I was never an Eddie Fisher fan but I still enjoyed reading this autobiography. A lot. In it, Fisher comes across as the most egotistical man ever to write a book; according to him he had the best voice, was the biggest star, and greatest lover in history. His never-ending hubris gets to be quite comical, actually, as he never tires of singing his own praises.

He cheerfully admits to being the world's worst father ("I didn't see my kids for years at a time.") and blames all his troubles on his decades-long drug addiction. But his famous marriages and non-stop love affairs are what make this a real page-turner. He happily names names and sullies the reputations of practically every well-known (at the time) star in Hollywood, while simply saying he was as irresistible to women as they were to him. Married five times, he dishes the dirt on Elizabeth Taylor and Connie Stevens and is especially unkind to Debbie Reynolds.

The book is written in a happy-go-lucky, chatty style designed to show how vulnerable he was through most of his career, while laughing off the endless bad choices he made. I was surprised at how fascinated I became with his story and how much I enjoyed this tell-all book.
on 10 July 2012
Once upon a time Eddie Fisher had it all.Good lucks a singing career that took him to the top,fortune and marriage to some of the most beautiful and famous women of his era.Yet it all slipped away from him.In many ways he was unfortunate in his timing.His rise in the 50s coincided with the rise of rock and roll.Almost overnight his style became passe.He clearly was a bad choser when it came to women.He has not one good word to say about Debbie Reynolds.His pen is definately dipped in vitriol.He is barely civil about Connie Stevens and he acknowledges the many mistakes he made with Elizabeth Taylor.He became hooked early on on drugs and this really took him under.However he manages to emerge as a likeable character and he has written in a refreshingly frank way about his life.I really enjoyed reading this book.
on 9 February 2015
He doesn't come across as the nicest chap but I have a grudging respect for his honesty and by the end of it, I was surprised to find I didn't hate him.

His relationship with Debbie Reynolds is a touching stone throughout the book. It also goes into details of Elizabeth Taylor's first husband & Eddie's friend Mike Todd (-of Around the World in 80 Days fame), and the making of Cleopatra & Elizabeth's subsequent affair with Richard Burton. He really doesn't paint Richard Burton in a kind light, and despite his excessive declarations of how great Elizabeth was, almost childishly ends up feeling he won in the end.

I was surprised with how little he mentioned his son with Debbie Reynolds, but he does talk some about Carrie Fisher.

There are some things he says about Debbie Reynolds that I just fail to believe. In particular what he claims she told his mother about herself sometime after they'd broken up.

There's a phrase he repeats throughout the book because his mother used to say it. When I say repeats, I mean he runs it into the ground. It lost the effect of a pleasant recall from earlier in the book, to "oh no, he's saying it again". Perhaps if it's read more casually, it would be more charming in that regard.

A good accompanying read to Debbie: My Life by Debbie Reynolds. I've yet to read Unsinkable: A Memoir, but given that Eddie's book was written after Debbie's first book, I look forward to reading it to see if it addresses anything. Not to mention how Eddie's passing affected her & her children.
on 28 August 2013
I agree that this a very readable book, You will need to detach yourself from the fact that Eddie thinks he's god's gift to the world though, which does really grate at times. There's a strong argument here too that actually he's a real heel for all the kiss and tell stories and sexual exploits in the book. He claims that Elizabeth Taylor was the true love of his life and he was devastated when she left. Yet she remarked on several occasions that he himself was no great shakes and nowhere in Todd or Burton's league. He was heart-broken he says when Taylor left him and felt betrayed ; pity he didn't feel like that when he did the same to Debbie Reynolds! Incidentally, she comes in for a real demolition job from Eddie, which makes you wonder where all that bile really came from.

To sum up, a readable account, but I couldn't empathise at all with Fisher. He comes across as a very selfish individual who got lucky when one of the world's most beautiful women needed a shoulder to cry on.
on 20 June 2015
Eddie dishes the dirt, tells it as it is.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse