Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Dead Space (PS3) forum

Anyone think this is a doom 3 clone?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Oct 2008 17:53:15 GMT
Rimmer72 says:
Bought this at the weekend after umming and ahing about wether to go for another FPS (far cry) or horror. Feeling like I made a mistake. This just seems like doom 3 in 3rd person. I loved doom 3 but this seems no further forward. I saw it all coming and it wasnt remotely scary. I find gore does not equal fear since the atmosphere wasnt there. Went to a lot of trouble as well to get ps3 version since I thought if the atmosphere was important I didnt want my 360's fans taking anything away from it from sounding like I was sitting next to a jet turbine. After FEAR and Doom 3 this just seems like a very good clone

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2008 23:10:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2008 23:35:04 GMT
P. Maurice says:
Simon, I agree with you. Bought the Ps3 version for the same distracting reason but suffered freezing so may put up with 360's hoover impression. I too was expecting that I would lovingly be too afraid to play it but to my disappointment, I think the scary hype was a ploy for catching you off guard so the NHS could profit from arthritic shouldered gamers in later life. Despite the missing chill factor, It's unrivaled for atmosphere and presentation. Doom 3 similarities would've been spiced up if trapped demon mutants leaped out from terminals as you reluctantly approach them then the clone factor wouldn't have been so much of an understatement . I'm sure over time you'll love it for what it is. Still, I'm sure there's hope in Aliens: Colonial Marines too.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2008 00:18:23 GMT
The Riddler says:
Yes but it is still dead good I thought it copied many games but like Halo it did it very well

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2009 00:07:05 GMT
Haven't actually played Doom 3, so I can't compare. Loving it so far and have had some very scared moments. Reminds of all those years ago when I first played Resident Evil.......

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2009 00:18:15 GMT
I found myself thinking of Doom 3 a lot whilst playing this game too. But that's a good thing. Apart from Doom 3 there hasn't really been a space horror game that has put me on edge as much as Dead Space did. I say the Doom 3 similarity is a good thing. This game was a totally pleasant surprise for me.

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 11:55:04 BDT
S. U. Larsen says:
A surprise for me too. And the similarity is a good thing. It is "Doom 3" done differently.
Graphics are some of the best I have ever seen ...right down to the dust and fog floating in the air. The more I play the game, the more details I become aware of. The PC version is said be even more detailed.

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 20:18:23 BDT
It's definitely not a Doom clone. Both games just happen to share a common influence in the System Shock games which were famous for their space setting and use of audio diaries etc. I think Dead Space is the better game, particularly because of the dismemberment system and better story.

Posted on 11 Nov 2009 17:56:15 GMT
Hillsy says:
No, because Doom 3 was rubbish and Dead Space is great. Doom 3 had hopeless shooting mechanics whilst Dead Space has excellent ones. I could go on, but I won't. System Shock 2 was great too, as was Bioshock.

Posted on 26 Jun 2010 04:18:44 BDT
Crom says:
Pretty funny that someone makes reference to Aliens: Colonial Marines here and yet we're still waiting for its release!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2011 10:01:04 BDT
S. U. Larsen says:
To be fair, the commenter wrote that "I'm sure there's hope in Aliens: Colonial Marines too" expressing little more than expectations for the genre.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dead Space (PS3) forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  29 Oct 2008
Latest post:  15 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Space (PS3)
Dead Space (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
4.6 out of 5 stars (171)