Format: Flexibound|Change

on 29 November 2007
My 4 year old son has loved this book since he was 2. The poetry is zany ("there's a lizard in a blizard and it's fun to be outside, but bedtime's creeping closer, who will you ask for a ride?"), the illustrations are interesting and detailed. There are lots of flaps to lift, tabs to pull and twist and such interactive devices are always a hit with children.

I would sound a couple of notes of caution though. The pulling tabs aren't especially strong and a few on our book broke within a couple of months, despite my son being as careful as possible with them.

Also, this book is aimed at bedtime which we try to make a quiet and settling time. The last pages of this book contain a crunchy crocodile looking for toes to bite, a bear looking for a grrrrreat big squeeze and the "ticklemetoo" monkey. All these elements beg hysteria-inducing rough and tumble rather than sleepy settling. I challenge any parent to find a calming way to read the bit about the "ticklemetoo" monkey!

Overall a lovely book, but a touch too fragile and boisterous for bedtime.
on 26 June 2005
my son, who is just over one year old, adores this book and likes to read it every night. the craziness of the storyline combined with lots of clever flaps and moving parts allows him to participate and holds his interest. it also scores high on visual detail so there are lots of things i can ask him to look for and point at. best ever book i've seen yet.
on 20 February 2008
I agree with other reviewers about the lack of durability, We have had it only a few days and the tabs have had some heavy wear and tear already, despite me being on hand to show our enthusiastic 2 year old how to do them "carefully!!". The story is a bit random until you get into it a few times but the illustrations are so busy and lively that there is lots to talk about on every page. The tabs are great fun, and it is definately proving a big favourite already.
on 8 February 2005
A firm favourite for my little girl who just turned two. She is not quite old enough to operate it herself as you have to careful about torn flaps, but she loves it nevertheless and requests it most nights. Its delightful and colorful and elicits a lot of interaction. I would definately recommend it for 2yr olds.
on 30 May 2008
I introduced my daughter to this book a month ago when she was 9 months old, and it is by far her favourite book. She crawls over to it and lobs other books out of the way to get to it, and then happily sits turning the pages and opening and closing the flaps, she can't get enough of it no matter what time of day it is, although we also read it every night before bed as well. We've had to buy a second copy as I know she's going to tear something soon, but to date it has withstood her vigorous opening/closing/page turning! I would highly recommend it.
on 15 July 2010
My little boy, who's coming up 3, was bought this book about a year ago and he insists on having it read to him every night after his other story. It's a lovely book and he loves opening each of the flaps up although it is getting a bit battered now! It's a great book to end the day on.
on 24 November 2005
I have a 2 year old son and he loves this book. I love it too, it's one of my favourites to read to him. There's a lot of participation involved and loads of excellent rhymes! It's a bedtime hit, with it being read generally more than once a night!
on 19 January 2008
This is very popular in our household (two 3-year-olds and a 2-year-old), but unfortunately the pull-out tabs are not made to withstand enthusiastic toddlers for long! We're now investing in a replacement, which I try to avoid doing as I want the girls to learn to look after their books, but this is natural wear and tear rather than malicious damage. They also like Tickle Book and Christmas Bear by the same authors, but this one is the best - they particularly like the revolting dishes offered in the restaurant!
on 10 October 2012
My son absolutely loves this book, and the copy and illustrations are a lot of fun, but the materials used to print it on i.e. the cover thickness, the strength of the flaps etc. was not as thick and sturdy as expected. I own quite of bit of similar books, but this one is the only one, who's flaps don't stay closed after folding them back. Overall it is still a nice book and well-worth the price, but I would have rather paid a little more and had a book I could have kept around longer.
on 11 October 2010
great book. there are pop ups, pull tabs, flaps to open.... my son enjoys reading this at bedtime. great rhyming text too. excellent to keep babies entertained. the book is a riot of lots of things to do, look at. great book. great value for money. book was in great condition, arrived before stated time.