Who are 'Beatles' wheres a good place to start for the novice ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Nov 2012 18:09:43 GMT
is there an essentials or something ?

Posted on 22 Nov 2012 20:48:38 GMT
Why not start with their first album and work your way along?

Posted on 29 Nov 2012 19:12:23 GMT
Well I would probably start with a best of. Probably '1' or the red and blue albums, (62-66 and 67-70 respectively). There's nothing wrong with starting with the first album as Jonathan suggests, but it will obviously take you longer, be more costly and not give you such an instant overview of their output.

Posted on 29 Nov 2012 22:44:49 GMT
Start with the red and blue compilations (62-66 & 67-70) and marvel at how far a band can travel in such a short space of time and take it from there.
They really hit their stride from Rubber Soul onwards, personally, I wouldn't start with Please Please Me.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012 23:04:09 GMT
The only reason I hesitated to advise '62-66' was although it's a double, it's not particularly good value for money as the tracks are so short!
It's a very good starting point though. Individual albums can be very personal, and some people will favour one over another. Most are enjoyable in their own way though. I always liked 'Revolver'.

Posted on 4 Dec 2012 16:15:31 GMT
Perhaps a compilation album would be better.
I was bought the Red Album (62-66) on cassette when I was about 10 and it seems like a good place to start.
I did think that it might be interesting for someone to discover The Beatles in the same way that the UK record-buying public did in the 1960s, i.e. in chronological order, but yes, it would cost a fair bit.
I guess time may have taken away some of the excitement that accompanied the sound of the early Beatles and I know quite a few people who generally don't listen to their earlier work. Which is a shame, because the first two albums in particular (especially on the mono CDs, and hopefully the forthcoming mono vinyl), show just how good a rock 'n' roll band they were.

Posted on 25 Mar 2013 03:43:02 GMT
PETER XUEREB says:
As a first generation Beatles fan, I would also recommend the Red and Blue albums as a starting point. You may find you might like a certain period of their music whether it be early Beatlemania (to 1965), Studio Years (to 1967) or later years (1968-70).

Posted on 1 Apr 2013 11:56:58 BDT
The true Beatle sound was Please Please Me album through to Help. The sound they produced afterwards is no different to others at the time or since (though great songs). The sound of the Beatles was the excitement and fun of the 62-65 period.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  19 Nov 2012
Latest post:  1 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Beatles In Stereo Vinyl Box [Boxed Set] [VINYL]
The Beatles In Stereo Vinyl Box [Boxed Set] [VINYL] by The Beatles (Vinyl - 2012)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (254)