Regarded as one of the most difficult languages to learn for native English speakers by the U.S. State Department, Arabic is gaining both prominence and importance in America. Recent world events have brought more and more Americans and other English speakers into contact with Arabic-speaking populations, and governments and businesses are increasingly aware of the importance of basic Arabic language skills. Arabic for Dummies
provides you with a painless and fun way to start communicating in Arabic.
Why should you learn Arabic? Well, besides the fact that over 200 million people in more than 22 nations use it to communicate, there are tons of reasons to get up to speed this 1,400 year old language, including:
- Nearly all of the Middle-East speaks Arabic or one of its dialects
- Basic Arabic skills are extremely useful for anyone traveling to, doing business in, or serving in the Middle East
- It is the language in which the Koran is written
- There is a rich, centuries-old literary tradition in Arabic
Arabic For Dummies presents the language in the classic, laid-back For Dummies style. Taking a relaxed approach to this difficult language, it’s packed with practice dialogues and communication tips that will have you talking the talk in no time. You’ll get the scoop on:
- The Arabic alphabet, pronunciation, basic grammar, and the rules of transliteration
- The history of the language and information on classical Arabic and its dialects
- How to make small talk and make yourself understood when dining, shopping, or traveling around town
- How to communicate on the phone and in business conversations
- Handy words and phrases for dealing with money, directions, hotels, transportation, and emergencies
- Arabic culture and etiquette, including ten things you should never do in Arabic countries
The book also includes an Arabic-English dictionary, verb tables, and an audio CD with dialogues from the book to help you perfect your pronunciation. Written by a native Arabic speaker who helped start a year-round Arabic department at Middlebury College, Arabic For Dummies is just what you need to start making yourself understood in Arabic.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
From the Back Cover
Your survival guide for everyday words and expressions Your fun and friendly guide to Modern Standard Arabic This unintimidating guide will help you start speaking Modern Standard Arabic — beginning today! Whether you′re a student, a traveler, or you work in business or government, you′ll find it′s packed with practical lessons, cultural facts, and handy references — including coverage of written Arabic, an Arabic–English mini–dictionary, lists of vital verbs, and more! Discover how to Have everyday conversations in Arabic Make sense of Arabic grammar Improve your pronunciation Use idioms and popular expressions Get around in Arabic–speaking countries