Format: Paperback|Change

Although this review won't include spoilers for At Grave's End this is the third book in the series and I would strongly recommend reading the series in order to get the most out of these fantastic books. If you haven't already discovered this series then I would definitely recommend it if you're a fan of urban fantasy and paranormal romance stories.

Things are finally looking up for Cat - she has the love of her life Bones working at her side helping to rid the world of rogue vampires and she has a great team to back her up. She should probably have guessed that things wouldn't stay easy for long though. More vampires are now aware of the Red Reaper and she is finding it harder and harder to carry out her job as a decoy without being recognised - even when she is using multiple disguises. Not only that but a female vampire from Bones' past is determined to see him dead and she is prepared to do anything to make it happen. This is an enemy like none that they've faced before - a vampire much older and considerably more powerful than Bones who isn't going to be defeated easily.

If you've read any of my reviews of the previous books in this series then you'll already know what a massive fan I am of both Cat & Bones. They are both strong individuals and they are one of my favorite urban fantasy / paranormal romance couples. I have to say that I was slightly disappointed that we didn't get to see more relationship development between them in this installment of the series - after the amazing heat of One Foot in the Grave I was expecting to see more of the passion between them. Having said that I found that the book was so action packed that I couldn't turn the pages fast enough & I read the whole book in just one sitting.

There are so many things going on in this story - enemies old and new, betrayals by people they thought they could trust, battles to end all battles and not everyone will survive to the end of the book. A lot of old faces will make an appearance (yay for Spade & Rodney!) and we are introduced to some fab new characters too including a couple of historical figures you're bound to recognise. I loved the action in At Grave's End and you are taken on a complete roller coaster ride of emotion alongside Cat making you laugh out loud one minute and leaving you close to tears the next. There was one point where my heart was in my mouth & I just could not believe what had happened. Cat is in for a difficult ride in this book but she really does have to step up to the plate and accept her vampire heritage which I thought she managed admirably.

There are also some interesting new developments with Cat's team and I'm looking forward to see what Jeaniene Frost has in store for everyone next. I am getting slightly fed up with Tate still trying to take Cat away from Bones, yes I feel for him but there is just no way he can compete with Bones and I hope he moves on with his life soon before he ruins is friendship with Cat. Overall I didn't quite enjoy this one as much as I loved One Foot in the Grave but it was still a fab read and I can't wait to continue reading this series.
on 13 November 2010
This series has grown in many ways from the first book, "Halfway to the Grave". It's a combination of paranormal, romance, humor, and action. All these factors are combined into stories that grab your emotions and your heart rate and don't let up even when you finish the last page.
The half-vampire Cat should be happy. She and her lover Bones are back together and married, vampire-style. She's safe from her vampire father who wants to kill her and she's in charge of her team that hunts vampires who kill humans with Bones backing her up to help keep her safe. So when Daddy dearest sets another trap for Cat, she's a bit concerned...not to mention tortured! When Bones shows up to save her, they learn she's really just the bait, there's a woman from Bones past out to kill him and his grandsire...and she's a two thousand year old vampire who's willing to use forbidden magic to do it.
Exciting, sexy, and a thrill ride from start to finish. This series has expanded and the characters grown over the past three books. While it's not necessary to read the first two novels to understand this book, I can't help but think there are quite a few things that would get lost if you didn't. To appreciate just how much depth has been added to the characters and how their choices and outlooks have changed, the first two books are helpful in understanding the current relationships and dilemmas.
As in the first two books, "At Grave's End" unfolds steadily with the tension rising ever higher until the grand finale...and grand it is. Return appearances by previous characters and the darkly humorous addition of a few new ones only increased my reading enjoyment in Jeaniene Frost's newest. I just can't get enough of Cat and Bones and I think if you give it a try, you'll agree
on 31 August 2011
Cat Crawfield has spent years hunting vampires, first alone then with her lover Bones and finally with her FBI team. Now Cat's secret is out, and now the vampires know all about the deadly half-breed chasing them down. With her cover blown, Bones is desperate to keep her safe. But the greatest danger isn't to Cat as a deadly master vampire sets her sights on destroying Bones using any means necessary, including the darkest of magics.

This is the third book in the Night Huntress series (after Halfway to the Grave and One Foot in the Grave) and I was really looking forward to seeing what happened next. This book didn't disappoint, managing not only to pick up some unsolved issues from previous books and bring them to surprising conclusions but also introducing a totally new bad guy determined to destroy Cat and Bones forever.

The storyline is full of twists and turns, not only in the more action-based parts but also in the backstory. Even Cat's mother goes in a whole new direction. Several characters from previous books return, including Spade, Mencheres and Ian, and it's great to see them take a larger role in the storyline. New characters like Vlad (yeah...THAT Vlad) also add interest and give some interesting side story.

It's great to see Cat and Bones more settled in their relationship as it allows for both more action and a more intricate backstory involving other characters. Tate's interest in Cat is still present, but thankfully completely unrequited meaning that there is no overused love triangle here. On the whole, this is an incredible read that sucks you in and doesn't let go.

All in all this was a great read and I can't wait to read Destined for an Early Grave.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50
on 25 November 2011
Wow... another fantastic installment from Cat and Bones!!!

This time I felt I made more contact with various other characters and grew to understand and know their personalities, but even with that happening, the adventure sprang up from all corners!

Tate! I've never liked him throughout this series and yet I had an unyeilding moment where I thought he was going to win me over.... Not a chance!!! However, I made an 'oops' and without spoiling the story, I had to eat my words! I still don't like him though!

Juan, Doc, Denise, Justine (mum) and Rodney became characters of fun, laugher and, for me, tears... Vlad, however, became someone that I want to know more about... I really enjoyed getting to know him a little more.... there are more characters, like Bones' Grandsire, that I grew to know just a little more and wanted to learn about... They joined in this fantastic novel and had me gripping the edge of my seat!

Cat and Bones, I loved even more than I did in the previous book, I love their interaction, their love and their fiesty personal life! Bones has grown somewhat since the last book and Cat has had more to contend with and it's made me enjoy this series even more. I never know what is going to happen, I incorrectly second guess what is going to happen and I'm once again left reaching for the next book.

I truly love this series!!
on 14 April 2011
This is the third instalment in the Night Huntress series.

Cat and Bones are still going strong though their are many who are out to stop it.
This time both Cat and Bones are in danger.
Someone is after Bones and the best way to get to him is Cat. Not before Cat has a visit from Max again but I'm not telling how things pan out.

I read this book in nearly one sitting I loved it. I was warned about the sad bit (thanks Bex) even though I knew it must get better from already owning the next books haha. Kind of ruined it in a way.

I loved the explosion scene, the limousine scene, and though I don't quite agree with how Bones was at the beginning of the 'in the back of the truck' moment I certainly love how it turned out .
Tate is starting to annoy me now though with his fascination for Cat he just seems to be getting a bit pushy and just as a comparison it reminded me of how Jacob got with Bella in the Twilight series(the books not film)

This was all a bit of one long ramble so I do apologise about that but when it comes to these books I do just ramble on.
VINE VOICEon 7 July 2010
Unlike many other reviews I really enjoyed this one. I think it might be my favourite in the series so far. But it's one of those series that I read one of the books then by the time the next one is out I've forgotten the first one. So I end up taking longer to get round to them because I can't recall if I like them lol But I was glad I tried this one as it brought it all back and I really enjoyed it, great entertainment.

It's got action, romance, comedy and vampires... what more do you want? The plot was quite interesting and kept me turning the pages. OK, so it's not the best in its genre but it makes for a good time, if you don't take it too seriously.

If you like other paranormal romance authors like Kim Harrison, Karen Chance, Laurell K Hamilton, Kelley Armstrong etc you'll enjoy this. It's witty and engaging.
on 10 February 2015
Jeaniene Frost has a gift for writing male characters who are utterly irresistible. With the possible exception of Tate; I really dislike Tate!

Bones and Cat meet another millennia old vampire with a grudge, and it's all out war. The action starts straight away and there's no respite until the bitter end.

Vlad-don't-call-me-Dracula makes probably his first appearance. Having already read the thoroughly delicious trio of books currently following his spin-off story, it was fun to meet him pre-Leila. And utterly gorgeous he is as well. With him and Bones, a girl really could have her hands full in the best possible way.
on 20 February 2011
Another superb instalment in the Cat and Bones saga!

I am so in love with this series - the characters are ace, the love story drool-worthy, and the tension has you on the edge of your seat every time.

But the author was cruel to me this time - she made me cry. Bucket loads of tears. It just proved that the author is capable of anything, and can take her characters and her readers on a broad journey of emotion.

There was more action than love scenes in this book, but for those that love the steamy instalments of Cat and Bones, there are a few scorching hot interludes, but the main focus for this book is the action.
Top notch book.
on 28 June 2013
Each successive chapter in Jeaniene Frost’s exceptional Night Huntress series adds more complexity, death-defying action and fiery romance. While expertly deepening Cat and Bones’ love story, Frost also keeps the plot revelations absorbing and the jeopardy remorseless. In an increasingly rich and vibrant genre, she continues to prove she’s a star. Definitely a must read and recommended to all Jeaniene Frost fans and paranormal fans.
on 3 August 2013
I enjoyed this Night Huntress books in parts, I love the introduction of Vlad in particular and Mencheres plays a bigger role. The action as always is fast paced and the book difficult to put down. I delight in the Cat and Bones relationship which continues to develop throughout the series. For me the only thing I didn't enjoy was the torture scene early on in the story.