- Paperback: 168 pages
- Publisher: Kuperard; illustrated edition edition (28 Jun. 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1857333470
- ISBN-13: 978-1857333473
- Product Dimensions: 11 x 1.2 x 16.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (6 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 701,012 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Austria - Culture Smart! The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture Paperback – 28 Jun 2007
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Culture Smart! has come to the rescue of hapless travellers, Sunday Times Travel -...the perfect introduction to the weird, wonderful and downright odd quirks and customs of various countries, Global Travel -...full of fascinating, as well as common sense, tips to help you avoid embarrassing faux pas, Observer -...as useful as they are entertaining, Easy Jet Magazine -...offer glimpses into the psyche of a faraway world, New York Times. --Various
About the Author
PETER GIELER was born in Britain to Austrian parents. After gaining a B.A. in European Studies from the University of Sussex and a Diploma in Educational Technology, he embarked on a long career in educational training for several London authorities, and was Deputy Head Teacher in an Inner London comprehensive school. After retiring, he became General Secretary of the Anglo-Austrian Society. He has published several articles on culture and travel, and is the editor of Felix Austria, a quarterly journal about Austria published in the United Kingdom.
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I was given this but found it to be an excellent and authoritative summary of the country, its customs and culture. While not so long, in an interesting written style, it takes you through:
- A little of Austria's history to set the context.
- the attitudes and values of society.
- customs and traditions.
- perhaps most importantly how people socially interact with each other and their values and norms.
- a little about shopping, banking, eating, drinking and travelling.
- advice for doing business in Austria
- communication and the media.
There were many things that I had observed before reading this - the Austrian love of their titles / qualifications for instance - that when I read similar comments it made other aspects of the book come alive.
So in summary, if you expect to live/socialise do business in Austria I would highly recommend you read this.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
great little guide to Austria for everyday life holidays to moving there
great customer services from the seller i used
thanks a lot
This was a very helpful and practical book. I would highly reccomend it.
I have moved to a new culture before and wish I had a book like this then.