Format: PaperbackChange

on 15 January 2001
Asperger Syndrome is something we hear about, but how many of us know what it means to have this syndrome or to be a parent or grandparent or teacher trying to understand what it must be like?
If you want, or need, to know more about Asperger Syndrome then two books have just been published by Jessica Kingsley Publishers which are a must for you to read.
Kenneth Hall is a ten-year-old boy who has Asperger Syndrome. He is also exceptionally gifted and has written Asperger Syndrome, the Universe and Everything so that we can see and understand the world through his eyes. This book gives a clear insight into what it must be like to view the world in this special way. Hall tells us of his day to day struggles, and joys.
Read this: 'When I was eight I found out about my Asperger Syndrome or AS and since then my life has changed completely. Before that life was very hard for me. I was always depressed. Life was depressing.' He goes on to tell us that before he was eight he realized he was 'different' but didn't know why. 'When I heard that I had AS I was very pleased because I had been wondering why everyone else seemed to be acting strangely.'
This little boy tells us what helps him to understand the world, and what puzzles him. He tells us what he likes, and what he doesn't like, and why. He doesn't like crowds, or too much noise, or to be part of a group. Kenneth loves 'jammie days' when he is allowed to wear his 'jammies' all day long and to stay in bed, when he can relax.
What more can I say than to end with another quote from Kenneth Hall. 'Children with Asperger Syndrome are the best experts on AS.' Of course they are, and we must all learn all we can from this boy.
The companion book is The Blue Bottle Mystery, An Asperger Adventure, written by Kathy Hoopmann, a primary school teacher who has been involved with children with Asperger Syndrome for many years.
This is the story of two boys at school who find an old bottle in the school yard. There seems to be some magic around, but for me, the real magic was in seeing the world through the eyes of these boys. One with Asperger Syndrome and the other not.
It is a wonderful book for your children to read, or for you to read together, and to talk about what it must be like to see the world in this particular way.
Both books will add immeasurably to our understanding of Asperger Syndrome. If you can't understand the struggle of a child with this syndrome after reading these books, then you never will!
11 comment27 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2001
I found this book easy to read,very humourous and it had me laughing out loud in public. It has given me an insight into Aspergers syndrome and a thirst to know more. The author tells it how it is and doesn't flower it up or baffle us with science. An excellent read which could be read by anyone.My 11 year old child loved it.
on 10 January 2002
I think that this book will help people understand more about their problem. I have had AS since I was seven, I am now 19. I would give this book 100/100, I think that what Kenneth Hall has said in his book is right and truthful. I can't stand many things like crowds and making decisions. One of my weakness's is maths, it's not that I hate maths it's because if i can't do some of the sums I get stressed and tend to throw the work away, which is not the best thing to do. This book he has written is ideal for people who have AS and it will help them to understand that they are not alone and that there are other people with them who has the same problem.
11 comment53 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We bought this book to enlighten us on our sons condition. It is evident that Kenneth writes with not only humour but with compassion for those that are special like himself. He sees his Aspergers not as an infliction but as a gift and it is perhaps the rest of us that need to gain insight into this. Kenneth shares his life and his feelings perfectly and we have great cofidance that our son will take comfort and no longer feel so alone when he has read this book himself.I would thoroughly recommend this as a starting point to get to grips with Aspergers Syndrome.
on 9 February 2006
This was the first book we bought after our daughter had been diagnosed and it was great to read. It gave us an insight into a different world, and made us laugh along the way. Very well written, giving Kenneths' experiences and feelings on everyday issues that we take for granted.
Excellent read.
22 comments6 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2002
This book is written by a an 8 year old boy with AS, and gives insight into how he sees the world around him. He explains the problems he has and how he and his family deal with them.
I found it very useful and will give it to my son to explain that others find things just as difficult as him.
11 comment25 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2012
I recently bought this book after my son was diagnosed with Aspergers / HFA as although I had done a lot of research online I wanted to have something to pick up and read when I wasn't at the computer too. I read this in a day, which isn't to say it is lacking in volume or information, more that it is very easy to read. Written by a child of the same age as my son is made it a must read for me and I wasn't disappointed. Even before I finished it I thought "if you don't get it after reading this book, I may as well hit you over the head with it". In a world of information overload this tells you as it is straight from the horses mouth and is a fabulous starting point for anyone wanting to find out more about Aspergers.
on 9 November 2011
Fun, easy read, interesting, and thought provoking. I think everyone should read this book to help step inside the mind of people with aspergers.
on 16 September 2008
Actually, I have never seen such a smart boy who could write about his own autism/Asperger's(a/A). In those days He still had difficulties in what society had expected of him such as handwriting, fussy eating habit, poor sleeping, and so on. Brenda Boyd, Kenneth's mother tried harder to raise her a/A kid than most parents raised kids.

However, I must admit he has some splendid talents most NT's might miss. - computer skills, maths, reading books,and playing the guitar! And those are valuable ones he should be proud of, where I found he is not a dropout! Since Kenneth could write about himself and his published book turned out to sell well, I bet even NT's must have been surprised at Kenneth's writing skills and so am I!

Now Kenneth Hall is around 20, I guess he has gotten over most of his negative a/A traits by ABA(=Applied Behavior Analysis) thanks to Brenda and other carers. Autism/Asperger's themselves will never end for the rest of our lives, though.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2004
I thought this book was brilliant and also goes well with 'Parenting a child with Asperger Syndrome : 200 tips and strategies' which is written by his mother Brenda Boyd. Buy them both together now