on 4 July 2007
I bought this and several other tech books for my degree and this was by far the best...very comprehensive and in depth coverage, far more information than Chudley- highly recommended, especially for those who have to produce detailed drawings to regs as part of their course.
on 25 August 2010
I lecture in construction at Southampton Solent University and have found this to be the best available textbook for students of Architecture, Architectural Technology, Construction and Building Surveying currently available. It has been comprehensively updated and I have not found any major errors. It is clear and comprehensive and I would not hesitate to recommend it, with Barry's Advanced Construction of Buildings, to students studying construction technology.
on 5 February 2009
I embarked on a 1 year QS conversion course and this book proved invaluable for someone with no previous knowledge.
on 1 July 2011
I wanted a book to help me with my architecture course and this book is a godsend for me. The book is well structured; each element is separated into chapters so you can easily look for the material you need. They included technical drawings and illustrations which are easy to understand and helpful, specially to a first year like me.

All in all, a fantastic book which illustrates ad defines the many aspects of construction cohesively and would recommend to anyone who needs a good reference book.
on 19 May 2012
This book is truly something special. When purchasing books on construction technology most books cover the basics like walls, windows and roofs so I was amazed when I saw chapters dedicated to U values and thermal bridging. It is difficult to find books with that complexity and depth.

It even addresses the calculation of U values, thermal resistance and heat loss which is more in depth environmental construction/engineering. That alone could be made into a small book but additionally it discusses timber processing which is great for anyone with a course tailored to material science within construction.

The depth of the services provision is far superior to any other text book I have read. It reads well and provides a wider scope to the whole topic. The diagrams are great and thoroughly explained. Its like getting 3/4 books in one!
on 10 June 2011
I bought this book, along with its sister publication (advanced construction of buildings) and I can honestly say they truly are gems. Easy to follow, read and comprehend. I thoroughly recommend these series to anyone embarking on construction related study. All your questions answered quickly.
on 29 August 2009
Brilliant for the HNC Building Studies course which I am currently partaking. Haven't found a better book yet
on 19 September 2012
I've used all the other standard texts that people recommend such as Chudley and Construction of Houses by Marshall amongst others and this is by far the best. I mainly bought it because I needed to do some research on modern roof coverings and this was the only book to give a good summary.

Of course, no book can give a complete guide and so I would also recommend the Construction Technology series by Riley & Howard. They come in three volumes where the second talks about commercial buildings. Worth a look if you don't like this book.
on 14 October 2015
Outlines all the fundamentals, and assumes you know nothing.
A book for an absolute beginner - an Introduction - nothing here to add to your knowledge.
Contains few practical details, tables or lists.
Written in the last century, the presentation and ability to look-up stuff are very poor.
on 4 September 2010
Good and detailed book; was advised by my teacher and it's definitely been of good use!