on 3 November 2014
Very pleased with this tablet. It does everything I need and is easy to hold and carry around. I originally bought a Nexus 10 which is also very good, but my husband has taken over that so I needed something else. This fits the bill perfectly and was a very good price without breaking the bank. Would recommend.
on 20 January 2015
After a false start with a faulty unit (thanks to Amazon for prompt replacement), the first unit clearly had a duff battery as it discharged at a ridiculous rate.
I like Asus products which is partly why I checked out the MeMo Pad 8" when looking for a tablet for casual home use. Wife already has a Nexus 7 (awesome product), but I wanted something a tad larger without going to a 10" tab; this fits the bill.
The MeMo Pad is an above 'budget' unit, more than responsive for my needs and use. Running KitKat out of the box, the unit has an Asus specific UI which includes a few custom apps not common to Android. Some apps useful, some not so (mirror app?). Battery is very good after a few charges, the tab runs several days for me between charge. The display might be a lower res than the competition, but it's an 8" tablet - you don't need 4k at this size! Resolution from Netflix for example is excellent for the size.
16gb on board storage is more than adequate, but an easily accessed side mounted micro SD slot allows up to a further 32gb.
If you just need a reasonable priced tablet for the usual surfing, email, social media etc., this is more than ideal and worth consideration.
on 19 October 2014
Great product. Though you do need the latest version of android update to improve battery life.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 October 2015
A great product for the price. this is small enough to fit into my jeans pocket and big enough to hold and watch tv/ movies and light enough to hold onto with one hand. It feels very comfortable in the hand. My focus is mainly on productivity apps and music / video and for this purpose the size of this device is brilliant. less weighty than a laptop and iPad. the bigger screen than a phone. For me, it's the perfect combination for what I need. I'm not a gamer, so I cannot comment on gameplay. But to surf the web, work on notes, watch tv and movies or music this device is great. I purchased the ASUS MeMo Pad 8 (ME 181 C) case, Fyy Ultra Slim Magnetic Smart Cover Case for ASUS MeMo Pad 8 (ME 181 C) Red (With Auto Wake/Sleep Feature) as a case and would also highly recommend it. The device is fast enough to do what I need to do and for that reason it gets top marks.

Why only have 3 stars?

This device is let down by the amount of Asus applications installed on the device. It borders on around 20 and not one of them is of any use. I don't; want to use Asus storage. I have drop box, google drive and one drive. I don't want to install Asus supernotes because I use Evernote. Asus deals with hardware. Trying to get people's details for marketing by forcing applications which are substandard to free apps already widely available is a stupid strategy. I can;t delete these apps. They remain on the device. They keep need to be updated, so when I want to use my device it just keeps on using bandwidth to download useless asus updates. A great device let down by the apps preinstalled and undeletable. This experience has completely put me off buying any other Asus Device.
review image
on 15 February 2015
Please bear with me on this one!

I'd love to give this tablet 5 stars and if I had received the 'version' my friend has, it would have got them. In it's working version this tablet is exceptional value for its price. However, the first one I received had the I detail below and the second replacement sent (after telling Amazon the problem) was 'old' stock - 4 month older build (Jun 2014) and carried with it the same 'problem'.

Many people have suffered with this issue - horrible battery drain.

Firstly, when turning the device on I was worried. When it got to the Google log-in screen the graphics were a terrible 'line' gradient arrangement. I'd not seen this on a tablet before and thought it was really odd and certainly not the visuals I'd expect from such a product. The OS then updated itself and that issue was 'gone'. As with any new device I get I test the battery with a standard 'leave on to see the chart' until it fully drains (after 2 full charge/drains). Once with WiFi on and once with it off. This pinged the issue. I got 2.5 days out of it sitting doing nothing next to me on a shelf. I then fully charged it again and turned off the WiFi. I got 17 hours out of it. This was very strange as I get about a week out of my ASUS MeMo HD 7 (brilliant little tablet). So I looked at forums..some more forums..and even more forums! The general indications were that something was 'trying to connect'. Under the running tab, then 'wake up' drop down I could see the weather app and Google Play Services/Android OS had a staggering amount of wake ups and highest up on the battery drain list.

Here's what I tried - with both the original and replacement:
[None of these worked (see dates/numbers below)]
-Flashing firmware to most recent download from ASUS.
-Reverting Google Play Services to its factory version.
-Making sure no SD card is in there (some say this causes the drain through the notification top left).
-Stopping the weather app - even when you think it's stopped it isn't. Take the widget off the home screen/lock screen and then within the app settings (even when GPS is off) it has a cheeky setting that tells it to check every 10 mins). However, I was able to stop this appearing on the wake list and it still didn't solve things.
-Factory reset #1 - same settings.
-Factory reset #2 - disabling all sync option from the start.
-Battery repair app.
-Battery calibration app (not rooted so won't work).
-Juice defender app.
-Battery saver software (built in).

Obviously the last thing to try was rooting the device however, that would invalidate the warranty so it's not an option.

As you can see, I tried a lot of options in order to keep this tablet. All of the above were done in varying combinations to try and find a solution - mostly so I could post it here because of all this stress! However, I'm sorry but I have failed.

The box of the replacement was flattened so the edge of the tablet cover inside the box was scuffed with white, clearly it had been piled somewhere for a while as it's battery was completely depleted when I received it and it is still running a different version of the firmware even after the update.

All I can assume is that some people are lucky and some aren't. I can't afford to spend £119.00 on a tablet that drains in less than a day with WiFi off on standby. What annoyed me more is that the replacement Amazon sent was even older and they have asked me to return it, yet if I try to buy the purple version (the one my friend has and I assume a newer build) I will have to pay £10 more than originally paid, even when it's the same price as the black! What a palava!

Oh and also, it charges realllllly slowwwwly! Be warned :)

Either ASUS need to get a proper fix on this or Amazon need to stop shipping out the older builds that come with this inherent problem.

Model: K011

Build Date: 21st Nov 2014
Build Number: WW-3.1.23.189

Other Things (mostly good!):
Beautifully clear screen.
Smart widget locks display.
Nice added ASUS apps (aside from the weather one that causes repeated system wake-ups)
Decent 5MP rear camera with nice easy photo enhancements. I love the depth of field one but only just realise I already have it as part of my Google Camera app (called Lens Blur). Front facing camera is really nothing special!
Great processing speed.
You can get lovely matte screen protectors that make it look and feel even nicer.
Micro SD Card slot/expandable memory.
Fantastic screen size - not too big, not too small making it light enough to carry about with you.
Rubberised back case makes it really comfy to hold & play games with.

All this work to end up empty handed :( very sad that this couldn't work out for me.

If you took the time to read this - thank you!
on 22 August 2014
Light weight, bright display, great performance.
on 7 March 2015
Think twice about purchasing this. There's a reason it's cheaper than rivals. It just does not cut it. I thought it would put perform an Nexus 7 from 2012 however it is just too unstable with dropping Wi-Fi signal, several apps crashing, lag between system and apps. In addition I have had several system updates which have not helped. I can't give it one star as build is nice but I am not after looks. Sadly it's going back.
on 10 February 2015
Purchased in January 2015,in February sent to service. During a game ,appears stripes on the screen, a sound and black screen. She has not started again.I tried hard reset in vain.
on 8 April 2015
A big let down after having used the first ASUS transformer. The device is well built, screen looks great and it does feel sturdy but software is just awful. It's bloated with useless ASUS apps that are always running in the background and you can't delete. It is really slow, it takes a few seconds to open any application and it's so bad I end up using my phone more often to save myself the wait. Also no lollipop update to date which is a shame. Overall, I would not recommend this tablet unless ASUS come up with a new software update to address the sluggishness
on 6 December 2014
Arrived in good time and is exactly what I was looking for. Good size and weight, looks good and has everything I need. Quality screen and good sound. 16GB memory is more than enough but also has capacity for a more memory, upto 32GB SD Card to boost it. Really is a quality product as always by ASUS.