Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now
Customer Discussions > Skinny Bitch forum

Are you a vegan or a meat eater?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jul 2007 11:13:14 BDT
Hello Amazon customers!

This book appears to make a case for veganism. In light of the recent rise in popularity of this book, we wanted to know if you were a meat eater who turned to veganism after reading this book? Or did you find that the information in this book wasn't for you?

Is veganism really a healthy option or is a little meat in your diet essential?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2007 23:03:31 BDT
J.Bates says:
I've given this a quick once over, and to be honest, it just irritated me. It would have been better if they had actually stated earlier on that the book boasted a vegan belief, rather than giving out the sermon of 'thou shalt not eat meat, dairy, sugar, booze or anything that casts a shadow' all that kind of rubbish.

I've always thought all three of the main diets, vegan, vegetarian and omnivore, are valid and healthy when approached the right way, but the holier than thou attitude this book seemed to promote was not the way to enlighten people, unless they are suseptible to fads. In fact, the prose kind of sounded like something my aunt would come out with after one too many drinks. Overall, not impressed.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2007 15:43:06 BDT
I loved this book - it's like a diet bootcamp for your brain, and yes I've been trying to adopt a vegan diet since reading it - I'm aiming to follow their diet 80% of the time at the moment, but I may go 100% in the future. Can't wait for their cookbook!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Aug 2007 08:28:37 BDT
D. N. M. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2007 15:25:40 BDT
Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, D. N. M., but although they advice to eat a lot of fruit and veg (raw or steamed), they do not advocate a raw diet (at least not openly). Of course, if you have already researched about raw food, you may find clues if you read 'between the lines' but that's about it.

As far as I'm concerned, I was vegan before purchasing the book and decided to buy it because I knew what it was all about and wanted to see how they'd written a book which was aimed at the 'general population' (as opposed to a prepared veg*an croud).
I do agree there is a lot of swearing but it shouldn't stop you from understanding the point of this book: there is a lot of crap in the food most people eat.
Some people may find the part about slaughterhouses stomach turning, but this is nevertheless the truth and people should know about it. Then if they choose to carry on eating corpses and pus, fair enough, everyone is free of their choices...

I'd also like to point out that a vegan diet can be unhealthy if you eat vegan junk food, which is increasingly available; vegan fudge, for instance, is mainly made of: sugar, soya drink, hydrogenated vegetable fat and flavouring, a.k.a. CRAP.

All the swearing and the graphic descriptions should not deter you from reading it, I found it very useful and motivating (and I'm nothing like a masochist!).

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2007 18:18:35 BDT
Absolutely healthy. Look, if you can't stick a diet to make you loose weight, then why not try adopting a philosophy that definitely will. I had shortly before I picked this book up and I can tell you that I've dropped several sizes, have lost my allergies-seriously! No diet will change your body like veganism. Too many people want quick fixes but continue to put fatty dairy into their bodies. I can't conceive of eating a lump of cheese now-it would be like eating a lump of lard! I was a size 12-14 with stubborn saddlebags and other things-now I'm a healthy size 8, and haven't lost my D-cups! I have more energy too.
Note to D.N.M. soya is the main protein source of the worlds most populated countries.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2007 19:04:10 GMT
P. Miller says:
veganism is a healthy option and we don t need to eat meat - why would we? how would our original ancestors had meat and dairy? we don t need them and the places in the world that have less of them have less heart disease, the biggest killer in the west.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2007 19:05:52 GMT
P. Miller says:
its not as hard as you think, just do it!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2007 19:06:38 GMT
P. Miller says:
whats wrong with soy??

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2008 18:24:32 GMT
R. Moorhouse says:
Soy can have problems with high levels of barium I read once. I believe processed soy is fine, like tofu and soy milk etc. Milk will kill you faster than soy, let's see...if soy was so bad would it be the main asian protein source? Japanese people have been eating tofu since it came over from china. Since this book is so cheap I really wanted to check it out, but it just seems there is "normal" meat-eater recipies inside, just "changed" to be vegan. Any vegan can do that. You should try my "cheese"cake ;) you'll be amazed

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2008 19:36:49 GMT
After adopting a vegan diet I genuinely did lose weight, my skin became clearer and my hair grew longer, I feel a lot better. My taste buds changed so that I enjoyed eating more fruit and vegetables. After doing a lot of research Veganism can be the best diet if adopted correctly. Our bodies have evolved now where we are more suitable for eating plant food rather than meat. Our anatomy is very close to a herbivore we have long digestive tracts and our saliva is alkaline suitable for digesting grains and fruits, we have much less acid in our stomachs than carnivores for digesting meat and no matter how much fat carnivores eat they do not get clogged arteries, whereas we do. Humans have to eat their meat cooked not raw, and carnivores have to eat meat to survive whereas humans are better off not eating it: which all suggests we are not meant to eat meat. All our nutrients etc can all be obtained through a wide range of plant foods. Studies have shown that vegetarians live longer and suffer less from diseases such as hypertension, obesity, coronary artery disease, certain kinds of cancer (cancer rates among vegetarians are 25-50 per cent less than non-vegetarians), gallstones and diabetes, and have lower cholesterol. Vegetarian diets can even be used to treat illnesses. Vegetarians have half to three-quarters the risk of dying of heart disease compared to non-vegetarians (British Medical Association).

Ninety five per cent of all food poisoning comes from meat and animal products. Over use of antibiotics has produced deadly superbugs.

In the UK alone, 850 million animals and hundreds of millions of fish are killed that's more than three million animals a day. Before they are slaughtered, hundreds of millions lead desolate, disease-ridden short lives on factory farms. Modern factory farms cram as many animals as possible in the smallest space where they often never see daylight. In particular pigs (who are as intelligent as a three year old child), chickens and ducks are treated horrendously cruel yet there are few laws to protect them.

While 750 million people go to bed hungry every night, one-third of the world's grain is fed to farmed animals. A typical Western meat-based diet can only feed 2.5 billion people: a plant-based diet will feed every one of us.

Eating meat and dairy also is damaging to the environment rainforests are cleared for grazing; methane from livestock causes global warming; soil is eroded by cattle; slurry poisons waterways; and the seas are laid to waste by overfishing.

Dairy products are devoid of fibre vitamin C and iron and are linked to allergies, heart disease and cancer. Studies have shown that milk and cheese may actually cause osteoporosis not prevent it since their high protein content actually leaches calcium from the body. Osteoporosis is actually higher in western countries where there is higher dairy product intake.

There are other healthier sources of calcium such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, pulses, tofu and seeds as well as plenty of dairy alternatives such as soya milk and rice milk. Human beings are the only animals which consume milk after infancy - and the milk of another species at that. It is neither natural nor healthy. The American Dietetic Association has declared that a vegan diet can provide all the nutrition that human beings need - from cradle to grave. Veganism is infinitely closer to the diet human beings evolved to thrive on than a normal, animal fat-soaked western diet.

Big companies make huge amounts of money from animal products and wield enormous power so governments are not very willing to change them. There hasn't been the political will to change the national diet even though the World Health Organisation say that is what needs to happen.

Since I changed my diet to vegan I found that I experimented more with food and made new really tasty recipes, there really is a lot of choice and meat alternatives available in the local supermarkets and going vegan really is one of the best things I have done. Viva is a great website to start with if you are thinking of making the change.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2008 21:38:43 GMT
Isabelle says:
I have changed over to veganism after reading this book and feel great.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 09:06:51 BDT
Mr Laurel says:
I bought the book 12 months ago, at an airport, thinking it would be lighthearted holiday reading about celebrity fad diets or similar. It was a surprise therefore to find myself reading a 'punches not pulled' vegan polemic. However, I have subsequently been vegan now for 12 months. I have lost a little weight, my skin is a LOT clearer, and I no longer get my mid-afternoon daily headache. I feel 'clean' - I like being able to say I am 'totally plant', and I have found it very easy to source vegan products from ordinary supermarkets. The one thing I am unsure about is their advocacy for vegan convenience foods, as I suspect these could be just as crap as non-vegan ones. There is definitely worth in adopting this lifestyle, but with (perhaps) a raw, or natural slant overall.

Posted on 30 May 2009 19:48:09 BDT
A. Vince says:
I'm vegan and have been since I was 14. Animal liberation, human liberation <3
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Skinny Bitch forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  17 Jul 2007
Latest post:  30 May 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Skinny Bitch
Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman (Paperback - 4 Jan. 2007)
3.6 out of 5 stars (233)