Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 November 2011
Insurrection: Book 2 of the Bakkian Chronicles, follows on from Book 1, where readers were introduced to Steve and Sarah, a happily married couple from the US of A who find out their (now deceased) ancestors had the ability to travel to another world (Lentari) via a magical portal in their manor home. They find themselves knee-deep in a century-old prophecy, whereby they must protect the Prince of Lentari: the conclusion of Book 1 being that they return with him to their home in Idaho!

Enter Book 2. Steve and Sarah, who, by the way, have their own unique magical powers (Jhorun), hear of a kidnapping back on the world of Lentari, and return to the magical land, leaving behind the young Prince (Mikal) with Sarah's sister (Annie) and his tutor from Lentari (Tristan). What follows is a continuation of the plot hinted at in Book 1, whereby sinister forces are at bay, and seek to use the Prince's own Jhorun for their own nefarious means! Steve and Sarah, modern-day magical-swashbuckling partners in crime (so to speak) pull no punches as they seek to rescue the Queen and uncover the sinister plot behind the unfolding events. Filled with humour, adventure, magic and bravado, Insurrection is a finely-crafted work, which I am glad to say, seemed built upon the errors learned from Book 1, which is an indication that the author, Jeffrey Poole, is a craftsman as well as an artist. Readers will find themselves silently cheering for our heroes as they open a case of whoop-ass on any and every foe who steps in their path. With the plot being built upon nicely, readers also have a bit of a hint as to what to expect in the third (and final?) instalment.

If I had anything negative to say about this book, besides it not being long enough ;), it would be that everything seemed to go the protanonists' way, which isn't such an issue with a YA novel, it is only the more die-hard epic fantasy fans who might want to see a bit more character evolution through struggle and loss. But other than that, I have no hesitation giving this gem 5 stars and recommending people add it (and Book 1) to their 'to-read' list.

Gutsy effort, Mr Poole, and I look forward to Book 3.

~Robert Day
[...]
on 1 November 2011
Bakkian Chronicles, Book II - Insurrection by Jeffrey Poole is the second book taking place in the world of Lentari. When Steve gets a message from the world of Lentari he and Sarah know something is drastically wrong. The Queen has been kidnapped! They decide to head back to lend their powerful jhorun's to the chase. Leaving Mikal with Sarah's sister Annie and Trisan, his bodyguard from Lentari they hop through the portal and return to the magical land.

The action in this book picks up much faster than it did in the first of the series. Since almost of the characters have been introduced you are dumped straight into an exciting chase as Steve and Sarah try to stop the kidnappers before they reach the border. The second in the series keeps all the strengths of the first and Jeffrey has grown a bit as a writer leading to a more polished book.

This book appeals to the same audience as book I although I believe there was a little bit more profanity this time. No f-bombs or anything just a few more swear words used. I am going to be looking forward to the third book in the series with a great deal of interest. Jeffrey has created a truly wonderful world populated with interesting and believable characters. If you have even the smallest interest in fantasy pick up the first book in the series and you will get sucked in.
on 5 October 2012
Having read the first novel, i was exceedingly excited to start on the second, I was not dissapointed in anyway, the story flows perfectly and is not disjointed in anyway with regards to story line and plot as some i have read can be. I have not enjoyed a book as much as these Bakkian Chronicles in a long time and i am more than a little excited at the thought of book number 3 and what it will contain.

If you enjoy fantasy novels that keep you enganged with Dragons and Magic then these books are most definitely for you. For myself i started with the Eragon series..i.e. the Inheritance series and it's been an absolute pleasure to find an author just as captivating as Mr Paolini.

To finish this brief review, I truly hope Geoffrey Poole keeps on writing such great novels !!
on 16 January 2013
Having got the first book free in a deal of the day and finished it in two days, I had to buy the second installment to continue the journey. Once again I was not disappointed. Great for teenagers and adults alike I can guarantee that I will be getting the third book. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
on 21 September 2012
I came back expecting to be wowed by this second installment of the Bakkian Chronicles... Let me tell you, I wasn't just wowed! I was picked up and swept away by a DRAGON!!! Steve and Sarah keep things hot once again in this second installation that brings more action with griffins, dragons, bandits, and lets not forget, MAGIC!!!

You knew as well as I did that Lentarii just wasn't going to let our couple get peace and quiet. No! What they wanted was a whole second book of intense story telling, revealing more of the overall plot, more characters, more understandings, more, I WANT TO READ WHAT'S NEXT!!!

Trust me, you will want to get reading this
on 3 October 2012
This lives up to the promise hinted at in the first book. From the first page I was transported back into the author's world of jhorun and dragons and couldn't put the book down.

Having read books I & II, I can't wait for book III. I suspect that Jeffrey M. Poole put together a synopsis for the entire series before fleshing out the first as books I & II have such a coherent feel and book II ends with a cliffhanger that should nicely tie it to the third in the series.

Heartily recommended.
on 30 July 2012
I concur with the other reviewers (and they do a better job of it than I could).

This was an excellent follow up book to the 1st book in the series. The start point for the book was excellent and got us involved from the beginning with the same characters and new ones added in, all the characters were developed really well as the book and their adventures progressed.

Overall one of my favourite ever read for the kindle and at under £2 - it was crazy value for money. Must buy.
on 4 June 2013
As the middle book of the trilogy,Insurrection, has to build on the excellent first book of the series(The Prophecy) but shape up for the final book. This the author does with great skill, his development has you turning pages at what seems like a record rate. In summary a marvellously imagined world and plot with believable and involving plot and characters. Bring on the final book entitled, ''The Amulate of Aria'' I do strongly reccommend this series as a great escapist read.
on 18 May 2012
This book was a super read, equal to book 1 in the series.

I was sorry to finish it and am looking forward to the publication of book 3.

The cast of charactors was developed well for this book and it was good to meet Sahars sister, Annie, I hope she continues into book 3, along with the dog, Peanut and the other good guys.

My only problem with the series ,so far, is that I am not sleeping because I am reading until too late into the night.
on 1 September 2012
Loved the first one, loved the second one, cant wait for the third one! Great characters, really easy to like the good guys, and a great dynamic between the core characters. Simple but dramatic plotlines and really easy to read.
I would like a bit more peril for the good guys, there isnt anything that Steve and Sarah cant get out of, but hey, it doesnt spoil my enjoyment of a great story!