TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 August 2010
I have previously owned the 7850, and 7855 models. BaByliss For Men 7855U I-Trim Stubble+ Trimmer ;Babyliss For Men 7850U I-Trim Stubble Trimmer

This one is a real improvement in several aspects. I just happened to see it in Boots on the first day they received them into stock, and as soon as I saw it had a 2-pin plug I bought it. So I have been using it now for about 4 weeks.
I was initially concerned when i saw the minimum setting was 0.4mm instead of 0.1mm as on the previous models. But basically it seems to trim almost as close as the previous models and not necessarily 4x long (with all models, whatever is set on the trimmer, the exact length of stubble remaining is dependant on how you hold the trimmer and the exact shape and texture of your face ie 0.1mm might be the trimmer setting, but it does not mean the stubble will be cut to exactly 0.1mm, or 0.2mm)

- I did not like the comb assembly on the 7855 so i used the comb from the 7850 on my 7855. This trimmer, the 7890 is excellent. I find the comb/blade arrangement is very comfortable and easy to use (and easy to clean). It pivots and seems to follow the contours of my face well.

- excellent that the adaptor/charger is now 2-pin and so the trimmer can be charged inside the bathroom (previous models had a standard 3-pin plug arrangement, and so could not be charged inside a bathroom)

- This new model charges quickly and a full charge lasts much longer than the previous models.

Only one "issue" that I have found - it does not trim the stubble immediately under my nose, the design of the head seems to only allow it to trim to within a couple of millimetres of where my nose joins my upper lip. To overcome this, I flip the comb guide open and use the bare cutters to trim the area 2-3 mm just below my nose. It works fine.

The 7890 is a lot longer than previous models, but still fits into my washbag, just. Ergonomically it feels much more comfortable to use than the previous, but I would have liked it to be no longer than previous (but I presume the length is required to accomodate the improved batteries and slimmer body).

There are still 2 further improvements that I would like to see to make this a perfect 5 stars:

- make it showerproof (like many of the current electric shavers) and so it could be rinsed under the tap,

- provide a soft carry case to hold the trimmer, oil and the brush, but not the charger, and protect the trimmer from any damage while in my washbag when i am travelling (my Panasonic shaver has a small, soft carry case that just holds the shaver and cleaning brush, not the carger, but protects the shaver while in my washbag, and keeps the cleaning brush handy)
As stubble Trimmers go, this one is excellent and possibly the best on the market. I am happy I bought it, and I would not hesitate to reccommend it to others.
22 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 August 2010
A few points about it (good and bad)

- Its bigger than you think (about the size of a hairdressers hair trimmer) in height, but means it sits nicely and fills your hand.
- Cutting my moustache is not easy, but will do it with a bit of time and nose lifting
- Aesthetically brilliant
- Easy to hold/grip because of the shape
- Adjustable head to the contours of your face which takes some pressure off your wrist
- It comes with oil for the blades and charger and small brush
- its very accurate, digital display is simple

overall - very pleased.
0Comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2010
This is the first stubble trimmer i've bought and I wasn't really expecting too much from it, but it surpassed all my expectations. It cuts from an extremely short 5 o'clock shadow right up to beard length and does it neatly. The trimmer feels solid and looks very cool. I absolutely love this thing and Amazon have been amazing as always.
on 30 July 2010
Used this for the 1st time yesterday and was very impressed.

I go for the 0.4MM setting (1 day shadow) and I got an even shave without too much effort.

Overall, a good product. Highly recommended.
on 21 November 2010
This trimmer is excellent, very easy to use trims incredibly quickly and without snagging any hairs. Electronically adjustable trimmer length, which means you don't have to keep changing the guides. Very smooth hair guide, does not catch the skin, and it can be lifted and folded back for cleaning and oiling blades. It does not detach so no chance of losing it. Holds its charge very well and has enabled me to half the amount of time it takes to trim my stubble, well made and fits comfortably into one hard when using. It is a bit awkward to do the hair under your nose, but if you fold the guide back you can easily get round this problem. You may also need a 2 pin to 3 pin adaptor, unless you use this in the bathroom. The charging lead comes fitted with a 2 pin plug so is ideal for use at shaving points in bathrooms etc.

Overall and excellent product, a vast improvement over the 2 Braun beard trimmers I had beforehand. The only criticism I can level against this product is the fact that it does not come provided with any form of pouch or case. However I managed to find a fairly good one on eBay so no real problem there. Overall one of, if not the best hair/beard/stubble trimmers I have ever used.
on 5 December 2011
I'm 44 years old now. At the age of 20 I realised shaving the usual way (using Gillette double, triple action razors, creams, gels, foams etc) was NOT doing my face any good. I suffered from ultra-sensitivity and every shave left me scarred, cut and often with an itchy red rash that only hydrocortisone could soothe. So, for about 24 years, I have had to keep a stubble - trimming every 3 to 4 days. In 1994 I purchased a Philips electric shaver with the side stubble cutter. That thing lasted me right up until 2009 when it finally gave up the ghost. So I set about looking for a replacement. I plumped for a pricey BraUn all-singing-all dancing model - but the stubble cutter part on it was next to useless. Flawed design. So I started looking around again - this time for something that was DEDICATED for stubble - and not just an afterthought. After reading the reviews in Amazon (for months!), I ordered the BaByliss. I was a bit apprehensive in view of my experience with the useless Braun - but I need not have worried. After a long overnight charge, I subjected the BaByliss to my toughened, seasoned 4-day old stubble. The thick hair didn't stand a chance! The shaver effortlessly glided through the stubble on the 0.4mm setting without even having to go over the same area twice. Job done! For the tricky under the nose area, press the sides of the glide head with forefinger and thumb (see instruction manual). It swings back over the cutter - and you have just the cutter to get into those difficult areas. At the 0.4mm setting, I get a nice 1-day shadow - with absolutely NO rash, and don't need to cut again for almost a week! This appliance is a blessing in disguise. I haven't had it long yet - so too early to say whether it will last as long as the Philips from 1994 did - but for now, its a pleasure to use it. In fact, I actually look FORWARD to when I can next use it again!

The only negative (as others have said) is that it comes without a case, or stand. So you have to make/buy your own. I use an old padded camera case.
on 18 November 2010
I got this product about a week ago, and have used it a couple of times already. It needs charging for 16 hours before the first use, which was a bit long but the battery life is clearly very good. The comb on it is very good and it glides around the face really quite smoothly. I own 3 other trimmers and this one is by far the best for what I want - very short stubble. Although it ply goes down to 0.4mm, it still is quite close and I actually use it at 0.8mm and this is still pretty short.

Overall I'm really happy with this purchase. A couple of things to note before buying it:

- it is a lot bigger than the previous version (as in taller)
- 16 hours charge before use
- it doesn't come with a stand like other models
- doesn't come with a travel case either
on 3 December 2010
I purchased this after my i-trim stubble packed in. I think the i-trim stubble was a better design as it is difficult to do fine trimming with the i-stubble, took my sideburns clean off today trying to trim them a bit. It's also difficult to do under your nose with it due to the design of the head. Seems to be quite a bad design flaw to me. On the plus side the battery seems a lot better than the i-trim stubble, i could barely get one shave out of the i-trim after charging all night.
It's good apart from the fact they seem to have forgotten people in general have noses and would like to shave under them.
55 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2012
I had the first i-stubble and this is a significant improvement in terms of design.

However, I bought mine last May and in December it died, failing to switch on even after a full charge. So I returned it to BaByliss (Conair service centre) and after a few weeks got a replacement one in the post.

That replacement one has now suffered a similar fate after just six or so weeks and much to my frustration, I shall be returning it again and will no doubt be without one for a few more weeks.

Had it not been so unreliable I would have been giving this product a 4/5 review, as the design could still do with so further tweaking. But with two breaking in eight months, and the replacement product taking so long to arrive, I have no choice but to give it a 1/5. My stubble won't shave itself whilst I'm waiting for a replacement so it's completely useless.

My advice is to spend a bit more on something that will last and DO NOT BUY the i-stubble.
on 5 September 2014
ah the joys of never having to shave again :)
works really well, although the battery on mine died after 6months, so I've sent it back to Babyliss for repair (has a 3year warranty), so hopefully it will last at least another three years after I get it back!

my only niggle is I wish it would stay on the last setting you had it on when you switch it back on, always defaulting to the shortest setting is annoying, plus it doesn't make sense, if anything it should default back to the longest setting, at least that way you don't get a nasty surprise once you start trimming and get something far shorter than you expected... as my brother did, when he thought it was on 4.0, when it had in fact reset back to 0.4, he only realised half an eyebrow later! although it make me laugh... hence 4 stars!