on 11 April 2009
This is the second Aulos recorder I have bought for my grand-daughters following upon the desperation of trying to get a decent sound out of similarly priced recorders by other brands which shall remain unmentioned. The Aulos represents excellent quality for the price, and fits the bill for children learning the instrument at school.
33 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2009
This is a 'proper recorder', with good sound, thumb rest and cleaning pipe, all in a neat little bag!
on 18 October 2009
this item was very good valuue for money please dont be tempted by the cheap plastic recorders as this gives a much better sound and is better quality
on 12 October 2011
I have a diploma in the recorder and have played many wooden descants and i swear down this is still up there with some of the best. Its so sturdy aswell. I use it alot for busking and the sound travels a long distance. I learned to play on this and still go back to it. I actual played this instrument in one of my final recital pieces. I would always advise wooden trebles but for descants look no further. Dont be swayed by your teachers as you progress telling you to get a wooden one, its way cooler just to wipp this one out and give it some welly! Anyway bad workman blame their tools.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 October 2015
Unless you have and want to spend a bucketful of money, you can't go wrong with a recorder made by Aulos. That's all they've ever done - they're recorder specialists and it shows in both the quality and affordability of their instruments. Yes, you can find cheaper products, but that's false economy. Aulos recorders are eminently playable, they play in tune, stay in tune and are extremely strong and well made. Perhaps their only real competitors at this price is Dolmetsch (which are also good instruments), but for me Aulos win the day.

I have three Aulos recorders )see photo) - a descant, an Alto 211E and a tenor 311. All are first class instruments and are capable of very mellow sounds. In the photo I've also shown a different type and make of recorder - that is the Nuvo 'DooD' which has a more limited scale (just over 1 octave) but it uses a reed instead of a fipple whistle.

The main disadvantage with recorders is that they don't lead on to much unless you want to further explore other sizes of instrument, or venture into the world of whistles and low whistles. Instruments such as the 'DooD' can prepare the way for moving on to clarinet or saxophone, both of which need an understanding of how to play a reed instrument.

Nuvo N410DBBL DooD

But those comments aside - I can only repeat what I said at the outset .... if it's a recorder that you want, you can't go wrong with an Aulos.
review image
on 17 May 2011
You, can't beat the sound, its the best. Just hope we can move on from hot crossed buns (or was it three blind mice!) soon! Arrived in plenty of time to practise before school lessons began. well packaged too.
on 19 November 2010
Ooh this brings back memories. Ordered late thurs evening knocked up by post man on sat at 8.45. Excellent price service and delivery have recommended this provider to other mums at school. My son was blowing away by 8.50 am can i add not a nice sound so early. I was itching to get my hands on this recorder to see if i could still play and to the shock of myself and my 10yr old gave a perfect (well nearly) rendition of Londons burning. Pitch is good excellent for a first recorder.
on 14 March 2010
The chosen recorder for schools. This is a good solid instrument that children (and adults) are able to use. Comes with a fabric case, cleaning rod (No cloths) and a two page instruction sheet. Bought this for my childs school recorder lesson.

Just need the ear plugs to go with it ;)
on 18 September 2011
Now, I dont know anything about recorders but used the reviews to buy this one as my daughter is about to start recorder lessons at school. What I can say is that I was very pleased that the product description matched exactly what I received. The recorder looks good quality and sounds very good to my amateur ears. The cover protects the recorder and it is good to have a cleaning rod too. I am very happy with my purchase and I think the price is very reasonable too.
on 19 February 2010
This recorder is sturdy, easy to clean and comes with a great drawstring bag and cleaner. I bought this recorder as it was the same one I used when I learned how to play the recorder when I was young. My daughter now plays it whenever she can. It provides a great sound and after thinking about buying a much cheaper one, I knew this one produced a better sound and would stand the test of time.