No book can possibly offer instant solutions that are guaranteed to cure your arthritis. That's the bad news. But the good news is that this book does present information based on sound scientific research as to which methods offer good levels of pain relief and increased mobility.

Unlike many such books this book has been re-written for the UK market, so that whilst it contains references to research carried out in the US, it also includes research from the UK. There are clear illustrations as to which exercises are the safest to carry out for people with arthritis, covering the entire body.

Some information I had never seen reproduced anywhere else - I found out by accident that careful fasting greatly relieved my own symptoms. I wondered if it was "just me." No, it isn't -fasting does work and there are several references within the book. Unfortunately fasting is also potentially dangerous with lengthy long - term use, but I now know that for me, fasting for two days a week offers me a pain-free day. It's worth it - and my weight has dropped a little, which has also helped. That's made the book worth the money.
on 2 October 2011
This book covers a lot of the issues and helpful things to know about arthritis in a fairly easy to access way. The exercise section is quite helpful, especially as you're unlikely to have much access to a physiotherapist on the NHS these days, so had better get on with devising your own programme. Diet and arthritis is also in quite helpful detail. My reservations would be:
-Much of the information is anecdotal, though personal experience is not generally a bad thing, I think, especially in comparison to some of the meaningless 'research' we hear about!
-The distinction between osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis is not always clear, and you're not always sure if the point you're reading is relevant to your type.
-It's mostly from an American perspective; that's fine, they have joints too, but some info and procedures may not be quite the same in UK.
-You could probably gather most of this information from the internet, but we all like a book that saves us the trouble!
on 10 March 2010
I have owned this book for more than a year and recomended it to friends.

At first you may think that the amount of information is daunting but it is so well indexed that everyone will easily find what they are looking for in seconds. You do not have to read it from cover to cover though you may well find yourself doing so as I have more than once.

The information is presented in a way that gives confidence. It is a result of extensive research both in the UK and USA involving several hundred people and the findings are not only clearly tabulated but also entertainingly written in the sections of personal experiences.

Sadly, it will not cure your arthritis and it does not claim to but I would be very surprised if fellow sufferers did not find it a source of comfort both physically and mentally.

I have never reviewed anything on any website before but this book deserves to be widely known, in my opinion.
on 6 July 2012
Much of the content of this book is rather dated. The author writes something like 'a recent study...' and then you see that the study was actually from 1987! So I certainly would not recommend this as your only reading if you are looking to understand arthritis. However, the unique selling point is the analysis of surveys of arthritis sufferers in the US and UK. Also there is a very good and detailed exercise section. It's worth the 1p plus £2.80 I paid for a good secondhand copy.
on 26 January 2014
I read this book just to give me more knowledge on arthritis, it's a basic information and simple to understand
on 9 July 2015