Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

Apparently, PSN has less lag than Xbox Live

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Feb 2008 08:47:41 GMT
C. Cranmer says:
...yet, with all their bragging about PSN not being a P2P network like Xbox Live is, it would seem that they can only handle 14 players. Shame.

By the way, I am aware that a 2 player difference means nothing. I just fancied a laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2008 13:30:23 GMT
Lag is affected when:

a) Your own connection to the game is slow or out of sync with the host, or...
b) The host of the online game has a poor connection to the Internet or the online service's servers.

Both of these create lag regardless of the platform you play it on.

The online multiplayer is 14 players for all platforms, the only way it can be 16 is if you use your console to set up a dedicated server.

I'm not shouting at you personally or defending one console over another, I was just clarifying these facts.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2008 19:35:26 GMT
I've seen a lot of lag on both platforms when I've played online, and couldn't honestly say if one has more lag than the other. Saying that though, as you do pay a hefty premium for Xbox Live, you'd sort of expect no lag at all. I never seem to get it when playing PC games online, and that costs me nothing it's worth noting.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2008 14:22:21 GMT
S. E. Cook says:
Yes but surley the XBOX guys are trying to buy and view as many HD-DVD's as they can before the shops stop selling them.

hehehe

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 14:39:11 GMT
Dann The Man says:
Im not being in anyway discriminating or prejudice, but i have a question. I play 360 games online and there is a lot of lag in the evening, not so bad during the day i tend to notice. Is this because the Live Server is based in America? and obviously our evening would be their morning/afternoon???

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2008 20:57:59 GMT
Kyle M. says:
I still cant get over that with PSN you cant talk to each other in game, Yeah I suppose it is free unlike the xbox live but seriously you get what you paid for with the xbox 360.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2008 21:50:13 GMT
Dann, you hit the nail on the head, not only that but during any type of school holidays, trying not to offend anyone here, but due to increase internet usage all over, it put's more demand on usage going to the telephone exchanges, thus laggy experience.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2008 13:21:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2008 13:29:49 GMT
Guys you shouldn't bother comparing XBOX LIVE to PSN there is no comparison, XBOX Live may have a few lag issues but that is probably due extra hundreds of thousands or users it has over PSN. I have both consoles and thanks to ring of death I have been stuck with just PSN for 2 weeks and it drove me mad!! It is slow annoying and very un-user friendly. I mean has anyone tried played COD4 you are greet with a "DOWNLOADING GAME SETTINGS" screen for 5 mins before you can play. Bluetooth Headsets are next to useless and 90% of plaers dont even bother which gets rid of vital team talk, you can only invite friends to play with you if they are already playing the same game!, if you get a message from a friend you have to come out of your game back to the PS3 dashboard and then read it. Dont get me wrong the PS3 is great console, and I enjoy playing Warhawk for eg, but I would rather pay £200 a year for XBOX Live then have PSN for free

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2008 17:37:52 BDT
Max says:
Day time and early morning (eg 1am) are generally seen as off-peak in the eyes of the ISP, ie Sky, BT or Virgin, and generally they reduce available bandwidth to heavier users. For example on-line gamers and heavy downloaders. This is to give the average user a chance to chat on MSN when they get home from work and that sort of thing. This is written in the small print of any contract you have with your ISP, as I found the same problems when gaming on-line. I tend to game on-line using both PC and Xbox and both slow down late afternoon/evening. This is normal, and nothing to do with the location of Microsofts servers. In my experience, I am happy with the latency i get, plus the availability of downloads for your xbox is greater than that for PS3, but perhaps this will change over the next year or two. I hope this answers the questions of Mr. Charlton and Dann the Mann.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  1 Feb 2008
Latest post:  30 Mar 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about