I don't usually write reviews, but this book has really made a difference to me. I have been trying to shift my "excess stone" for about 7 years now, since having my children and despite exercising hard 5 times a week, my weight simply would not budge. I have tried Anna's "5-rule" diet for 3 weeks and have now lost around half a stone. I haven't stuck to it religiously, but have followed the rules 80% of the time and intend to stick with it until I lose another half stone at least.
The rules are very simple and very clever because if you stick to them, it is actually very difficult to over-eat. Anna doesn't state a calorie allowance, so I have been counting everything and trying to stay under 1400 calories per day. It's also nice, because unlike most other "detox" type diets, you can still have caffeine. When I am dieting, I need my coffee and diet cokes to help me through !
I would argue that Anna has 6 rules, as she also states "no potatoes", but the main 5 are:-
1. No wheat - and also no gluten free alternatives. This isn't as bad as you would think as you can have rice, rye bread, ryvita etc
2. No dairy - you can still have 1/2 pint of milk per day for tea and coffee, so this isn't difficult. I occasionally miss yogurt or cheese, but overall it's fine.
3. No sugar - luckily I don't have a sweet tooth so this has also been easy
4. No alcohol - this one has been the hardest as I love a glass of wine at the weekends !
5. No carbs after 6 - I expected this one to be the hardest as I love a nice big bowl of pasta for dinner. Also, my husband is training for a marathon so he needs his carbs. Surprisingly, I have quite enjoyed having bolognaise with say, broccoli whilst my husband has it with pasta etc. And I do feel so much lighter and less sluggish the following morning.
The recipes are absolutely delicious, especially the chicken and mushroom risotto. It's a great book, thanks Anna.