The year is 2271. The telepath war is over, and many of the old Psi Corp leaders are on the run or in prison as war criminals. Bester has managed to evade his pursuers. But with Garibaldi using the Edgars' fortune to find him, can he stay hidden for much longer?
I will admit I didn't enjoy the other two books in this series as much as I had hoped I would. But, being a fan of the TV series, I kept reading. This book is much better then the others, partially because the author has a definite story to tell. The plot was engrossing, and I had a hard time putting it down. Keeping the tradition of the series alive, it doesn't give pat answers, but raises some interesting questions about telepaths and their treatment. The characterizations are top notch, and there are times I could "hear" Bester, Garibaldi, and Lise from the show.
This book may not break any new ground plot wise and probably won't appeal to anyone who hasn't watched the show, but for those who have, this is must reading that will hook them from start to finish.
on 14 July 2000
I couldn't put this book down. It is a great conculsion to a really good trilogy of novels. This book in particular and the three novels as a whole provide a must for any B5 follower and should definately be considered by any sci-fi reader.
This book provides a great look at the psi-corps and achieves that wonderful thing which B5 so often did - the ability to despise and feel really sorry for a person at the same time only moments after you liked them. An essential part of any B5 collection.
on 12 May 2001
I usually get a bit nervous about reading Star Wars books, Babylon 5 books etc... as I find that a lot of the time the people in them feel out of character, the book does not have the same feel as the film/series. Or the book is just plain not that good.
However I really liked this book Gregory Keyes has not flinched from showing Besters nasty side. (the bit where he cold bloodily killed a unconscious policeman sticks out) although Bester is still REALLY easy to sympathise with and I definatly felt that he deserved to get away with it all, but of course he does'nt. But the end of the book you see that in the long term Bester may get the last laugh after all.
Cool, cool book