VINE VOICEon 20 October 2002
When in traffic you can gesticulate. Then leave the other driver to extrapolate the meaning. However when you are sending e-mail, the only way to express your self is through phraseology. I correspond with corporate on a daily basis. The only thing they know about me is the e-mail, as they are several states away. This combination Bartlett's - Roget's Thesaurus allows me to convey my attitude and keep my job.
All kidding aside, this combination book is useful for putting words in context. In addition, there are several tables set in relevant locations of the book. Some of the tables are:
. Christian Holy Days and Seasons
Some of the Notable Friendships are:
. Lone Ranger and Tonto
. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza
. Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas
Before you ask where are Pelleas and Melisande, they are in the table of "Famous Lovers if Fact and Fiction."
on 16 July 2001
I collect Dictionaries in 5 languages however only had 2 Thesauri so far, one of them this one. A couple of weeks ago, at work, an associate from Brasil visited me and saw on my desk this Thesaurus (I do a lot of translations from Spanish and German into English)and wondered what it was. I took it, showed him how to use it and how to get the most out of it, etc.. Then he mentioned that if he would own a book like this, his English correspondence would improve a lot but his own English vocabulary would get soo much better. Long story short: I gave him my Thesaurus and needless to say how happy he was. It is now about 3 weeks that I gave the book away and I miss it terribly and decided to purchase it again- hopefully thru Amazon not to have to carry it from the US on my next trip!! After surfing over an hour (I am no expert with the Internet!!) I am soo happy to have found it, and cannot wait for my new Thesaurus (identical to the one I gave away) to arrive!! It's really a great help and makes my life so easy, while still learning new words daily!!
on 5 March 1997
I've used a lot of thesauruses over the years, including Roget's International Thesaurus intensively through several editions, and the new Bartlett's eclipses them all. The latest Roget's International Thesaurus is in some respects inferior to previous editions, as I was no longer finding the exact word I was looking for. I have an extremely high success rate with this new Bartlett version. It's fun just to browse around in it. Many quotations.
on 15 June 2000
Somehow, I missed this one until just this summer - actually when loking for Bartlett's Thesaurus on Amazon.com. I have looked it over, made use of it and find it even better than Roget's International. I did not think that was possible! This is unquestionably the best thesaurus available.
on 15 September 2014
It's American
on 30 December 1997
Extraordinary, marvelous, wondrous, astounding, remarkable, outstanding