Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 August 2004
Never having read anything on mixing, I was intrigued into buying this book to see what hints and tips I could pick up. As an introduction it's excellent, offering practical advice including down-and-dirty guideline figures for which frequencies to think about boosting for vocals, how best to go about mixing, what equipment is ideal (as well as what will just do, if you're on a budget) and so on. It is aimed at both home recording enthusiasts and those with more professional studios to play with (I mean, of course, work with!)
The sections are: Planning, Mixing Tools, Recording Vocals, Balancing, Mix Automation. One word of warning: of the book's 189 pages, a good third are taken up with an extensive glossary which is repeated in the other books of this series - and it didn't include the one term I wanted to look up! But still, as stated, as an introduction to the subject it fits the bill, and is well-enough priced to meet the needs of the curious home-recorder wanting to make their efforts sound that little bit more professional.
on 20 September 2000
I was looking for a cheap book with hints on how to do a good mix of vocals and other instruments. As I already had two other books by Paul White I thought that he might treat the subject fairly. Well, almost - but not quite!
The problem of this book is not White's competence in the field - that seems to be good enough. And I already know that he can write. But this book has several editing flaws! As an example, pg. 56 refers to a figure 8.5 that doesn't exist - notice, there is no figure in the book showing what the text says it should, so the figure is lacking altogether! The paragraph "pre-planning MIDI" shows also symptoms of bad editing as the only place in the text mentioning anything about MIDI is the headline - the rest of that paragraph talks about tapes and overdubs. No doubt relevant, but not what the heading said...
I would have give the book more stars, but not before a better edited version comes out. Until then I would recommend other books.
on 24 December 2015
Fantastic book as are the rest in the series! Paul White is ex BBC and is now Editor-in -Chief at Sound on Sound Magazine so he knows his onions!

I'll be honest and say that I originally bought a couple of his books as a way of getting my order over the minimum level for free delivery, but these books are well-worth the money as reference material. I like the clear explanations Paul gives and the fact that they're almost pocket-sized!

I got the physical books not the digital editions and carry them in my bag for reference! At the mine t a friend has borrowed my entire collection of Paul's books and has "read them all from cover to cover".

Audio theory doesn't change all that much so even although they were written a while ago they are still current enough to be worth reading!
on 19 April 2016
I bought this book along with two others which are similar in the series (Audio/Digital Recording & one I can't remember the name of at this moment in time) roughly 10 years ago when I first started venturing in the world of audio recording in my late teens, thanks to these books providing me with helpful information and insight into technical terms and meanings that I hadn't really fully understood or encountered before it has helped me massively over the last decade. I now own and run 2 recording studios in England and have done a multitude of work for various bands and artists. Thanks to this book it has helped me carve a career out of something that originally started at a hobby.

Even if occasionally I need to look in the glossary section to refresh my memory on something I may be having problems with!
on 21 April 2015
When you read this book, it's fairly apparent that the references tend to lean towards analogue mixing desks, tape or DAT recorders and much older MIDI equipment, so a lot if the info becomes a little irrelevant or at least one step removed from today's technology, ie Hard Disk recording, DAWs (Cubase, protools etc). That being said, there are some fundamentals that are still very relevant, like the basics of getting a good mix, and the principles of recording correctly. For this reason, it's certainly easily worth the price.
on 21 July 2012
I have brought a number of these "basic" books and all of them are very well written and clearly outlined It is a basic guide and does not claim to be advanced but for anyone who wants to learn about Audio Engineering or just wants to be more involved in their music either as a mucician or as a sound engineer its a great place to start.
on 7 January 2015
Great book with all the basics of mixing, just as it says on the cover though so don't expect a pro book but. It's much smaller than it looks so it's a nice little handy book to carry in your pocket and whack out on the train and it's perfect for my research project.
on 23 March 2014
I have to rely on my son's review - I bought this and another in the series and actually had to call him to Christmas dinner twice because he was so engrossed.
on 20 February 2015
Glad I purchased this book as it is still used today and has been worth the money paid.
on 30 June 2015
A great read and very informative too.