 1 of Volume 2, so if you already have some information, this may be overkill. However, if you are starting from scratch, this is a must read.

I found the work a good read and very informative, and SQL Queries Joes 2 Pros: SQL Query Techniques For Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Volume 2 continues this, so I have bought all 5 books.
on 6 June 2013
For anyone who has no previous knowledge of SQL this is the perfect beginning. There is an abundance of material downloadable from the website to complement the book. (I bought the ebook for Kindle or Kindle App). I contacted them for support as a script which was meant to create three practice databases didn't run correctly. I received a video attachment which was created specifically for me and addressed me by name showing how to correct the problem! Would highly recommend this book.
on 5 July 2012
This is undoubtedly the book for beginners. I purchased three other books even Microsoft Step by Step book on SQL 2008. It is not for beginnners. This Joes 2 Pros is the book. All the other books would require some knowledge about database software and method.

I wasted money buying other books and only recommend this one for beginngers.

One other thing be sure that you have Microsoft SQL installed and running so that the database connects to the server either in your computer or else where.

I purchased the SQL2008 R2 software and it took me one week to make it work. This is because the installation procedures for this software do not have sufficiently clear instructions. I got help eventually from Mr.Alberto Morillo at Microsoft SQL Server Forum. He guided me though a successful installation. No book will be of any use, if you do not first make a successful installation with a connect to server instance working.

This Joes 2 Pros series is no bull!

If you are a baby in this, then this is the crib you want to be in.
on 23 July 2012
I had already purchased the paper version of volume 2 but bought the kindle version of volume 1 to fill in the gaps! I wouldn't regard myself as an absolute beginner, I use this to confirm concepts and make sure I have got a good grasp of the basics.

It is well written and doesn't read like a dull text book. It's informative, appropriately paced and well set out. It can be read front to back or just dipped into when you need it!

Highly recommended (and book 2 also!) Make use of the online content to get you started which is all free! It will also test your learning and helps to confirm that you've got it mastered.
on 5 March 2014
A great entry-level SQL book for beginners. As I'm self-taught it was great covering the basics which I may have missed or got the explanation why those rules exist.
Great book!
on 16 December 2011
I have bought several books to learn SQL. This is the only one which I would recommend. Its gives a solid grounding and the rest of the series just build on this.
on 5 September 2013
I needed to brush up on my (near non-existant) SQL skills. This book did exactly that.
I know what I'm doing now!
Brilliant!!!
on 16 February 2014
I would suggest this book for clear and deep understanding of databases for begginers. Looking forward to read next volumes