Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 March 2012
Pooke & Newall`s book is a must for students of the history of art...
I decided to pursue my love (probably obsession) with art and I began studying art history academically in September 2011, after a 20-odd year hiatus (first essay was a nightmare for so many reasons), with the wonderful Open University. I had developed what had become a nascent intrigue into where it had all come from, where it was heading, what it all really meant. One of the first things I discovered is that art history/the history of art are not exactly interchangeable terms, but have distinct meanings. This seemingly minor point, as well as concepts such as "what is art", are covered to begin with... it leads the undergraduate/amateur art sleuth through a structured introduction to this massive paradigm...
It goes on to look at methodologies, gender issues, Marxism, semiotics, poststructuralism (good luck...), pschoanalysis, postmodernism and a look at globalisation.
The book covers the subjects very well, it is well researched and sourced, it is easily readable which makes it accessible and crucially for the beginner it offers pithy summaries. It will form part of the essential introduction to learning the 'new' art history I am sure...
If you are serious about getting serious about this subject, as I am, then you will do well to find a better starting point... I`d advise you not to wade in at the what I`d call the top end (other primary & secondary sources will all be revealed in time and are referred to throughout) as you will either get lost or put off.
If you are like me and want to run before you can crawl then buy this book... you will be flaneuring before you know it...
rw
on 26 November 2008
This book should be owned by every higher education student or artist who is studying fine art, art history/theory as it contains excellent condensed information and suggests further reading to facilitate an understanding of contemporary practice. The terms used in this book are commonplace in art history/theory and are often misunderstood - the authors have endeavoured to address this successfully. The previous review suggests that these are 'newish theories' however they are mistaken as all these theories are embedded in the reading of art practice, both historical and contemporary. This book is long overdue!
on 9 February 2011
I brought this product as I am studying fine art and want to continue this with art history next. I feel this book has been invaluable and the language and examples used are very clear. I would recommend this to any one who studies a specialism within art or who has an interest in art history.
on 10 August 2010
I just wanted to say that I'm sitting here at my computer and amid the pandemonium of reading piles of literature and trying to make sense of the mess, your book is like a warm bath of calm - I dug it out yesterday and it makes so many things clear...a brilliant little book.
on 13 September 2014
This book is great for those reading about art history for the first time but if you know a good amount about the main ideas in art there isn't anything new for you here.
on 11 September 2012
This should really be titled "Theories on NEW art history". As a mature student I came to art history as an outsider and was surprised to find a debate raging in academia over re-interpreting art & history through contemporary hang-ups. This book refers mostly to modern ideologies in making a pseudo science of art history. There are plenty of "isms" - Marxism, feminism, post-colonialism, etc but not much art. It worries me when art historians identify themselves with these leanings as it surely undermines objectivity & research. I guess the book is useful to have an alternative view so I'll keep it even though I dislike it. As a holiday book I found it a very handy size for swatting wasps.
on 1 May 2013
Good book which led me to the one I was looking for: 'The story of art' by Gombrich.
They clearly explain basics of art and the book is not that big so it is easy to read it quickly.
Recommended!
on 3 January 2016
Fast delivery, as expected.
on 6 September 2013
I think the title is slightly ambiguous. More knowledge of Art History is required in order to benefit from it.
on 22 December 2014
its not most interseting way of putting it!