Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 March 1998
This is a wonderfully illustrated book of a little girl that is so concerned with everyone's opinion of her that she stops being herself.In the very beginning she goes through outfit after outfit to wear before her first day of school, stops eating her favorite food-lima beans because the kids tease her.Her adventure begins when she wakes up with colored stripes the next day and has to go to school like that! Better to have eaten the limas! When the kids in class discover that she turns red, white & blue during the Pledge of Allegiance they go nuts calling out shapes, sizes, colors that she automatically turns as they yell suggestions! It's an interesting study on human nature. It shows that you should always be yourself and not worry what ANYONE thinks of you whether you eat limas or dress in red polka dots! You can't be all things to everyone and if you try, you will be taken advantage of, as those kids did in class. They had no mercy on her condition.
Camilla found out that she can be herself whether the kids liked it or not!
HERE'S TO LIMA BEANS!
on 25 September 1998
We thought that that this book was perfect. The drawings were great. Theillustrator drew some excellent pictures. The author wrote a super story. Mr. Palaio's Second Group at Perry Primary
on 1 April 1998
Just want to mention that the illustrations in this picture book are positively AWESOME. While that word is often overused today, it is aptly applied to this book. It's not to be missed by anyone who appreciates a spectacular picture book! My now 8 and 10 year old have not stopped looking at it. Of course we believe one is never too old for a great picture book.
on 4 December 2014
David Shannon writes the best books. His characters feel real, they are not cookie cutter. "A Bad Case of Stripes" does not disappoint. Camilla has trouble making up her mind. She worries what other people will think of her, even when choosing a dress. She won't reveal that she likes lima beans, so she hides her real self. She begins to change, become distorted, and soon nobody recognizes her until an older woman tells her she knows the real person is in there somewhere. The moral is no matter what others are telling you, you have to be true to yourself. Don't be afraid to say what you like and if people don't like you for it- well, then it's their loss. A wonderful book, however, I think the age group should be older. Younger kids may be alarmed when Camila changes too much. Good book for discussion on peer pressure and acceptance.
on 11 April 2013
Great buy awesome service. I am in love with this book so much. Great for kids, though I myself bought it for me, Guess I am a big kid and I love the illustrations , highly recommend it, as it teaches a child to be themselves in a funny and creative way. Great buy x
on 25 September 1998
We loved this book. We liked the story. There were some great funny drawings in this book. We want to read alot more of his work. Mr. Palaio's Fourth Group at Perry Primary
on 9 January 2015
This is such a wonderful book. Colourful, fun and a little unusual. Yes it's American, so you have to explain what lima beans are and why on earth they're standing up pledging allegiance to a flag! It's a good starting point for talking to your child about being themself and not necessarily having to fit in with the crowd. If you've got a child who is feeling "different" in a negative way then also read Max Lucado's You are Special (really helped my godson when he was diagnosed with dyslexia.) Enjoy!
on 16 November 2015
My 7 year olds favourite book, such a good story about being yourself and listening to your feelings. My son has Aspergers and this book really appealed to him. He loved the pictures and really took a lot from the book about trying to talk about how your feeling rather than fighting against those feelings. Loved this book, it was good for our family.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 October 2011
This is a delightfully illustrated story about the perils of not following your own heart. Mixed into the story are some themes of peer pressure and conformity.

This makes it all seem rather serious - and while there is not really much subtly in the way the messages are delivered, the book itself is wonderfully silly. Key to this are the illustrations, where the books central character changes colour, shape and texture at the whim of her classmates. These really are the best bit of the book.

Eventually the heroine of the story follows her own heart and all is well. I'm not sure how familiar the cure will be to many people outside the USA - but that claim could be made about many foods.

I think this would be a worthy addition to any kid's bookshelf, but something tells me it may be more popular with adults then the kids.

I would recommend it.
on 6 November 2014
A lovely story with fantastic illustration. We currently live in Italy and it is the book my 6 year old is reading with his class. All the nationalities of children love it!