Customer Discussions > Alice: Madness Returns (PC DVD) forum

Anyone else here still playing the ORIGINAL Alice?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Apr 2011 19:37:18 BDT
J. Scott says:
American McGee's Alice is one of my all-time favourite games, partly because of the general surrealness of it all, partly because of the wonderful music (I used to leave the game running just to listen to the music, until I found that the soundtrack was available on CD - which I instantly bought).

I still put the game on and play it through again, once in a while.

I'm hoping the new incarnation will be great, while sort of expecting it to be a disappointment... But I'll be buying it regardless, just to catch up with mad Alice.

Anybody else here still love the original?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 08:06:53 BDT
C. Greig says:
Yes it's one of then few games I've played through more than once.

I thoroughly agree with you about the soundtrack (although when I first play it , the music creeped me out so much I wouldn't play the game with the lights out) the look and feel of the game was (and I think still is) second to none.

I'm currently going through it again in preparation for 'Madness Returns' but I think it will have a LOT to live up to

Posted on 7 May 2011 18:52:36 BDT
J. Scott says:
Yes, I'm playing through the original again too. I think the graphics are the only thing that date it. And even by today's standard, they're not THAT bad. I'm guessing that the new one will be excellent in the graphics department, but maybe not so great in other areas.

Oh well - time will tell!

Posted on 15 May 2011 08:32:55 BDT
jon_hill987 says:
Sadly my disk broke when my CD drive (no DVD back then) burnt out. Loved the game though.

Posted on 15 May 2011 09:56:28 BDT
J. Scott says:
>>Sadly my disk broke<<

I actually lost my original during a house-move, but I picked up another on Ebay - the game is still selling there almost every day, sometimes at very low prices (and sometimes at ridiculously HIGH prices!)

Posted on 18 Jun 2011 11:52:30 BDT
Butch says:
Does anyone know if the original runs on windows 7?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2011 12:29:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2011 12:30:52 BDT
J. Scott says:
Yep - I play it on Windows 7, 64-bit, and if it runs on THAT it should run on anything!
(I just got the new version this morning - can't wait to try it out, but I'm trying to steel myself against disappointment!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2011 13:35:11 BDT
NeuroSplicer says:
The original was an unforgettable game!
I now regret never completing it (so many games, so little time...).

I wanted to try the new Alice game but the DRM put me off. It took STEAM more than a couple of years before it became workable. I am not so sure that EA's ORIGIN (a dressed up DOWNLOAD MANAGER) ever will...

Anyway, this thread made me pull the original game from my game library - and I am installing it as I am typing this.

Posted on 22 Jun 2011 13:37:35 BDT
J. Scott says:
NeuroSplicer... I hear you about the DRM. It's really disgusting in the PC version of the game. There's no excuse for games that will only run if the internet connection is active.

(I'm ashamed to admit that I bought it anyway, because I wanted a PC version to add to my (huge) collection of Alice-related stuff. I've actually been playing a rented version on the PS3)

If you still want to play the original, it frequently turns up on Ebay - I got one for about 99p a while ago. It's also possible to download a 'fix' that means you can play it without needing the CD in the drive.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xab0bbb4c)

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  7 Apr 2011
Latest post:  22 Jun 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Alice: Madness Returns (PC DVD)
Alice: Madness Returns (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (50)