This neatly presented 155 CD box set includes the entire lifetime works of the great JS Bach. This is an incredible achievement which should be appreciated by everyone, and especially by the Bach admirer who (like me) has spent considerable time searching for some of the composer's lesser known works.
Far too much material to review in depth, suffice to say that there is no problem with the recordings or the performers of these works and there should be absolutely no hesitation in buying this bargain.
To briefly describe the set, it consists of six sections:
1. Orchestral works and chamber music.
2. Keyboard works - played on harpsichord, as they would have been composed for this instrument throughout most of Bach's lifetime - the piano only becoming popular during the latter part of his life.
3. & 4. Cantatas 1 and 2 - specially performed and recorded for this set by the Holland Boys Choir. As such they are a nicely uniform interpretation of Bach's immense output of cantatas.
5. Vocal works - by various performers.
6. Organ works - all played by Hans Fagius so, like the cantatas, offer a consistent interpretation.
Included also is a PC format CD with almost 500 pages of information on Bach's life, biographies of the performers/orchestras/conductors, comments on each CD, libretti (words) to all of the vocal works and cantatas.
Buy this collection before it becomes a discontinued item.