Customer Discussions > Dead Space (PS3) forum

Anyone think this is a doom 3 clone?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Oct 2008 17:53:15 GMT
Rimmer72 says:
Bought this at the weekend after umming and ahing about wether to go for another FPS (far cry) or horror. Feeling like I made a mistake. This just seems like doom 3 in 3rd person. I loved doom 3 but this seems no further forward. I saw it all coming and it wasnt remotely scary. I find gore does not equal fear since the atmosphere wasnt there. Went to a lot of trouble as well to get ps3 version since I thought if the atmosphere was important I didnt want my 360's fans taking anything away from it from sounding like I was sitting next to a jet turbine. After FEAR and Doom 3 this just seems like a very good clone

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2008 23:10:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2008 23:35:04 GMT
P. Maurice says:
Simon, I agree with you. Bought the Ps3 version for the same distracting reason but suffered freezing so may put up with 360's hoover impression. I too was expecting that I would lovingly be too afraid to play it but to my disappointment, I think the scary hype was a ploy for catching you off guard so the NHS could profit from arthritic shouldered gamers in later life. Despite the missing chill factor, It's unrivaled for atmosphere and presentation. Doom 3 similarities would've been spiced up if trapped demon mutants leaped out from terminals as you reluctantly approach them then the clone factor wouldn't have been so much of an understatement . I'm sure over time you'll love it for what it is. Still, I'm sure there's hope in Aliens: Colonial Marines too.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2008 00:18:23 GMT
The Riddler says:
Yes but it is still dead good I thought it copied many games but like Halo it did it very well

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2009 00:07:05 GMT
Haven't actually played Doom 3, so I can't compare. Loving it so far and have had some very scared moments. Reminds of all those years ago when I first played Resident Evil.......

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2009 00:18:15 GMT
I found myself thinking of Doom 3 a lot whilst playing this game too. But that's a good thing. Apart from Doom 3 there hasn't really been a space horror game that has put me on edge as much as Dead Space did. I say the Doom 3 similarity is a good thing. This game was a totally pleasant surprise for me.

Posted on 30 Sep 2009 11:55:04 BDT
S. U. Larsen says:
A surprise for me too. And the similarity is a good thing. It is "Doom 3" done differently.
Graphics are some of the best I have ever seen ...right down to the dust and fog floating in the air. The more I play the game, the more details I become aware of. The PC version is said be even more detailed.

Posted on 2 Oct 2009 20:18:23 BDT
Neil Gilmore says:
It's definitely not a Doom clone. Both games just happen to share a common influence in the System Shock games which were famous for their space setting and use of audio diaries etc. I think Dead Space is the better game, particularly because of the dismemberment system and better story.

Posted on 11 Nov 2009 17:56:15 GMT
Hillsy says:
No, because Doom 3 was rubbish and Dead Space is great. Doom 3 had hopeless shooting mechanics whilst Dead Space has excellent ones. I could go on, but I won't. System Shock 2 was great too, as was Bioshock.

Posted on 26 Jun 2010 04:18:44 BDT
Crom says:
Pretty funny that someone makes reference to Aliens: Colonial Marines here and yet we're still waiting for its release!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2011 10:01:04 BDT
S. U. Larsen says:
To be fair, the commenter wrote that "I'm sure there's hope in Aliens: Colonial Marines too" expressing little more than expectations for the genre.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Dead Space (PS3) forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  29 Oct 2008
Latest post:  15 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dead Space (PS3)
Dead Space (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (161)