on 21 October 2007
This is a really interesting and enlightening read for photography beginners; although more advanced readers would likely still get a lot from its carefully written and well-presented content.

All major areas of composition and styles are covered with at least one excellent example image given to support the descriptions.

It's an intelligently written book that presents facts and ideas succintly, so time spent reading remains rewarding and effective.
on 17 June 2010
Though I have been using photography for over 50 years, this is the first well written book of why composition is needed and explains the theory of the subject and why 'composition' is used to make a good photograph by using croping and by the use of lead-ins and foreground interest...

This is also well illustrated and goes into the therory of a 'well designed' picture.
on 6 November 2010
I tend to agree with A Smith's review - while this book includes all the fundamentals of composition and covers a lot of ground, it still somehow feels lacking.

I bought this along with Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye at the same time. I read David's book first and was surprised to find myself struggling to get through it, as early as page 20 I was struggling to put my finger on why the book was so unenjoyable to read. Perhaps the tone is too dry, it lacks warmth and personality (sorry David!). Topics are presented with reasonable brevity, no subject or concept is explored in huge detail and it sometimes reads like a pure statement of fact, when what I really wanted was to feel like I had an experienced photographer sitting next to me sharing ideas and experiences (as well as the facts/rules etc). It was a bit of a chore reading, for me anyway. On the positive side it could be useful as a reference as the book is fairly compact compared to many and most topics only have a page or two on them.

I picked up The Photographer's Eye next - what a relief as I was starting to wonder if I was going off photography! Michael's book was much easier to read. Ideas and concepts were presented and discussed in a more engaging way and I flew through it feeling like I was taking in a lot more. I thought Michael's book explored topics in a bit more depth, the tone was much more conversational and more photographic examples are given (physically it's just a bigger book).

In summary David's book is fine and I am certainly not sorry I bought or read it, but if you can only buy one my personal preference was Michael Freeman's The Photographer's Eye.
on 11 December 2009
Purchased this book as Part of my course. It is clearly presented with lots of Photographs (as You might expect). Great for beginners who want to jump in and find information quickly.
on 27 October 2010
I bought this book after reading other people's great review. The book itself covers areas as follow:
- Basic elements
- Organising space
- Organising time
- Application
- Originality
- Conclusion

I was excited when I read the introduction, however, after that, every time I finish a chapter I have this nagging incomplete feeling, unlike with most of the other photography books with good reviews, where I feel "a-ha yes I can relate to that, and ok, I know how to take better pictures now"; but sadly I don't get this feeling with this book.

I am not sure why, but probably because the book is mainly written in a 'dictionary' style. There are more pages on description of the basic elements than in any other chapters, and just a few pages on application itself.

For those who are looking for a book with an explanation of basic terms then this book will help you; if you are looking for a book that will inspire you and give you ideas - this is not one of them.
on 23 January 2016
Not exactly riveting reading but technically sound.