on 12 September 2000
This is Barry Took's second skimmings from his many years as compere of Radio 4's The News Quiz, the best topical comedy programme in the land. Unfortunately, this definitely *feels* like second skimmings. Topical comedy necessarily dates pretty quickly, and while Barry Took's Pick Of The News Quiz One is jam packed with items still amazingly fresh, this volume really does feel like a trip down memory lane & it does sometimes drag quite a bit.
However, don't let me put you off because there is some cracking good stuff here, and although I've listened to these cassettes many times over, each time I still find myself laughing happily at varied items. I think my favourite parts of this set are the utterly fabulous contributions from the late comic genius John Wells and the clippings... clippings humour never dates! I would recommend buying Volume One first, but if you already own that, then Volume Two is well worth your time & money.