Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 March 2001
I bought this book only two weeks ago, and since then I can say that I have a great new hobby! I shot one film (fixed tripod method, according the instructions in the book) and the results are amazing. With this book everyone who is seriously interested can become an astrophotographer! I am looking forward to the results of my next step: I built a so-called barndoor tracker, which is a simple device to enable longer exposures, by compensating for the earth's rotation. The book describes how to build one. Right now I am seriously considering buying a telescope. I particularly appreciate this book for the width in which the subject is discussed, along with its ability to raise so much enthousiasm for astrophotography, as it did with me.
on 10 November 2000
As a relatively new astrophotographer the data in Micheal Covingtons book I found was invaluable. The concepts are clear and concise and have been an important source of information for me. Although there is no great detail in CCD techniques I still value this book and would recommend it for , well, the amateur astrophotographer really.
on 16 October 2013
I purchased this book because I am new to astrophotography. What a big mistake. The whole content of the book is years out of date. The book requires drastic updating to bring it into the modern world. Camera recommendations are well over twenty years old and do not reflect the current digital era.

I have to say that I was completely disappointed with this book. It's major focus was film rather than digital photography. It was like reading a history of photography rather than a practical, useful guide..

Highly overpriced. In my opinion a waste of money!
on 20 August 1999
I see where this is the 2nd edition of this book I feel that the first edition was alot better. The book has decent information covered here but it seems like a rehash of info only slightly changed by the author. To make this book better the author should know that ccd is the wave of the future and if he decides to write a 3rd book to do more research this time, some of the films mentioned are out of date.
on 7 February 2015
A really good book that can be picked up and read again and again.
on 6 February 2015