Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.25

on 19 October 2009
Apache is a girl's book! Ok, ok, so it's really a boys book but don't be fooled by the stereotypically masculine cover and the macho hard hitting words, it really is a girl's book too.

How did I end up reading it? 3 grown men in my family have read it and they've all had big crocodile tears rolling down their faces, I swear. I've seen them punch the air in triumph, explode in raucous hilarity and then sit giggling for hours as they read on. I even had to endure the constant "you're never going to believe this", "this is incredible" and after catching them try to hide their damp cheeks "you're going to have to read this". If that wasn't bad enough I was then shown the footage online. "Yeah alright, I get the point; it's a true story..." I thought my hubby was arguably sad for sitting up until 3am in the morning reading and finally when he'd finished it I was a happy lady.
Apache was sat on the kitchen table waiting to be loaned out (yet again) and whilst waiting for a cake to bake (sorry, they don't all come from the supermarket!) I had a peek at the pictures. By pure accident I started reading the text next to the pictures on page 102. I burst out laughing and found myself engrossed in no time (a girl Apache pilot, never!). For the next 2 days I couldn't pull myself way from it. I tried, I really couldn't and he had to put up with the bedroom lamp on until 3 in the morning for once.

I took it to book club and all the ladies reluctantly purchased it and began reading. Remarkably they ended up sitting up until all hours too and it's the first time we've all completed a book in the same week. The comments were unanimous. We all experienced every emotion possible and couldn't quite believe we would like a book about a current war. This isn't for the faint hearted either. If you have a family member serving in Afghanistan and don't want to know the very scary truth, give it a wide berth; it will suck you in and before you know it you will be crying with worry. I've never felt so compelled to write a book review before, despite being an ardent reader. Pleasingly it doesn't go into politics or question what we are doing in Afghanistan in the first place. It just tells the story of what it's like to fight in the world's most hostile country. It's a firsthand account of what it's like to do the job so many of us wish would never have to be done in the first place. You will really feel like you're in the helicopter and that you're making Ed Macy's decisions for him. It's surreal to be that immersed and absorbed in another world. In fact, so bizarre I found my heart racing and often worried if I would make it out alive - 'IT'S JUST A BOOK' for Christ's sake! Whether you're for or against the armed forces, or the war in Afghanistan, or of a need to fight instead of talking, you will have no doubt after you finish Apache that this is simply a book about what our young men and women have to put up with everyday. Rightly or wrongly, they're our children getting paid to do a job, that's all. If there's one thing I've learned (and I learned a lot reading Apache) it's that our troops are compassionate and care for the Afghans. There is no macho attitude or killing spree going on. The Apaches are governed by very strict rules when it comes to shooting and the pilots always think about the effect they will have - often choosing not to shoot rather than risk hitting a house (just in case there's someone at home in the warzone/greenzone!)
Afterwards I felt like I could fly an Apache but then I pinched myself and decided to stick to cakes. It's a real rollercoaster of a ride so don't say I didn't warn you.
Kitchen Diva

PS. I'm new to reviewing so I hope I haven't gone on too much. Oh, have a box of tissues ready when they go into the fort (men included) and don't put a cake in the oven....
77 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2010
Since getting this book, i couldn't put it down, only having to release it once i'd got to work! For the first and only time, i hoped the train or tube would break down. The details, the feelings conveyed, it was a stunning piece of writing from first hand accounts. Ed puts you in his head, in the Apache, in the action, you imagine yourself sitting in the front seat trying to find, lock & destroy the target, then suddenly your in the rear seat, protecting your front seater whilst trying to avoid being shoot down. Highs, lows, emotions a plenty!!!

To anyone who loves military books that aren't fiction and wants to know how it feels to be there, without having to struggle and put there body onthe line... LOOK HERE!!!

The men & women out there are the best!!!
on 8 June 2011
I literally 'LOVED' this book. From start to finish it was easy to read, I couldnt put it down and finished it in a day (i had nothing else planned and even if i did, i would have taken it with me). If you like Andy McNab's factual books, and you like reading or learning about the forces from a behind the scenes perspective....get this book. Every person I know who has read this book sings its praises. I would have loved this as a present as opposed to some of the other books i get ! ;)
on 11 February 2013
I have just finished reading this book and found it an eye opening account of what it is like to be an Apache pilot. These guys are very special and I now have a new found respect for those who fly them. Forget the b......t written in the press about Prince Harry, to become a pilot on one of these things he must be one gifted dude with skills most people cannot imagine.
The technical aspects of the Apache are truly amazing, particularly its ability to let the pilots have such an incredible vision of what is going on on the ground and its immense strength and firepower. This extraordinary surveillance ability also applies to all the other aircraft mentioned in the book, I never realised that they have the ability to see so much, even in darkness. I also never realised how accurately they can programme their ordinance.
The final chapters of the book dealing with the rescue attempt for the fallen Royal Marine commando held me spellbound,forget James Bond, this is real life in the raw, I was terrified just sitting on my sofa!
I now have two suggestions,one, make this book into a film,secondly, translate it into whatever language the Taliban speak and distribute it to them freely. If that does not deter them nothing will.
Having only retired from the British Army in Jan 2008 the author has already produced this awesome book. I'm not going to review the "plot" as that information is readily available elsewhere on this page. The book is a totally unputdownable true story, focusing on the rescue of a captured lone marine. You are put into the heart of the action, feel the adrenaline and what must have been terror at what really goes on out there. definatley an eye-opener in terms of giving you a taste of life on this particualr front line, and not the carefully edited version we are all fed by the BBC and Sky news....

Illustrated with detailed diagrams and a good selection of photographs I finished this book the same day - which I hate doing as I always feel I haven't had my money's worth !! But without a doubt - it will be being read again....

I really can't recommend this book highly enough. If you want a damned good thrilling factual read then this is for you.
1212 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2010
I bought this book on a whim and boy, was I glad I did! I literally couldn't put it down and finished it in 48 hours. Ed Macy pitches the prose at just the right level. Not too techy and full of acronyms to put off the casual reader, whilst still giving the avid military book fan the right amount of info. I was hooked from the first page. A real 'boys own' adventure featuring hi-tech weaponry, heroism in buckets and real tear jerking tragedy. An awesome read. Highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 December 2009
This isn't at all the sort of book I would normally read but a couple of male friends forced it on me - and I'm glad they did. As a `mere female' I had no idea what an Apache is and some of the technical descriptions were completely lost on me I'm afraid. But as a story of exceptional human bravery and courage, this really is an outstanding read.

The author comes over a a genuinely likeable guy, and his first-hand description of the rescue of a wounded marine is palpitatingly real. Whatever the politics of the war - or any war - this is a stark and timely reminder of the very human face of combat, both the cost and the incredible commitment and courage involved. Ultimately this is a powerful read, simultaneously affecting and sobering shot through with a dark humour. Recommended.
on 3 February 2013
I already have this book in hardback form However, it's well worth reading several times and in a more mobile format.

I read 'sniper one' first, left in a holiday apartment for guests to read; that blew me away, I was there for 4 weeks and read it twice! That was my introduction to this type of book.

I've read many others since (all that I can find at a decent price in fact).

A good few stand out from the crowd, and this book by Ed Macy is amongst the very best.

It would do everyone good to know how skilled and brave the Apache pilots are, and how dangerous these wars are for them and the other brave soldiers doing the fighting.

Also, how costly the weaponry is and how it works (or doesn't) - which Mr. Macy explains so well.

The cost of these wars and the equipment is phenominal. Without these costs, countries could afford everything that would make life worth living for the ordinary person, food, education, housing, hospitals and medical care, etc, etc.

What is amazing is that no matter how good the pilot (or soldier) most of the costly ammunition is wasted (i.e. it misses the mark). I couldn't imagine what skill it took to fly an Apache. I couldn't imagine the weaponry that the Apache can be armed with. I couldn't imagine how deadly the hellfire missiles that it fires - or how antiquated and unreliable, - the guidance wires that remain attached to the missile and the chopper till the missile hits (or misses it's target). And the amount of 'duds' there are - at massive cost of each missile. Or the fact that the hellfire missiles have a 'use by' date!!!

Sorry, just scratching the surface of what everyone should know about weaponry costs. But the greater story is the skill of the pilots and the soldiers, plus the desperate battles they endure.

Fantastic book, fantastic heroes, (every one). Shame it's necessary.

AA great read, an awesome education in valour, skill and the cost of war. (In lives and finance).
on 14 May 2010
As an ex Navy guy, I found the whole content of this book enthralling once started difficult to put down. we put the troops ashore and here is a guy writing about what they have to go through, bought another copy and had it sent to my son in England. couldn't send him mine!!!
on 3 April 2013
Apache by Ed Marcy is indeed a good factual read. I have also recently read Apache:Riding the Dragon by Scott Kemp which like Mr Marcy's book is about an Apache operating out of Camp Bastion in Afghanistan. That is where the books then part as Mr Marcy's Apache is focused entirely on the facts of the Apache and his time in Afghanistan. Scott Kemp's book although hit by the 'Vontrolls' is more action based fiction with facts blended in, and looks at the Afghan war as a whole rather than just the Apache. Both worth a read but need to be viewed as a different take on the Apache .