on 22 March 2010
The plot grabs you on the very first page and twists and turns to the very end. 2010 is the year of the Angels apparently as 2009 was the year of the Vampires with Twilight leading the way. I found the mythology of Angels that Danielle Trussoni weaves throughout the story completely fascinating and entirely believable. The author's theological research carries the book and I found myself wanting to know more and more.
The characters in the book are quite complex as they each have many secrets to hide. I loved the descriptions of the Nephilim who are both beautiful and utterly terrifying at the same time.
Angelology is a fast paced thriller that keeps you guessing to the very last page. Foreign rights have already been bought in 31 major territories and Sony are already in discussion about a feature film. I think that Angelology will be the book that many people are talking about in 2010 and I think that it more than deserves it.
on 29 April 2010
Angelology takes place in a world where angels walk among us. Their wings are tied flat beneath their clothing so you have no way of knowing who they are, but these angels have been breeding with humans to create dangerous hybrids called Nephilims. Unlike the immortal angels these nephilims are dying and so are trying to do everything within their power to get hold of the angelogogist's research in the hope it will reveal a cure for their disease.

Angelology is a fast paced thriller, which I'd describe as a well written hybrid of The Da Vinci Code,The Historianand Twilight (Twilight Saga) - so if you enjoyed these three books then you are bound to love this one.

I loved the atmospheric descriptions:

"The angelologists examined the body. It was intact, without decay, the skin as smooth and as white as parchment. The lifeless aquamarine eyes gazed heavenward. Pale curls fell against a high forehead and sculptural shoulders, forming a halo of golden hair. Even the robes-the cloth woven of a white shimmering metallic material that none of them could identify exactly-remained pristine, as if the creature had died in a hospital room in Paris and not a cavern deep below the earth."

This initial scene setting was quite slow, but the pace soon sped up. I enjoyed the beginning, but about 100 pages in I began to lose interest. The plot was convoluted, meandering and never reached any real conclusion. There was a lot of history added to the book, but as most of it was made up this didn't hold the same appeal as other pieces of historical fiction.

The central character in the book is a young nun called Evangeline, but she never really engaged me. I felt as though I was carried along by the fast flow of the words, rather than any real desire to know what happened.

The book is being made into a film by Sony and I am sure that this will be a much better medium for the story - especially once the plot has been condensed into a two hour time slot!

The lack of a fully resolved ending means that I'm sure there will be a sequel, but I'm in no rush to read it - I am happy to wait until its inevitable DVD release!

Overall I found it to be a fast paced, inventive book, but I just didn't care what those fictional angel-hybrids were doing.
This was a title that I was sent due to reading a number of titles with similar themes previously. Yet unlike a lot of the current Urban Fantasy titles out there this one is more Dan Brown than any other UF author.

It follows certain conventions popular within the genre with an underlying love story but with numerous fresh innovative touches that keep this title not only novel but fresh. Its cracking, its new but above all it's a title that will more than likely win Danielle a large number of fans as this mysterious offering seeks to make its mark.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2010
I had no idea what to expect when I began this. I'd never heard of Angelology and worried it was going to be another urban fantasy filled with clichéd handsome heroic angels, or worse, like the numerous teen novels out right now about angels. Thankfully it was like neither. Yes it's paranormal, but it's more... contemporary para. Felt a little like Dan Brown, someone else said The Historian (but I've not read that yet so don't know). It has a historical feel to it while being mainly set in the present. It felt like a realistic telling of angels, one that had me hooked.

The story begins in the present (give or take a few years) with our main female lead, Evangeline. I have to confess, the beginning did not grab me. I worried it would continue in this dull manner but thankfully soon picked up when we are introduced to the human researcher Verlaine, and then the ancient nephilim Percival Grigori. As the story starts to unfold it gets more and more exciting. As Evangeline gets sucked further and further into the mystery she learns that there is more to her life - and the people around her - than she ever knew. She learns of the secret study of Angelology.
We then get taken back to WW2 and follow another character as we see how the events of her lifetime lead to the present day happenings. By the time we return to the present the adventure is heating up and becoming more thrilling by the page. I could not put it down near the end.

If angels are the new vampires, this novel is a strong leader. It is clear Trussoni did her research as it is such an involved and complex story, thoroughly worth the read. I would definitely recommend it. I'm glad I had the opportunity to read it as it might not have been one I chose for myself. I learned a lot reading this and enjoyed myself immensely.
on 6 June 2010
On the front cover of this book Kate Mosse describes it as being a fast paced thriller, well if this is what ms Mosse considers fast paced then she must find watching paint dry absolutely riveting I kept reading thinking that it would get better, I was mistaken, the end (if you can call it that) obviously leaves it open for a sequel (god help us). The idea was wonderful but the author to my mind got so bogged down on the academic that she seemed to loose the plot.I read fiction because I want a bit of escapism, I want to get transported to other times and places, I want to feel invested in the characters and believe in whatever their cause is. If I had wanted to learn about the history and mythology of angels in such detail I would have hunted down an academic book I felt no connection to the characters as they were totally one dimensional and the locations had no atmosphere, the climax that the whole book had been leading up to was over before you realised it had started. I think Ms Trussoni is trying to tap into the Dan Brown mix of historical fact, mythology,fiction and code breaking, ending in a rush to put all the pieces together and triumph over evil, sorry love it just doesn't cut it, better luck next time.
55 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2011
This book is terrible, and I regret wasting part of my 23kg luggage allowance on it and the 8 hours of my life I will never get back. Moreover I will not waste a further 30 minutes of my life writing a comprehensive critique of it. The character development is poor, the pace glacial and the plotting formulaic. It also scares me that many people reading this will believe that angels really exist, with the author giving them a pseudoscientific veneer. Avoid.
on 18 July 2010
Wow! That was one of the worst books I have ever read. A romantic sub-plot which is abandoned before it starts. Dramatic set-pieces so badly written that they are beyond beyond-belief. An info-dump one third of the way into the book, which totally derails the plot. And an ending which ranks amongst the poorest ever written.

Do not waste your time on this bloated pile of tripe. Makes Dan Brown look look like Voltaire.
on 12 June 2011
I thought I would really enjoy this book. I thought Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons were a lot of fun, and I loved The Historian. I also enjoy books and films about angels. I think this was the only reason I made myself plough through this to the end.
Seriously, this book is really not good. To be fair to the author, she is pretty good at descriptive prose, and some of the descriptive passages are lovely. Also, the idea of the Nephilim being a sort of shadowy elite manipulating the human race for their own gain is cool. Or at least, it could be cool, possibly if someone else had come up with the idea.

There is a tiny little plot which rarely makes a lot of sense. The characters are nicely described but we are given very little insight into their thoughts or motivations. The most important information we are given about the Verlaine character is that he wears odd clothes and smokes cigarettes. Oh and he likes art. And coffee. He falls in love with Evangeline (the main character) about a nanosecond after meeting her, for no more obvious reason than she's pretty hot for a nun. And is repelled by her just as quickly after the plot-twist-that-was-obvious-about-halfway-through-the-book. If there is supposed to be some sort of deeper spiritual connection causing this extreme emotional upheaval, we're never given any idea about what it is.

And a magic french resistance nun? Dude. Tall, beautiful, angelic hybrids with superhuman strength, huge amounts of money and the ability to command legions of warrior/monsters who like cocktail parties, whine about their wings and screw up everything they try and do? Dude. Guardians of the object everyone spends the whole of the book searching for who have supposedly stayed in the same place for 30 odd years just waiting for the angelologists to come and pick it up, and who then blithely issue the directions to Evangeline and various others without even asking them any relevant questions? 'I've been waiting for you. Even though I don't know who you actually are.' Dude. The fact that Perceval Grigori, who is supposed to be one of the prime movers and shakers of the whole 'Nasty Bad Nephilim' thing and who is, we are painstakingly informed, a Bad Man who has done Many Evil Things, is so dumb that he doesn't realise that you have to LOCK YOUR CAR DOORS when you kidnap someone. Duuuuude.

And don't get me started on the ending. I understand this is a trilogy. If I found the next book lying in the street I might pick it up and read it. But I might just throw it away. I certainly wouldn't spend money on it.
on 16 January 2016
The novel begins with Evangeline, a nun of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration at St Rose Convent in New York, and a very detailed description of her life and functions within the convent. Although this initial aspect of the story is somewhat necessary to the understanding of the events that unfold as the novel progresses, it is a tad tedious to read, although this is the first meeting between Evangeline and the mysterious, but very naive Verlaine, who eventually becomes of some significance to the happenings in the book.

Although, as I have admitted, this part of the story is somewhat tedious, I implore you to continue to read, even if, as I did, it is little and often. As the novel progresses, and the communications are uncovered, it becomes obvious that they are of particular significance, although quite why does take some time to be discovered.

Enter Percival Grigori, deceitful, ailing heir to one of the most powerful Nephilim families in the world, and intricately entwined with a number of central characters in the story, including, in a painful twist, Evangeline herself.

As the story unfolds, thorough the memories of Evangeline, Sister Celestine and Percival Grigori, the pace of the novel picks up considerably. The accounts of the centuries of work carried out by the Society of Angelologists to protect the world from the corruption of the Nephilim, whose ultimate goal is the creation of a 'superior race' are beautifully detailed and draw the reader into a new and fascinating world where Angels and humans battle to decide the fate of the world.

Ultimately Trussoni presents a truly unique blend of biblical lore, modern mythology and fiction, resulting in an engaging if somewhat far-fetched imagining of a world where humans and angels co-exist.

Despite the slow start, I found Angelology to be an enjoyable read, although not a novel I will be re-visiting.
on 15 March 2015
As a Spiritualist I was intrigued by the concept of this book. Some of the theories behind it are acceptable whilst others are clearly authors imagination.
It's fast paced but a slow read in places so be prepared to feel bored by it but then suddenly carried along. Ending was disappointing as by then having hauled your way through the ups and downs, you feel like you deserve something more- suppose that's why it's the beginning of a series.
To be honest, don't think I can find the energy at the moment to read on to the next.
Sort of thing that would make a great all expense out movie which will leave you wanting more for the next film- bit Twilight like in that sense.

If it's angels and their existence that you are interested in- please find factual reads and not this.