Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Up to 70% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jan 2011 10:47:33 GMT
Leo says:
I was about to order my Kindle when I saw the non-lighted covers disappearing first from the US store and now from the UK store. What gives? Will they be back in stock or are these being pulled?

Posted on 18 Jan 2011 19:20:51 GMT
A. F. Fell says:
Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle) This is not the product link - because the un-lighted black Kindle cover is no longer listed on the UK website, so I've had to use the reference code for the lighted product.

Having had to make two calls for service advice for my 3G Kindle in less than a week, I am now informed that the un-lighted cover made by Amazon has a fault: the two metal blades that hook into the Kindle on the LHS apparently short-circuit the Kindle battery current. In the lighted cover version these metal blades pick up Kindle battery current in order to power the reading light. This short circuit makes it impossible to fully charge the Kindle when fixed in the un-lighted cover - the Kindle indicator light is, shall we say, forever amber. It doesn't go green to show that the battery is fully charged, even after 24 hours on charge via USB to the PC ! This electrical fault may explain at least some of the bizarre faults reported by users about Kindle screens "freezing" and other paranormal phenomena.

Paradoxically, the lighted Amazon cover does NOT appear to have this issue - and is currently recommended by Amazon as an option to overcome this problem with the cheaper version - although it has to be said that the lighted version is very much more expensive ...! Considering the exorbitant cost of these Amazon accessories (£30 or $48 for the un-lighted cover; £50 or $80 for the lighted version in the UK market) it's rather surprising that the un-lighted version should be so poorly designed that it interferes with the operation of the device.

So the answer to Valentina Gioppo's question would seem to be that Amazon has indeed withdrawn the un-lighted cover version from the market because of this mysterious "shorting" fault, reported in several different forms by many Kindle users.

Posted on 18 Jan 2011 19:36:07 GMT
Leo says:
I contacted Amazon about this both in UK and USA and they both gave me the standard reply: the item is not in stock and you will be notified when and if it is available again. To be noted, they were quick to recommend the lighted cover instead, so I second A.F. Fell´s thoughts about the cover being pulled because of the aforementioned problems. I opted for the lighted cover myself and despite the price I think it might be worth it as an all-around solution to protect and use the Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2011 22:53:53 GMT
A. F. Fell says:
Valentina Gioppo is correct - the lighted cover is recommended by Amazon (at higher cost) because "it has no issues when connected to the Kindle", as Amazon Kindle Service said to me. They no longer supply the un-lighted Amazon cover - because unfortunately a batch of the un-lighted covers has a short-circuit fault linked to the two metal blades that are used to clip the Kindle into the cover. This fault arises because the narrow sockets where these two blades enter the left side of the Kindle are actually live connectors to the battery. In the case of my 3G Wi-Fi Kindle, this short-circuit fault in the cover led to very lengthy recharge times (about 24 hrs).

Any other Kindle users who have problems induced by the faulty un-lighted cover should negotiate with Kindle Service for a refund for the faulty cover - and they should also request a complimentary payment to compensate for the inconvenience - this is available here in the UK. This indicates that Amazon has recognised the problem with faulty un-lighted covers and is taking it seriously.
Tony Fell, Leeds, UK

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 06:43:44 GMT
P. Snell says:
I toohad ongoing problems with my Kindle resetting itself when in the cover. After many chats with Amazon, they said take it out of the cover. This worked but I am now left with no cover. Will Amazon send replacement covers to those effected? My husband has no problem with his cover. Both covers are non-lit.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 10:16:28 GMT
Leo says:
Contact Amazon. They will issue a refund for the cover that was faulty. I own a Kindle lighted cover and so far I have experienced no problems with it and the light is a nifty addition! :)

Posted on 26 Jan 2011 10:51:47 GMT
I have just contacted Amazon with regard to my Kindle continually locking up and not recharging fully. They told me the fault IS with this case and that they will refund my account.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 10:53:06 GMT
Leo says:
Hi Michael, Yes I have also always experienced the best customer service from Amazon and I am sure they will refund any faulty case

Posted on 26 Jan 2011 10:53:26 GMT
P. Snell says:
I have since purchased a separate light and also a different type of cover. It is a shame because the Kindle covers look so smart.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 10:54:29 GMT
Leo says:
P. Snell: They do look smart and I am quite happy with my lighted cover. It probably would have costed me the same to buy a cover and a separate light of the same quality.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 11:05:34 GMT
Hi Valentina, fair play to Amazon...they were very helpful, admitted the fault and offered the refund. Good enough for me! Shame about the case though, I quite liked it. Guess I'll buy the lighted version now

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 11:09:06 GMT
P. Snell says:
I have dealt with Amazon for over the past year and have absolutely no problem with their service. They even called me one day to check everything was OK. My only comment is that today is the first time I have heard they were refunding money. I have bought 3 Kindles and only mine has the problem and very are very happy with our Kindles to the point where I will not even consider buying an I-pad to read books from!

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 11:11:31 GMT
Leo says:
Michael: You will like the lighted version. I had reservations but I think the light is really more than adequate and it just hides beautifully when not in use.

P.Snell: I did buy an iPad to read books! That failed to convert me to e-books, but I must say the Kindle is winning me over, even though I´ve had it for only 2 days :)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 11:13:33 GMT
P. Snell says:
My mother says she has never read so much in her life. I told her that at 70 there is no reason why she should not read when she wants to. I also seem to have gotten good at speed reading as I churn through books at an incredible rate.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2011 11:26:28 GMT
Leo says:
P.Snell: I can relate with the speed. I started a book two days ago and I already read 66% of it, which is quite a lot above my usual reading speed rate, especially for an average thriller! Your mother must surely appreciate the ability to adjust font sizes :)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2011 19:00:33 GMT
Toni Carr says:
I have just received my Kindle and want an unfussy plain cover to protect it from knocks when travelling. I don't want one with a light, so does this mean there is no choice?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2011 19:49:54 GMT
P. Snell says:
I bought a BUILT Neoprene Kindle Sleeve which is cool but smells bit bit rubbery.

Posted on 9 Mar 2011 19:55:03 GMT
I bought this cover and it was one that caused the problems which are now well documented. I noticed that the upper lug on the hinge was probably touching the electrical contact inside the Kindle. This is meant for the cover with a light. I used a small instrument file and carefully removed two millimetres from the tip of the lug. My Kindle has worked perfectly ever since.

Posted on 11 Mar 2011 16:06:30 GMT
N. Pope says:
I thought the standard cover without a light was expensive and am very reluctant to buy the "lighted" cover for £50.99, although I do need to get a decent cover for my Kindle. The lack of any comments from Amazon giving details of potential availability are more than annoying. It is poor customer service. If the Kindle was not an Amazon product, I would have gone elsewhere to source a cover that fits the Kindle properly.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2011 07:18:53 BDT
Matt Gibson says:
My cover seemed to be causing crashing issues with my Kindle; I called up Amazon in January and they sent me the lighted version, free of charge. My Kindle hasn't crashed since, and battery life is a lot more predictable.

Shame, though, as while the lighted cover is quite cool, I don't often need the built-in reading light, and it's significantly heavier than this version of the case.

I don't know if all these cases were affected, or if it was just a batch, or a random problem that doesn't affect them all. And I don't know if Amazon have explicitly recalled them, or whether they're just exchanging them for people who are actually having crashing problems.

So, I guess this case is at least temporarily pulled as a precaution. Hopefully there will be a safe replacement along at some point, because it's actually a very nice, albeit quite pricey case.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2011 12:38:51 BDT
Peggoty says:
I quite agree the cost of the lighted cover is prohibitive. The Kindle is not cheap and I feel that protecting it is important but £50 odd pounds? I also would have liked the option to go elsewhere for the cover. Is this a case of Amazon being greedy or just protectionism?

Posted on 24 May 2011 00:08:27 BDT
Caz says:
I've been having the exact same problem but didn't realise it was because of the case. I contacted Amazon CS on Saturday and they very kindly agreed to send me a new Kindle, they didn't mention anything about the case being the problem - admittedly I didn't tell them I was using a case because I didn't think it was the cause of the problem. It sounds like I will still have the problem when I put the new kindle in the old leather case. I will call them again now I have this new information and hopefully they will refund the cost of the leather case.

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 09:01:49 GMT
I bought a 3G Kindle at the end of 2010 with the hard case. I have had intermittent problems with it locking up and no amount of resetting gets it going until it has been charged again (usually when I am on vacation and wanting to read a book!). It has been in one of these "un-lighted" hard cases since day one, and having Googled it it seems that many people have power issues that may be related to the case. I have just got off the 'phone with Amazon CS - as the Kindle is out of warranty they have offered a replacement for £50, but though I mentioned the case to two different operatives they dismissed it as being the issue. See this CNET link for further comment on the issue - http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20026116-1.html.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  18 Jan 2011
Latest post:  9 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions