Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 August 2011
A beautifully produced book with 191 pages and most of them covered with Angie Lewin's fabulous prints and illustrations. This book is exceptionally good value for money, it is the next best thing to owning the original prints. A lovely 'coffee table' book.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 May 2011
I first came across Angie Lewin's work when I returned to College to do an art course. As part of the printmaking sessions we were asked to source a printmaker and discuss their work. I chose Angie because I love her prints of flowers and plants. Her ability to simplify plants to their bare essentials and still be instantly recognisable is endearing. This is a beautifully produced book that catalogues and does justice to Angie's work. The 80 plus designs are an inspiration to printmakers and textile artists alike. It is also a record of Angie's travels - the places she took inspiration from. Her distinctive prints that capture the essence and structure of plants have been inspired by windswept shores, clifftops, salt marshes, roadsides and in her own Norfolk garden. She talks about her influences. The book is well illustrated not only with Angie's prints but also with photographs of plants and sketches from her sketchbooks. Her wood engravings or linocuts adorn journals and textiles. She also works in lithography and screenprinting. The text gives an insight to how Angie works. Some of my favourite prints are the Clifftop, Alliums and Fennel, Dandelion, Teasels and Winter Spey prints. The book is divided into sections that reflect Angie's work: Coast, Woodland and Hedgerow, River and Loch, Meadow and Garden and finally Studio. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys contemporary prints. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.
on 8 December 2010
A lovely book, full of colour, presenting Angie Lewin's unique style. As an inspiration to an aspiring artist, the initial pencil and wash studies and then the final product - print, woodblock, textile or pottery - are full of life and movement. I can't stop leafing through it. Something for those interested in nature and in art and painting.
on 22 November 2010
This book about Angie Lewin is even better than I expected. Packed full of her beautiful prints and explanations about her working practice.Worth every penny of the money particularly for those of us who can't afford her prints.
on 5 January 2011
the book is a catalogue of images of the works of the talented Angie Lewin. Nothing wrong or disappointing, but I remained with the curiosity of knowing a little bit more of the artist: pictures of her working area, more detailed 'work-in-progress',personal ways of working, preferred materials...all the individual part of this artist is barely touched, and it is a pity.
review image review image review image
on 10 March 2011
In austere times, it seems appropriate that an artist like Angie Lewin should be so popular. Her work resonates with all the economy and values of mid century modern; a winning combination of nostalgia and design-savvy. Her palette may be necessarily limited, but the way she recycles the commonplace and overlooked is always evolving and inventive.

And if you like the greetings cards, you'll love the book. It's bigger for a start. It's also a properly pleasurable thing - nice paper, nice typography and design, nice printing. Machine age values strangely at odds with the craftiness of the prints themselves, but great creative tension.

Like others, I do wish it told me more about Lewin and the nuts and bolts of her creativity, but it's still a wonderful guilty pleasure to have this on the coffee table; a work of art for less than twenty quid, an absolute bargain. No regrets.
on 16 August 2011
I spotted Angie Lewin's cards in a gallery a few years ago and always buy them when I see them, so I was thrilled to find this book. I love the sketches and workings as well as the finished prints, and although it's a "coffee table" book I read it from cover to cover straight away. Her perspective on ordinary plants is so inspiring that I found myself looking at a patch of weeds by the side of a roundabout in a whole new way the other day!
on 28 October 2011
Having fallen for the designs on Angie Lewin cards and studying printing in textiles, I couldn't resist buying this book......and I wasn't disappointed. She has a distinctive style which comes from detailed observation and a passion for what she does. The quality of the prints in this book is excellent; they can be enjoyed in isolation or along side the text which gives an insight into how Angie Lewin works. It is one of those books that will never disappoint however often you browse it.
on 13 January 2013
My darling sister-in-law asked me what I wanted for Christmas and since I knew my hints to my husband had fallen on deaf ears this was what I asked for. I find Angie Lewin's work fascinating. The way she can take complex forms and simplify them is mind-blowing - to me. I did a woodblock course last year for 5 days and long to try working on natural forms. There can't be a printmaker, (whose work I've found), to beat what I've seen in my book. This is a book I shall turn to again and again for inspiration. I've no wish to replicate what AL has done; but to learn from a master and to 'bounce' off her work whenever I am particularly stuck. Perhaps one day there will be a book purely about AL's processes and methodology, (I'll be first in the queue to buy it), but for the meantime I couldn't be happier about owning this wonderful book.
on 6 May 2011
As an aspiring printmaker found Plants and Places an absolute delight Beautifully illustrated and an insight into a working artists process. I had to buy another for a friend. All printmakers/designers should have a copy. Highly recommend it