1,597

on 27 October 2012
You can tick off a checklist as to types of news you want to read about e.g. politics, sport and even location such as Wales, Scotland etc. Very easy to read on Kindle. Thrilled with this app.

You can check the types
0Comment| 274 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2012
One of the few 3rd party APPS on the Kindle Fire that works as it should. And presumably being the BBC our data is secure with them...
0Comment| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 August 2014
Fine app, as we've come to expect from the Beeb.

I use it on my old Android tablet and Android phone but have discovered a novel problem on my new Kindle Fire HDX 7". The auto rotating screen works fine on the old tablet and phone, and many other apps do on the HDX, but for this app it's upside-down!

Sounds silly, I know, but although the app rotates to landscape orientation and back to portrait, it only displays portrait with the case spine on the right, i.e upside-down.

Don't actually think this is a BBC problem but an HDX one. This doesn't happen with many apps I've discovered but it also happens with the Bamboo Paper app.

This unusual problem doesn't affect the BBC Weather app.

Otherwise this is surely the de-facto news app for any platform.
on 26 October 2012
This app is as good as it is on regular android, which I use daily. However on the kindle it only orientates one way, which at least for the case I have is the wrong way. Only a minor gripe, but still very annoying. If it gets fixed this app will be perfect.
0Comment| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 December 2013
News is clearly laid out and is regularly updated. It's not in depth but it's a convenient way to check headline stories and breaking news. Further sub headings give country specific news for the UK with other sub headings covering sport, business, financial etc. It's a free service and good if you're out and about.

Edited: the app isn't working on my kindle Fire. It's fine on my iPad. Amazon are looking into a tech problem as it won't download at all.
on 12 June 2014
This is an useful free app for the Kindle Fire HD. It's easy to install and to use. New items appear clearly and there is good video coverage. Recommended.

Chris Allen is a Technical Author and writer with the following books available through Amazon:
The Beam of Interest: Taken by Storm
Hypnotic Tales 2013: Some Light Some Dark
Call of the Void: The Strange Life and Times of a Confused Person: 1
on 12 February 2013
This is excellent in that it is succinct in its presentation of the news.
It is helpful in that you can adjust the amount of news and the subjects you wish to receive.
on 17 January 2015
Love this app. It's quick and easy to see an over view on what's going on in the UK and world wide when I don't have time to turn the telly on. It's updated regularly and I can choose from the headline the articles I am interested in. So easy to use.
on 31 May 2014
The app is ok but the first screen consists of thumb nail photographs that are often repeated between the different news categories. Breaking news appears along the top of the screen but if there are few items it is fleeting and you can't always get into the right story. Sky does it better.
on 28 May 2016
I love news and this is a great little app for getting bite-sized news on the go. The top stories section gives you all the stuff you need to know and the 'most read' section gives you the popular stories, often quirkier or more entertainment orientated than the top stories. The 'My News' section is a favorite of mine - I select what I am interested in to bring more obscure news, of relevance to me, from the less visited corners of the website, to the fore. It works well and it is easy to flick through the brief stories and video clips. It is not designed to have the depth of coverage and analysis that you can find elsewhere on the BBC but is perfect for keeping up to date on the go. I read in it bed before I start my day.
I love the BBC for world news and science news, these are often poorly covered elsewhere. I find that for the most part the BBC is a news source I can trust and I respect the impartiality with which the TRY to report their stories, my husband disagrees and feels that they have a bias, I point out that if he feels that a news channel reports every story in a manner of which he approves then it is probably not impartial, it just has a bias that agrees with his own. But then, it is in my bones, I am quite sure I would be a different person today had I not grown up hiding from the world, listening to the radio. Perhaps BBC news shaped me long ago, formed my opinions before I knew I had them. It would only be natural for me now to think it so honest and dependable.It is all there is. It is my anchor.