This game gives the Lannister and Stark core units and leaders for those who want to fight battles set in the "A Game Of Thrones" world. The basic model is Battlelore a design from the fertile mind of Richard Borg. Borg has produced a number of similar games; the one closest to this one is probably "Command & Colors: Ancients" from GMT Games. Despite the lack of complexity compared to many wargames the designer of "Westeros" has incorporated a number of differences from that line of games. There is plenty of strategic thinking to be done in how you use your commands and your cards. I found the little figures a bit of a pain compared to the wooden blocks of "Command & Colors: Ancients", but once assembled and securely glued they look very impressive. The game system has a good mixture of planning and randomness and has done a decent job of getting the features of the books into the game, notably by the use of keywords.

High quality components.
on 17 July 2011
After watching a video review of this game on YouTube I was a little worried about buying this game but took the plunge. The guy reviewing it was an American Gamestore owner (I guess) and was generally running the game down for its lack of "pick up and playability" due to the preparation necessary putting the figures together and punching the counters out, etc. Yes, this is a problem, and anyone who wants a game that can be played almost instantaneously after opening the box, then this is probably not their best choice! For myself this is not a problem and after seeing Fantasy Flight Games' web page about the figure painting I decided to paint mine! Now I always paint any gaming figures I have but not at this scale (for example, all the figures in Zombies!!! was just too daunting a task so I didn't bother) but I took another plunge and got on with it! It took me well over a week's worth of work time to finish all of the figures in the box but they are now ready for play and look so much better than unpainted figures, which although being colour-coded for each faction, just makes it so much easier to identify units on the board and looks so much more pleasing to the eye! The guy also ran the game down for being a "Battlelore" game when in reality it isn't, just using the Battlelore basics for its game system. Never having played this game was therefore not a factor for me so I can't criticise it for that. So, if you are prepared to put some effort into preparing the game then it is good, and if you are purely a gamer then you may still find it good if you are happy playing games with the playing pieces purely as tokens or counters (which for years gone by was all you got with your board games!) So for 3d appeal and playability I give this game 8 out of 10! I guess watching A Game of Thrones on Sky Atlantic opened this universe to me and I am now preparing to read all of Martin's A song of ice and fire books.
on 13 July 2015
A great game for all fans of the books and TV series. The game reflects the battles between the Starks and Lannisters in the initial stages of the war of the 5 kings and the gaming system reflects the asymmetrical nature of the two armies. Combat can be tense with players praying and cursing over the results of dice rolls which can make the difference between victory and defeat. The quantity of figures also adds to the grand depiction of battle and was a wise choice to reflect the grandeur of the franchise.

As with many fantasy flight games, the rulebook is length and requires a significant amount of cross referencing. I have played this game many times now, and I think I only figured out some rules by the 5th or 6th attempt at playing. Many of the units have specialised rules in regards to how they react to other units that takes a while to get used to, but these rules are justified in the dynamics of the game. However, once you get passed the rules then this becomes an engrossing game and will be appreciated by all fans of a Song of Ice and Fire and strategy games in general.
on 26 March 2014
We were quite happy with this game, it has good mechanics where you take turns with ordering individual units which makes it a bit more active than a traditional wargame.
You get a lot of stuff for your money, and the miniatures are all good quality. Rules take a little time to get the hang of but you just really need to have a practice battle first then its fine.

A couple of things hold it back from being a real regular game for us, which are mainly set up time & its brutality.

This really is more of a proper wargame than a boardgame, and this doesn't necessarily work great for us at its the sort of thing you want to be able to leave set up. Also it would probably help if you make some movement trays for the units to help set up time.

The other is that it feels like just a bit of bad luck means you'll lose, and you can't come back from it. Maybe this is as there are missions that you follow and some are much harder or weighted to one side too much.
on 12 August 2013
I can`t fault it. If you intend to paint the miniatures included (and believe me, there are hundreds) then you will be in gamer`s paradise. Unpainted, the detail and the potential to make this game stand out above the norm will be totally lost.

Like all FFG games, the rules read a little awkwardly, and in places I feel they are a bit `clunky`, but I simply re-wrote the rules for myself and now everything works fine. However, even as is, the rules are highly streamline and very playable. The addition of the cards decks is also visually attractive.
on 2 December 2010
It's a great board game with lots of replayabilaty and lots of fun
It already has 2 expansions and more expansions are to come
From now it only can be played with 2 players but with an epic expansion maybe ther could be up to 4 players
on 13 September 2015
Fast delivery, just as description
on 19 July 2012
A good fast playing board game. It was easy to pick up the rules, although some took play testing to really understand. looking forward to buying an expansion game
on 17 September 2015
brill
on 6 October 2014
present for family member who says complicated but getting there