on 31 August 2012
I decided on this phone for simplicity of use, big keys, provision of a jack plug for a headset, and particularly the earpiece volume control. The phone looked fine, the buttons were big and all the symbols were easy to see. The cord was long enough for me to put the phone where I wanted it. BUT the volume of incoming calls was quite low so I attempted to use the earpiece volume control. This made no difference at all. I tried getting technical help from BT but to no avail. The unamplified volume was too low for comfortable conversations, so in the end I sent the phone back, and not wanting to risk a repeat of the problem, chose a different phone.
on 16 December 2012
The phone very good for oldies who are a bit hard of hearing. Key pad clear and easy to access. A nice, clear ring tone. Just a plain, easy to use telephone, no need for a degree in telephopne technology.
on 6 March 2013
This really is a crap phone, feels cheap and the quality of the sound is poor. Spend a little more and get something better, avoid!!
on 8 October 2014
This phone is fantastic! I have bought two of these now. 1 for my Dad and me as we both have severe hearing loss, use BTE aids and other "land line" don't work well. The loop inside gives great assistance even with the amplifier off. A must for any person who has hearing loss & needs a phone that doesn't have big buttons (used by the elderly) & is designed for any one to use. Great looking well made and great value for money.
on 3 November 2013
I work from home one or two days a week and some days I barely get off the phone. I found it really restrictive to have one hand tied up holding a phone and only one left to type during calls so I decided to get a headset. IT at work provided me with one and with a Converse 2100 phone and we got along pretty well so I decided to get a heaset for my home phone, only to discover that it wasn't compatible with my existing phone.

I hunted for a phone that would take a headset with an RJ11 jack and the only option I could find was the phone I already had at work - the Converse 2100. I got it direct from BT because my step-father gets a discount but it was probably no cheaper than I could have had it from Amazon.

On the plus side this meant I got a phone I already knew really well, but on the downside I got nothing new or novel. In an era of fancy schmancy all-singing-all-dancing phones, it's pretty easy to be underwhelmed by the BT Converse 2100 because it doesn't offer a lot of features compared to many modern phones. It is a proper 'plug in the wall' corded phone rather than a cordless one. I HATE cordless phones as the allegedly rechargeable batteries never seem up to the job and it's really easy to put the handset down and not find it again. The base of the phone has a headset socket and it's very easy to plug the headset in - and equally importantly, very easy to take it out again.

The phone has very few bells and whistles. It's also available in white, but having had white phones and suffered from grimy finger marks, I wouldn't buy white again. It looks cheap and unsophisticated and rather plastic and basic. You get a light at the top right corner, just in case you've foolishly turned the ringer off and keep wondering why nobody ever calls you.

You get three memories with this - unimaginatively labelled M1, M2 and M3 which I consider to be too few to be worth bothering with. You get the standard numbers 1-9 and a zero plus a * and a #. At the bottom of the key pad there are three really useful buttons - the Redial (which redials the last number), the headset button which you press to get a dial tone when you're wearing a headset or to pick up a call. And finally there's a secrecy button to mute your voice. This is very handy on multi-participant conference calls when the amount of background noise can be really distracting. There's a button marked 'R' which is something you'll not need at home as it's for transferring calls through a switchboard.

On the bottom of the phone there are four sliding switches for various settings. The most important are for the ringer tone and the ringer volume which you'll probably want to adjust. The other two are probably more relevant for office use as they relate to use with switchboards. According to the BT website it's got an 'inductive coupler' and is 'PBX compatible' which is probably handy if you have a clue what those things mean.

The main thing you don't get - and you may well want - is a speaker phone option. Out of courtesy to those around me I wouldn't use a speaker at work, but at home it would often be nice to have the option.

The BT Converse 2100 is a reliable if uninspiring phone that does most of what it needs to but offers few frills.
on 30 September 2015
If I dislike this telephone it is principally because I failed to notice before I purchased it that it does not have a loudspeaker and "monitor" button and therefore the only way to hear what is going on is to put the handset to one's ear. This is unfortunate on those occasions when the other party has put the call on hold and you're merely listening to horrible music -- with a loudspeaker one would at least be free to use both hands for something else, away from the phone, while waiting for a real person to talk with.

Apart from this one "missing" loudspeaker feature the telephone does what I want.

In terms of its aesthetics, I don't find it particularly classy or attractive. Its probably targeted at office users rather than home users.

Bottom line: It'll do.
on 11 September 2012
I bought this phone as I've just started working from home and needed a phone I could plug a headset into for teleconferences. It's simple to use with the headset (bought separately) and has a secrecy button so you can carry on typing when on a call without disturbing the other participants. Really pleased with it for the price.
on 23 July 2015
I bought this as a cheap and cheerful desk phone for my home office. My brief was simple, I wanted something which looked business orientated, was solid, had big buttons and had a port I could add a headset to. The main reason for wanting a headset was that most of this phones use will be for conference calls which may last an hour and I've been getting terrible aches from holding it under my neck whilst I type for too long.

For the money this phone really hits the mark, it's well built and does 90% of what I wanted it to including having the dedicated headset socket that you can plug most cheap as chips headsets into. I do agree with some reviews that it's a touch on the quiet side but the reality is, unless you are hard of hearing, it's not a problem.

The only things I feel like I've compromised on are the lack of speaker phone (although I am normally using the headset) and an LCD display to see the number calling or being dialled. Other than those issues, and lets face it, we're talking about a sub £30 phone here, it ticks all my boxes.
on 23 February 2013
I do a lot of audio conferences and I needed a phone that could take a headset and had a secrecy (mute) button. This was the cheapest that appeared to fit the bill. I'm very happy with it. The sound quality it great. It's not too complicated to use. The buttons are big and clear. There is a light on the Secrecy button so you know it's on. There's a light on the headset button so you know when it's in headset mode. It doesn't slide all over the table. It can lie flat, at angle or you can wall-mount it. Just a good, basic no-nonsense phone from a trusted manufacturer.
on 27 September 2013
I bought this to replace an earlier 'Converse' that had given over 12 years good service despite being dropped several times, functioning well although cracked etc. The old phone finally became too quiet to hear callers properly, so the updated version was purchased. Oh dear - this one is quiet to listen to as well (although not as quiet to use). Was my hearing failing? (I have passed my 50th birthday a few more years than i care to count!). But no - my two sons in their 20s cannot hear callers properly either. So my hearing is still reasonably intact - verdict?? Avoid this phone unless ypu have very sensitive ears.