on 11 April 2009
This is Hepworth's life, but as she saw it, and as much (or little) as she wanted to tell us.

It's put together almost like a photo album with commentary, with snapshots of stages of her life, photos of people, places, her work and press cuttings. Difficult relationships and hard times are passed over quickly, although from other reports she was far from an easy person.

There are other, better and much glossier books on her artistic output, and plenty of biographical information that is more comprehensive, BUT
this is the one I pull out at least once a year, and re-read. It evokes the period, the overriding need to create, her studio and garden, in a way that other books don't seem to. Cuttings of her death are the final entries.

I bought my copy, my first book on Hepworth, the first time I visited Trewyn Studios, so perhaps I am biased in the atmosphere that this book conjoures up for me, but if you want a complete picture of her life, as she saw it, then you have to read this book as well.
on 1 September 2014
I bought this reduced at Tate Britain for £8.99 - it is the 2012 issue. Maybe they a having a clearance before the up coming Hepworth exhibition next year.
Every few pages there is some text by Hepworth, but mostly it is snaps of family and holidays, and press cuttings and pictures of her work, studio and contemporary artists she knew. Her pet cats also appear! It's all printed in black and white, the photos mostly good quality but some of the press cuttings are hard to read. It really gives an insight into her life, personal and professional - but it's not a critical study of her work in its context.
on 29 March 2013
It was great to see so many pictures and references. Obviously it lacks text to explain some of the pictures but happily we had an alternative book to provide her life story and descriptions of her art.
on 7 July 2014
Fantastic copy - it was an ex library book - so came with a lovely thick dustjacket.
on 8 January 2015
Book arrived prior to Christmas. Very pleased with purchase
on 6 April 2009
Barbara Hepworth has always lived in my memory since the TV programme shown when she was interviewed. I wish the book I purchased showed the statues she had made just for her garden. Her lifestyle towards the end of her life gave the impression of complete contentment, her death was a tragedy for us to lose such an enigmatic and skilful artisan.
on 10 November 2014