Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Aug 2007 14:25:12 BDT
How come the bad reviews on here are seen, pretty much totally, as "not useful", yet Amazon don't remove them?
A bad review is fine, if it's well written and makes good points. But the bad reviews on here are just idiotic. People moaning because this series shows sex and violence because the Roman's weren't "really like that"? Give me a break. They were WORSE!
As for the stupid argument that it's not historically accurate - BIG DEAL. I can't believe the people that gave this series a bad review actually bought, and watched this entire boxset. They're writing reviews based on watching a couple of episodes at best. If I review an album after listening to two songs, it's not likely to be a true reflection of the complete piece is it?
Pseudo(or wannabe if you like)-historians giving this fantastic series a bad review simply because they think they know better is just ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2007 23:12:27 BDT
i consider The series ROME 1 and 2 , to be the best thing I have ever watched on TV , I was completely swept awya by it , It was so inventive and radical in it approach to this subject .
Anyboy at anytime can find fault with anything , I dont take much notice of the people who have rate d this badly , as there will always be dissent . and unanimous agreement can be Dull after a while .
I could literally write and talk about Rome for hours , It was a daring project to bring history to life , impart the spirit of ancient Rome , and perhaps help us understand them better .
the fact that it has a timely message for us is summed up in the opening credits with the skull perched on the wheel , a fine symbol of the insecurities of life . as trues then as now .
10 out of 10

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2007 11:17:16 BDT
I totally agree. If you do read about ancient Rome, you soon realise that they were about as bloodthirsty as they come. One example- killing people in the name of entertainment? And we thought live sex on big brother was bad. Some of the reviews just say things like "it sucks" Well that's helpful isn't it? No of course not.

I loved this series and one of the fantastic extras is "all roads lead to Rome" flashes fascinating facts on screen while you enjoy the series. It makes you realise that Rome is actually far more historically accurate then you might believe. Besides, the history of the Romans was often written by men keen to flatter their leaders, so who knows how true it really is?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  17 Aug 2007
Latest post:  6 Oct 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Rome: The Complete HBO Season 1 (6 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [2006]
Rome: The Complete HBO Season 1 (6 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [2006] by Kevin McKidd (DVD - 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (126)