Format: CD-ROM|Change
Price:£49.99+ £3.89 shipping

on 8 August 2001
I've been using unix in various forms for about 12 years now and think Apple have a winner here. Mac OSX hides all the unix characteristic from the user, so much so that I had no worries in installing it on my 50-something mother's iMac. She's never heard of unix and doesn't know she's now using it!.
From a non-technical user's point of view, OSX is just a cosmetic facelift for Apple's OS9. You will not need to learn any new cryptic commands or understand anything related to unix.
For the more adventurous or those familiar with unix, OSX does give you a full unix system without compromises. You'll get a shell (tcsh default) interface to all aspects of the system, and thanks to the beautiful Aqua window manager you'll drool over the best looking unix GUI ever made.
All types of user will enjoy the ever growing library of software, free, shareware and commercial that's appearing for OSX. After only 4 or 5 months, there's already more software available for OSX than I ever had access to with the other unix systems I used. At this rate, software support for OSX is extremely promising.

Right now (Aug 2001) I would recommend people wait a few more weeks for OSX 1.1 to be released, since it promises significant speed improvements and wider hardware support.
on 18 October 2001
OS X is probably the best thing that's happened to the Mac in a long long time.
I've been running it on my 233 mhz iMac for several months now and have found it incredibly stable. Once I'd bumped up the RAM a bit (well, more than a bit - this system likes RAM and uses it well) it's been humming along at a good pace for what's really quite an old machine nowadays.
The new update is out and 10.1 is an impressive update - performance is boosted at least threefold and best of all you can burn CDs from the desktop with just one click - something we'd been missing in X until now. Lots of the hardware incompatibilities have been ironed out and hardware manufacturers seem to be coming out with updated drivers in much more force.
The best thing is due in a couple of weeks time - Office v.X for OSX. It looks fantastic (and according to beta testers it is fantastic) and there's a really good deal for Office 2001 owners in the UK. If you've bought your copy of Office 2001 between Sept 1st and Nov 30th you can upgrade to the version for OSX for the cost of postage and packing(I should say here that I do not work for Microsoft)! Go to Microsoft's UK site and follow the links to Office for Mac to find out more. It has to be one of the best deals I've seen them offer for a while....
on 4 January 2002
I have been using OS X since the release the 24th of March, and was a bit disapointed to begin with, but with 10.1 release the OS is ready for prime time. DVD playback and CD recording works like a dream. Not ONE single crash since i installed it, faster classic mode and tight integration with the internet. I can turn on the worlds most powerful webserver (Apache) with one click. This is amazing! Burning music CDs with iTunes in seconds. Everyone can be powerusers and do what you only thought was tasks for geeks. A must get for any Mac user using a G3 or higher.
on 16 April 2001
I have recently moved over to the Macintosh and one of the reasons was the exciting new Mac OS X. After installation on my Power Mac G4, I was delighted, a beautiful intuitive interface called "Aqua", nothing even comes close on the all-conquering PC. However, after a few days I now feel rather disappointed, why? The reasons are simple, lack of hardware support. I have a HP Photosmart Printer and USB Hermstedt ISDN device. Guess what? Both aren't supported under OS X, not yet anyway until drivers are launched which could be as far away as August for the ISDN! Great, back to 56kps Modem then. That's what they call progress! Another reason why I opted for the Mac was the easy looking and intuitive Apple applications such as iTunes for MP3 playback and ripping and iMovie for movie making. Unfortunately, these programmes are not included in the first release and you have to download them from Apple's web site and after you have installed them you find that OS X doesn't support CD burning, so much for making music CD's with those MP3's then! Oh, well there will be another update later this spring, Apple says! I don't want to sound negative, but this OS just isn't ready for primetime and won't be until more applications and support are provided in future updates, until then, expect to be wowed by the looks but wondering why you bothered to update!!
on 20 May 2002
Stable, fun to use, supports every app and is easy to personalise! Fantastic! I'ved lived through all versions of Windows, Mac OS (pre-X), Solaris, Linux, but none come even close! If you are considering moving to OSX from any other OS (especially Windows), don't hesitate! You definitely will not be disappointed! What an OS should be!
on 21 January 2002
This is what a computer OS should be - stable and easy to use. The software update works a treat. iTunes and iPhoto are wonderful - the iPod synchronisation is another excellent feature. I've used Unix for years - it has always been better than Windows and this is the best Unix ever. Well done Apple.
on 8 May 2015
Mac ox x.1 upgrade
I bought Mac OS X as soon as it was released, It looks great, is a dream to use, powerful as can be, is fast and seemingly indestructible, ie. it hasn't crashed once!!! But the games I play eg. Deus EX and Oni, as well as other software such as Appleworks 6 are incompatible even when in 'classic' mode! The games and Appleworks have to be run using OS 9.1 - ie. you have to reboot the system in 9.1 to run them. Keep an eye out for mac OS X patches as when most software is made compatible or 'native' then you will see the full benefits of the OS.