Format: Paperback|Change

A very short story comprising of the word "banana" being repeated doesn't sound like a good bedtime read - but Ed Vere pulls it off with this tale of sharing monkeys.

The book contains large colourful images of two monkeys which communicate clearly how they are feeling - and that's crucial to the story and central to the genius of how the word "banana" gives a different message depending on how it is said. For example, "Banana?" and "BANANA!!!" portray same word in very different ways, and the way you say the word drives the story in a simple way that is naturally understood by children of all ages. This gives me a chance to do funny voices, something which my children love and I enjoy doing!

Children intuitively know that how you say a word can change what it is that you're saying and convey the emotions behind it, but it's something they probably never really actively think about it - this book is a great chance to analyse (albeit in a simplistic way) the way they use language to make themselves understood. But above all - it's a fun book and a good one to have handy when they are very tired and you want a *quick* story before bedtime for the sake of your own sanity!
on 20 July 2009
My 3.5 yr old loves it, so does my 1.5 year old as he recognises the image of a banana and can say the word. They love the funny ways you can express the emotions of the characters in the book and fall about laughing waiting to see what silly expression or voice I will give the characters. I love this book, although its not for readers who like to just read a story aloud as you have to be prepared to get involved - pulling funny faces and using different voices, after all there are only 2 different words in the whole book! Brilliant book.
on 20 November 2009
As a 44 year old child, I love this book because the drawings always make me smile. On the basis that the simplest things are often the best (or should that be the best things are often the simplest...) I implore children of ALL AGES to buy this.
on 15 December 2007
This is the book of choice for parents who can't face another long read but would like to get involved in their children's literary development. All it takes is a mastery of the word "banana" and a desire to shake off your inhibitions. In fact the more animated the narrator, the more fulfilling this experience will be. The plot, although simple and predictable is not the main focus here, and that's where the brilliance comes in. The more you read this book, the better you will be at reading it. Highly recommended!
on 7 April 2009
I originally got this as I thought it may encourage my nearly 3 year old twin girls to say 'please'. They love to read it to themselves saying 'banana' with increasing animation. They just love the drama that the pictures encourage. I can't say they use the word 'please' more, but they do adore the book.
This book only has two words in it, 'banana' and 'please'. The pages are acid bright with spare but wonderfully lively illustrations of the trauma of the relationship between two monkeys and only one banana.

Vere's clever use of line makes for some fabulous monkey expressions which tell the whole story way better than hundreds of words could do. It is highly entertaining, full of humour and just delicious. We loved it, particularly the page where the monkey without the banana has a full on temper tantrum. In fact, that page was so good, we have spent many minutes gazing at it in rapture. There's nothing better than a child watching someone else having a full on attack of rage. It is wonderfully compelling.
VINE VOICEon 11 April 2013
If anyone had said to me my kids would be entertained by a book that only contains two different words (banana and please) I would have thought they were mad, but this was the first book my son really took to. He wanted it read over and over again. Partly that's because the punctuation changes the emphasis of the word, so you go from `Banana?' to `BANANA!!!!'

My husband had a great time acting like a spoilt monkey demanding a banana!

As well as little ones, I keep thinking this would be a great aid to teachers or lecturers of adults to highlight the importance of punctuating correctly!

A great little book, we love it.
on 27 April 2012
This is a brilliant book about a baby monkey who wants someone else to give him a banana...this is a really funny book for children particularly of 3-5 years of age. It goes through the range of emotions the poor baby monkey goes through when pleading for his Banana!!!!! I recommend it as a great present :)The kids at the school I help at are now trying to borrow it first when getting it as a library book...it will be in demand now for many weeks as there are 32 children in the class!!!Banana!
on 5 November 2012
I bought the French version of this book to use in my lessons, the pictures tell the story so it's great for those with limited language skills (babies/toddlers/young language learners. I act out the story and the kids LOVE if you're really animated when you read it. It's bright, colourful and the pictures are so appealing. I've not yet met a child that doesn't love this story, if only there were more like it!!!
on 21 May 2008
The reason I like the book Bannana is the picutres are bright and coulorful
I have read this book at school with Lucy in my Library group