Bagbase retro Shoulder Bag Black/Gold
Colour: PurpleChange
Price:£7.27+Free shipping

on 13 January 2012
My son was looking for (yet another) bag to take his books to and from school. He has used various rucksacks over the years, but even the costly ones have fallen apart within a year of use and to be honest, have not been able to adequately hold the number of books he seems to need to take. This time he said that he wanted a messenger-style bag, and not being prepared to pay the £40 for the "trendy" one that he wanted, I saw this and decided that for the price (and due to good experience with Bagbase products in the past), that this was worth a go.
Now - it has only been a week so far, but, it's the first time that I've not felt that that his bag was straining at the seams under the weight/size of the books and folders. So, initial impressions are very good. Will update on durability. Watch this space!

Aprl 2012 - I continue to be impressed by this bag. Not only has it survived 2 school terms, but there has yet to be a single day when it has not coped with the size or weight of the books that for some reason need to be carried to and from school each day. Given the price of this bag compared to previous purchases for this purpose (including a pretty expensive rucksack), I would be more than happy to buy another one of these - even if it broke next week.

July 2012 - Just adding ditto to the above comments. Now survived 6 months of daily school grind and it still looks good, has held together and has not been unable to hold any amount or size of required school books. I wish I'd found this years ago - it would have saved me a small fortune!

Jan 2013 - My final review for this bag. I have just replaced it (with the same bag) after 1 full year of use (including being taken on holidays; school trips and many weekends). Replaced more because it was looking quite tired and scrappy - but will still be able to be used.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 November 2010
As a new uni student, I was looking for an off-the-shoulder bag to carry my books to lectures and seminars, a twenty minute walk down (and the back up!) a hill, several times a day. After looking in the local shops and recoiling at the price (I am a poor student after all!) I decided to give the internet a try.

The bag in question arrived with no faults, was a gorgeous colour (I chose the light blue version), and a perfect size for books. It can just about fit a 15" laptop in it too, if you prefer to use new technology. The plastic buckle that allows you to change the strap length is reasonably sturdy but I think any excessively heavy useage will cause it to snap. However, for the price, a very good buy.
on 5 November 2011
This bag is the perfect size and shape for going to uni/school! can hold A4 ring binder plus netbook and other things without being too big and bulky. It also looks really cool....the picture does not do it justice!
on 7 September 2011
Bought this bag for my daughter for school. It is very good quality and very big.

She has just used the bag as a suitcase for a weekend away.

Back at school today it is packed with her school books etc. In addition it will also fit her PE kit. (we know this as her sister has had one of these bags for the previous school year and it is still going strong)

A big bag for a small price.
on 27 April 2012
As a student, I found this bag great for school. It fits all of my stuff, primarily due to base which is wider than the top, unlike most bags which get narrower.
This is the only messenger bag I have found to fit all of my school books, and it seems more durable than the others so I think it can cope with the stress, if not I will update this review. Since buying, a lot of my friends have bought the same bag, and the variety of colours makes it a great choice.
All in all a great buy and for a great price, the only thing I would say is there is a plastic section in the middle which is used to split the main compartment, which I have no use for. I push this plastic to the back and there is no problem, so not really a negative at all, just a feature which I find unnecessary.

Edit: 8 months on this bag is still going strong, leaving me a very happy customer. Worthwhile purchase and highly recommended.
on 6 January 2011
I wanted a shoulder bag big enough to supplement my small rucksack for a week away from home and small enough to use for work.

A bit bigger than a large messenger style bag, but with a much larger capacity this is the perfect size.

I wasn't entirely sure about the retro-style when I ordered it, but it's a little bigger than I imagined (no bad thing) and the matt canvas look works well so that it doesn't shout 'look at me!' At least I hope not.

Of much more importance to me is its functionality.

I went away for Xmas for a week and had my clothes in my small rucksack. In my new shoulder bag, I managed to comfortably fit a small netbook, Kindle, flask and large cup, various cables and chargers, proper headphones (not earphones), compact camera, a notepad, some small gifts, a large toiletries bag, cuddly toy. OK, I confess, the cuddly toy had to stay at home.

The main compartment of the bag has a tall and firm divider so that you can keep a laptop and/or a folder full of papers in it. The other side seems to kind of expand the more you put in it, so even if you only carry a few things around with you, it doesn't look over-sized. There's also a much smaller inside zip compartment useful for storing keys, wallet or something of that size.

The outer zip pocket is useful for keeping your mobile device, camera, notepad, travel tickets and other smaller items that you might want to access quickly and easily.

Although I haven't used it for this purpose yet, it would be great to use for something like going swimming, too.

For the price, style (and choice of colours), size and functionality I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better.
on 21 May 2014
I have had this bag since August 2012. It is now May 2014.
Having use this bag almost every day at sixth form for nearly 2 years I have a lot to say

Design:
It's not the kind of super dry, gola, adidas or fred perry bag you see being carried around at school in their hundreds. If thats what you're after then go hand over a ridiculous sum of money for something half the material value of this piece of kit. It is simple, plain but funky. This bag is less flashy than those shiny chav bags and has a retro-ish fabric texture

Size:
Perfect. In one word. I can fit a Laptop, an overly full lever arch file, my lunch, two a-level textbooks, a water bottle and a small Asian first year in there. Doesn't look bulky and you don't look like a tosser either!

Durability:
Ok so you are expecting the zipper to break or the shoulder strap to snap, but no. simply no. This thing is a fortified tank! I have loaded that bag with stuff that simply shouldn't be put in bags. The damage after 2 years of abuse? A slightly dirty off white lining, a minuscule hole in the corner and a slightly bent zip handle. Jesus, What is this thing made of, I just want it to break so I can prove that miracles do happen. Not even a fraying of the joint between the strap and bag. I know right, incredible!

I have just realised that its now only £3.24!!!!!!!! what? such value....I don't even.... I just can't.... mind blown.

This is the standard for any bag manufacturer to follow

10/10 A* full UMS

Thanks Bagbase

Jek

p.s. watch out bagbase, I'm planning on selling this technology to the Iranian government
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 February 2011
At last, a shoulder bag that is big enough for both personal use and occasional shopping. This really is a big shoulder bag, loads of room, ideal for my SLR camera equipment plus room for extras. The strap for a change can be adjustable to fit even very big people, like me, with a 50 inch chest and large thick storm jacket. It is very comfortable in use, and feels very strong with a good zip. It also looks very smart.
on 12 September 2011
I am a school student in my last year and looked into this bag and it is perfect it arrived on time and was in perfect condition when it arrived. It is the perfect size for carrying all my books and my lunch with room to spare. It also has a divider in the middle so I can keep my lunch away from my books. Overall a great item and would defiantly suggest it to a friend.
on 16 July 2012
I was pleased with this bag as soon I opened it! It is really spacious - has enough room for a bit of food shopping, my lunch, keys, makeup,mobile phone, pens,a newspaper, a diary, a note book - more room than most retro bags of this design. The bag is also stylish, sturdy and easy to clean. There is an external side pocket with a zip which is useful for storing a newspaper, your letters or anything you want easy access to. Inside the bag there is a small zipped pocket/wallet which is ideal for makeup/keys/pens. I would reccommend this bag to anyone (women, men, elderly, children) especially at this price. I would buy it again.