on 14 July 2010
Mid to late 90's anime, still looks nice now (2010), but remember it is 90's anime, its not going to look like Claymore.

The story is about an unlikely partnership between 2 police detectives, investigating the murder of a 'Third', or advanced robot on Mars. This murder leads to a string of 'Third' murders, and a growing hatred toward robot kind by the residents of Mars. I wont say any more as I don't want to spoil.

I would recommend this if you haven't seen it. The story is good, but I would do recommend buying this with Armitage: Dual Matrix, the sequel (this wasn't available in the UK, I had to import, this may have changed). The sequel helps conclude everything, it's set a few years later and the animation is nicer too.

I originally bought this in parts on VHS in the late 90's. Many years later I bought the DVD, which covers all parts in a 90min movie. Sadly the individual parts on VHS totalled more than 90mins, so some parts have been cut for no good reason...to fit into 90 mins I guess, which was an average movie length back then. It feels shorter though, I think it needed the cut parts to help build the charaters more. It also means we don't get the cool intro and soundtrack which started each VHS episode (this could have been an extra on the DVD!). We do get a new introduction to Armitage, on a bike...unseen in the VHS.

Elizabeth Berkley and Kiefer Sutherland have re-dubbed the anime for the DVD. I have issues with this. Kiefer sounds like Kiefer, no real issues there, he does a good job, but he doesn't really add anything. Elizabeth Berkley (I had to Google her) annoys me, the original voice actor was far superior! The original voice actor made Armitage, give her character and real emotion. Elizabeth just feels wooden...though she does improve as the movie goes on, but still not as good as he original voice actor IMHO. Saying that, if you haven't seen the original dub then you probably won't notice, you won't know what you're missing. I'd choose the original any day, but lets face it; DVD is easier than 4 tapes that I'd have to pull out of a box in the shed...

So yeah, interesting story, a true 90's classic, those who were part of the short lived UK anime revolution will remember this well. I remember I even had an Armitage T shirt! If you have the chance to see the original VHS, go for that. This is the next best alternative, it should be in you collection along with Dual Matrix!