on 9 June 2013
Although I have seen a few of the classic films, I had never read a Western story before this and so I didn't really know what to expect when this was recommended to me. I can't speak for the genre as a whole but Apache Country was engaging, nicely written and easy to follow. I'd recommend it for both a novice and a Western story fan. All the characters were multi-faceted and given their time of glory throughout the story, which makes you feel connected to them. Definitely a book to take a chance on.
You don’t choose a western for high literary style, but for an exciting story that doesn’t push the bounds of credulity too far and keeps the reader’s interest and involvement right to the last page. And this novel by Christopher Kenworthy does just that. It’s well-paced, well-crafted, full of authentic detail and includes all the western genre tropes – the unforgiving desert, the search for water, families in peril, savage but clever Indians and a good man to battle the bad men. What’s not to like? The plot is fairly straightforward. Murphy is a part-time army scout who is charged to gather the scattered Arizona settlers into the local forts against a threat from the Apache. This turns out to be far more complicated and dangerous than he envisaged, and the adventure commences. I do have one or two quibbles, however. The 2 children of the family seem to change their names half way through, and the ending is very abrupt – not an unexpected one but a bit of a build-up would have been welcome nonetheless. However overall this is a good solid western and I enjoyed it very much.
on 22 March 2016
A very enjoyable Western. This story grabbed me right from the start, with the main character Murphy just riding along, and he has an Apache Indian hunting him down. He also has to bury a family he knows, who have died trying to protect their farm from the Indians. This for me sums up what I imagine the Wild West was like. Harsh lands, water hard to find, and trying to stay alive. If I was one of the Arizona Settlers, I’d want a man like Murphy bringing my family to the safety of the Fort. You definitely don’t want a tribe of Apache’s chasing you down. There is plenty of action and adventure in this story. Christopher Kenworthy has really done a great job, and I’d certainly recommend this book.
on 9 January 2014
A good read, I decided to try this author as I enjoy westerns and this one didn't let me down it picks up pace straight away and has a good plot. Recommended
on 21 December 2013
For a guy mad on anything to do with westerns I had never read a book on the subject, wasn't to sure if it would be any good or not, this particular book had a good storyline and was entertaining, still prefer to watch the film though, worth a read.
on 12 October 2013
What a pleasant surprised to stumble upon this author. I started of reading his historic naval novels before even realising that he writes westerns too. I'm a huge Louis L'Amour fan, and this is definitely the nearest alternative I've found!
on 16 April 2016
If you like your Westerns gritty and atmospheric, this is the book for you. Well written with great characters and I could feel the desert heat oozing from the pages. Many thanks to Georgina for the copy. I loved it!
on 10 August 2014
Another good story by this author unfortunately let down by the very weak ending hence only 4 Stars. It is very similar in style to his sea stories. Plenty of action and gory detail.Try it!
on 13 December 2013
Not a bad story quite a good western, it was a typical western. I am not a western reader normaly
on 31 July 2013
then a while ago tried a couple. Very mediocre and didn't bother again for a while. Decided to give this a try.
That is more like it. Westerns as they should be.