on 3 September 1997
This 1,000 page plus book is perfect for the beginner, and does have enough depth to please most intermediate Java programmers. Typically books this size lose something half way through. Not this one! After reading this book, you are more than prepared to write apps and applets of more than just your "Hello, world!" variety.

Not too many typos, and excellent examples. All the source code is available from WROX's home page. No CD. But I think that helps keep the cost down.

Wonderful buy. A can't miss purchase...
on 23 January 1998
So far this is an excellent book. I've only had time to get through 5 chapters, including an intro to object-oriented design. But so far, the book is simple, streightforward, chock-full of clear examples (though there are some errors here and there, so go to Wrox's web site to get a list - also available there are answers to all the exercises at the end of each chapter). This is a great book for those who don't have experience in object-oriented design, and perhaps not even in programming in general. Horton goes first into the syntax and basic structures of doing basic arithmatic, string manipulation, etc. Once the reader has had 4 chapters of learning about and trying out these functions, only then does he begin to tackle the more daunting subject of object-oriented programming. But by this time, the reader is so familiar with Java's basic syntax, that this topic is not as daunting as it might be if it were introduced in the first or second chapter of a book, like most of them out there. Now if only Horton/Wrox could come out with a similar text on JavaScript!
on 24 June 1998
Unlike other people have said,It is NO WAY too hard,yeah,if ure IQ is 78,then dont get it..but im 13.and i completed the main of this book in a week,and i still use if for reference today.I think the problem is that most of these newbies were expecting an 'In 21 days' book,which gets u writing some paint applets really quickly, but then leaves u stuck in to what to do next!This book covers everything!I have had the pain of buying an 'In 21days' book,then looking for a book the next step up..and finding i knew too little to continue..not this book-it teaches you everything! overall: GET THIS BOOK!!ive read every book on the market and this is by far the most informative and helpfull of them all!id give it 10star if i could!!!
on 26 January 1998
I've read four books on learning Java and this is the best of the lot. Two of the books were so light-weight that I sold them immediately after one reading. Beginning Java's strength is that it is the most comprehensive on the subject. The book is 1,000 pages, but the writing style is very concise. Ivor spends a couple of pages on topics that some authors need a chapter to explain. This book is not for those who want to get a cursory view of Java, type in a couple of example programs, and then say "I can do Java". Rather this book is for those who want to use Java to accomplish work. The comprehensiveness of this book makes it a bargain for the price and allows this book to also serve as a desk reference.
on 28 October 1998
This is a wonderfull book for the computer buff who wants to learn JAVA, but if you're new to object-oriented programming, I highly suggest you not buy this book. Although I found the book extremly helpful, many of my beginner friends found it complex. For beginners, I recommend getting a good grasp of object-oriented. programming...it'll make learning JAVA that much easier. Please, don't waste your time with "Dummie" books and the "in 21 days" books...they try to teach you through loop-holes, which in the long run will keep you guessing at every turn. If you're a good programmer, who wants to learn JAVA, I highly recommend this book.
on 28 October 1998
This is a wondefull book for the computer buff who wants to learn JAVA, but if you're new to object-oriented programming, I highly suggest you not buy this book. Although I found the book extremly helpful, many of my beginner friends found it complex. For beginners, I recommend getting a good grasp of object-oriented. programming...it'll make learning JAVA that much easier. Please, don't waste your time with "Dummie" books and the "in 21 days" books...they try to teach you through loop-holes, which in the long run will keep you guessing at every turn. If you're a good programmer, who wants to learn JAVA, I highly recommend this book.
on 15 September 1998
When I was searching for my first book on Java most of what was out there norrowly focused on only a few select subjects, mostly syntax and structure. Not this book. After teaching you Java from the ground up it goes into Objects. From there you have a choice of learning the basics of AWT, JDBC, Networking, RMI, or other useful, real world topics without having to buy another book. Every chapter is chock full of examples and sample code. I consider myself an intermediate Java programmer today and I often use this book as a reference. If your a beginner, want to learn the langauage, and want a solid foundation on what Java is capable of, buy this book !.
on 12 August 1999
This is a good book. It gave me a solid understanding of Java fundamentals. Of course, I've been doing programming for several years and was already familiar with object oriented topics. If you've never programmed or have never been introduced to object oriented programming, this book will probably be confusing (there is only about one chapter on basic OO concepts and much of the rest of the book builds on this). However, if you are familiar with OO, I think you will find this book quite useful.
(Unfortunately most of what I just learned about Java has probably already been made obsolete by the release of Java 2 ;-)
on 1 April 1998
For teaching Java, this one stands out from the many that I was able to review in several local bookstores. The visual layout, the quality of the text, diagrams, tables and examples are all excellent. On the negative side, I feel the book becomes slightly less focused in later chapters and could use better exercises (I supply my own for my course.) It is in roughly the same class as the Deitel & Deitel Java book (second edition), a text I've grown to like in comparison to what else is available. (Deitel does have slightly better exercises.) But this book is more current than Deitel and better paced.
on 23 April 1998
Used it as a college textbook in a beginners Java course. The title is deceiving. It is not for beginners. It was way over our heads. Everyone in the course hated it for the first month or 2.. I would suggest to the author to stick with one metaphor in explaining how the Java language works (he jumps from fruit to baseball etc.).
I am now singing a different tune. It is a pretty comprehensive book and easy to understand. I looked through many Java books in the local book superstore and found none better then this book, actually very few that even come near (and they must have over 100 Java titles.