Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 May 2014
Admittedly I wasn't aware of this novel before I was kindly contacted by the publisher with the question if I would like a copy for review, but when I hit the line in the above blurb that described Satan as a dead-ringer for George Clooney I was sold. So as soon as the now hotly anticipated novel made its way into my hands, I started reading it and I didn't stop until I was finished. Partly because it was short, but mainly because it was that good.

Apocalypse Next Tuesday takes characters from religion and propels them into contemporary times, inexplicably powers and all, and makes it work. You don't have to be a religious expert to understand what is going on though. Hints back to biblical times and fables referenced within the novel are all explained, so even the most atheistic of readers will not get confused by a bush suddenly bursting into flames (to name but one example).

And despite the heavy religious theme running throughout the story (I say 'despite' because it could wrongly give prospective readers the impression that this is a bit of dry reading), this novel is very, very funny. With Satan favouring his looks as either George Clooney or Alicia Keys, and God making an appearance in the form of Emma Thompson serving a cup of tea whilst in an English country house (the epitome of Britishness), you know you're in for a humorous ride.

Another reason why I really enjoyed this is because it was such a quick read. I finished it in about two hours, which made it a welcome change from the daunting bulky novels weighing down my to-read pile. It also makes it ideal if you want to take a brief break from such an intense and vast volume by turning to a lighter book (literally and figuratively). The language used is simplistic, which added to the novel being an easy read, and with the story interspersed with newspaper style comics you'd almost assume this is a children's book. Though filled with grown-up themes and prone to taking the mickey out of religion, this is very much a novel aimed at adults.

Apocalypse Next Tuesday is one of the most bizarre yet strangely alluring books I've ever read. Don't let the fantastical take on the biblical story fool you into thinking that this is just a wild ride on a satirical roller-coaster, because there is also an incredibly good story within the novel. It's about love, family and mortality just as much as it is about fancying a hot carpenter who looks like a Beegee and can walk on water.
on 10 December 2014
Hmmm. I enjoyed the first few chapters - the characters were quirky and interesting. But it degenerated into fantastical silliness. On the other hand, if you are not put off by scenes such as Jesus waiting to board a freighter bound for Palestine, or a cartoonish Apocalypse starting in a small town in Germany, then maybe you will have a different opinion. My opinion: a fantastical plot has to balance the fantastic elements with sufficiently realistic emotional and physical elements (basically, plausibility), otherwise it just become silly. Unfortunately, "Apocalypse Next Tuesday" failed to get the balance right. A pity, because two of the main characters (the two sisters) and their relationship were interesting, likeable and believable for the most part.
on 19 April 2016
Love the author!!!! It was delivered after a few days!!!! Really pleased with the delivery!!!
on 1 October 2014