Format: Hardcover|Change

on 11 March 2014
I keep coming back to this book, not only because it is beautiful, with attractive texture, smell (all these things are important!) appearance and layout, but because not one of the recipes has let me down. I didn't think my bolognese sauce could be improved till I tried Nessa's tips, and while I laughed at first at the idea of thinly slicing cooked potatoes under the top layer of a lasagne, I have to say it really works and I do it all the time now. Carbohydrate overload, but for wet kids in off bikes on windy days there is nothing to beat it. Her scones, her cakes, her chicken in white wine sauce are all really good too. To me, she is up there with Tim Norrington-Davies as a homely, chatty cook whose recipes are realistic and rooted in my kind of life. I hope she wins a prize in Beijing - she deserves it.
on 21 May 2013
Nessa's first book is a fantastic collection of meals, goodies and titbits of info which every house should have! One to keep :-)
on 16 June 2013
this is a charming book written in an excellent manner by this debutante. it is not just a cook book but a life manual. it is filled with stories of the authors life and it is clear the influence her parents had on her and the love and respect she has for them though sadly passed. the book focuses strongly on the family unit and it is filled with the most beautiful photographs of her children. the recipes while simple are both practical and well worth the effort. everyday ingredients are the norm as opposed to the inaccessible items you see in other works. this book should be a mainstay in any family kitchen.