on 8 April 2009
I spent nearly two hours reading this book and came away with nothing useful. Although I have a child with ASD it did not address her needs or tendencies. The lists of characteristics were blunt and the subtleties of ASD were missed. It seemed to me that anyone who was high functioning was termed Asperger, which was not my understanding. I was disappointed after reading other reviews which rated it so highly.
on 4 July 2009
Be very wary of this book if you have a child recently diagnosed with ASD, as I had. It talks in v depressing terms about the condition and the prospects of children with ASD, and the description of the children it talked about bore no relation to my son at all. Every child described was at the more severe end of the spectrum, and I was very upset and demoralised after I finished reading the book and its bleak prognosis. One thing that particularly upset me was where it said that often 'normal' siblings will 'give up' on the autistic child as they effectively see them as an embarrassing burden...even the thought of that broke my heart and I have since heard from several parents of ASD children that that is far from being the truth in the majority of cases. Go elsewhere if you want something more balanced and optimistic!!
on 8 September 2003
As a teacher of students with Autism Spectrum Disorders, I have found this book to be an excellent resource for parents, peers, service providers, administrators, and classroom volunteers. It provides practical information and resources for anyone who teaches, works with, or knows someone with ASD. In a user-friendly way, Sicile-Kira defines and explains terms and concepts while linking them to a variety of professional and community resources. In addition, the book is illustrated with numerous experiences from her own life and the lives of individuals with ASD. This book alone is a ‘must have’ for any lending library.
on 7 August 2007
I just think this is a great book. It covers most things and is a great starting point as to the the world of autism. It also has plenty of references to other books if you want to read about certain topics in more detail. Also this book makes reference to the "English" system - so many are American based although I think this book does have an American "version".
on 29 December 2003
this book gives you the facts,well written,no confusing medical jargon.I am a parent of a five yr old, newly diagnosed with autism,this book steers you through the early days and lets you know you are not alone!. It also gives a starting point to look for information and explains alot of the early emotions you are feeling and how to deal with them!.It is a great guide and one every parent of a child with autism should read.
on 31 December 2007
This book is a perfect starting point for parents and professionals who want a balanced overview of the complex (and often seemingly overwhelming) issues surrounding autistic spectrum disorders.

The format of the book makes it easy to read. It is a combination of factual information about ASD, personal anecdotes, quotes and most importantly practical strategies for life at home, school and in the community. You can dip in and out of different chapters using it as a reference book according to the issues that you want to research.
on 18 November 2003
This book is one of the best I have read on autism, I strongly recommend it. Chantal Sicile-Kira has been involved with autistic spectrum disorders for nearly 20 years, first as a professional and then as a parent. Having spent tens of thousands of hours learning about ASD's, navigating the system and getting her sons needs met, she hopes you will now benefit from her experiences. I am sure you will, this book is packed with information and useful advice and tips. It is easy to read and the information is easily accessed.
She covers every aspect of the subject, the title The Complete Guide is well named. Some of the subjects covered are myths and history, causes, characteristics and what they mean, diagnosis and after, treatments, therapies and interventions, family life, educational needs and provision, community life and adults. Resources, research and data are well documented. I particularly liked the chapters 'After Diagnosis' and 'Educational needs and provision', she really appreciates the difficulties and emotions that families experience.
Throughout the book she has 'food for thought' sections, giving thoughts from herself and others, including people on the autistic spectrum who have a wonderful insight. These sections really do give food for thought.
I have a son of 25 with autism and like Chantal I too wish I had this book 20 years ago, she believes that information is power and hopes that the information in this book will empower parents. I'm sure it will. This book is essential reading for all.
on 18 May 2010
Since my child was diagnosed with autism at the age of two and a half, I have read countless books on autism.

By far, the most helpful among these was this book. It covers just about every aspect of autism that you would need to know about as the parent of a young autistic child. And where it cannot cover a a subject in detail (given the length of any book) it directs you to useful further contacts.

I used one such contact - Cerebra - to help me download an aid to filling in a diablility living allowance form, without which I would have struggled to manage. It made me aware of ABA therapy and pointed me in the direction of a good service provider.

I felt so knowlegable after reading it, that in a meeting with proffessionals, I was able to offer them information on a useful contact, which they now use in their literature. and tell them about treatments, they had never even heard about (and these were the people supposedly expert in treating autism)

It is a gem of a book. I sincerely recommend you to empower yourselves, for the sake of your child, and read it and keep it, and refer to it and recommend it.
on 17 November 2009
I am a PhD neuropharmacologist and I recently gave this book an unfavourable review as it cites out of date and incorrect information with no scientific basis. Amazon has chosen to disregard my initial review which leads me to believe that they cherry pick only those reviews which promote the products they sell. I'm disappointed in the product and Amazon.
on 28 December 2014
I found this book very useful in broadening my knowledge of ASD. No book on autism is an easy read and as no child or person with an ASD can be the same as any other, it makes it difficult to gain information on an individual case. This book covers all aspects of dealing with autism from diagnosis through growing up through school, going to college or getting a job and having relationships. It is in places a depressing book, but then so is autism but it is crammed full of useful information for all who seek it. I would like to point out that only the forward is written by Temple Grandin and the book by Chantal Sicile-Kira. Credit where it is due. I found the book very useful and will keep it on my shelf for future reference. I would recommend this book.