on 3 June 2013
Why did I give this Item 5 stars:
1. Ease of use
2. Looks well and appears to be very well made.
3. Most importantly does what it is supposed to do without any problems or issues.
4. Plain & Simple nothing fancy so I highly recommend this product.
on 15 September 2014
LOVE this slow cooker. I has a brilliant one passed down from my Mother but it had lost the internal cover stuff (from the 1970's). I got a present of a Morphy Richards for my wedding and it wasn't good so I bought this one on the basis of the reviews. I always look to Amazon when buying items like this as I really value other people's views and experience. I came across "Andrew James" as a brand when looking for a juicer (again on Amazon) and loved the juicer so looked specifically for this brand. I was not disappointed! I was lucky enough to get this on sale for £14.95STG which I thought was a mis-print. I paid over £25 to have it delivered but it arrived two days later to Ireland via courier.
It's a good size, easy to use and works better than the Morphy Richards which no doubt cost about three times the price! One reviewer mentioned about watching out for the "dot" on the control and I would agree as it's not always easy to see where the "dot" which is the guide for the control, is pointing.
I like the "auto" feature where it cooks for you on high and switches to low so ideal if you're out all day and need the casserole ready when you come home.
I've made three GORGEOUS casseroles, so far. Two from "The Skinny Slow Cooker Cookbook" which was a bargain book and has some beautiful recipes in it, I made the "Cowboy Casserole" and the "Lentil Dahl" and also my own concoction of a chicken casserole. All cooked to perfection and went down a treat with the family.
Apparently this brand is an offshoot of Breville (a sales person in Harvey Norman told me) hence the great quality but at a fraction of the price.
Buy it you'll love it. Perfect now that Autumn has arrived , easy to get healthy home cooked food done with little or no hassle, and the Skinny Slow Cooker Cookbook is an ideal companion if you're looking for good ideas (it works well for Slimming World followers too).
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2014
Great value slow cooker, unlike some cheap cookers the lid does not rattle, its totally silent which is a nice change from my last bone shaking slow cooker. The only thing I would like to see on this is a warm setting, however I did know it didn't have this function when I bought it so its more of a wish than a criticism, but for the price I am more than happy. Others have reported problems seeing the dimple in the selector knob to know which setting it is on, I have not found this to be a problem at all it is clear enough for my less than perfect eyesight. Good size for a couple or small family, big enough to batch cook and small enough not to take over your work surface. Have used several times and everything comes out just exactly how I expected. it is warm on the outside when on, no different to any other slow cooker I have owned, unless the description says so it shouldn't be expected to be cool touch which I think many people think they will get with slow cookers. But for me....Happy days!
NOTE: I was contacted directly and was sent this product for free. I was asked to use it fully and to write an honest, unbiased review. My being given a free item in no way influenced my review of this product.

I’ve used slow cookers since I moved out of my parents and into my first home. If there is one thing every kitchen needs in my opinion, its a slow cooker. They are so versatile! and this particular model from Andrew James is simply wonderful. I have to admit to already owning several slow cookers - a Hinari model which is small and which I used for soups and a large American Crock Pot.

I like my slow cookers to look good and have the functionality to make my life easier. I am sad to say that I have moved my Hinari model into the shed - wrapped in protective plastic and stuffed inside the Andrew James box this superb model arrived in, as this is better! And it looks great, the simplicity and style of the black/chrome look really works in my kitchen and I imagine would look great in yours too.

But this slow cooker has a feature NONE of my other slow cookers had and for that I am rather pleased. I like it when a product improves as it moves through the ages and gets better and better. The feature I talk of is the ‘Auto’ setting. The Auto setting enables you to load your slow cooker with a frozen item and it starts off the cooking process on HIGH and upon reaching the desired temperature (meaning the food is thawed) it automatically reverts to low for longer, slower cooking.

This feature means you can load your inner ceramic pot with vegetables, frozen mince, stock, spices and herbs, chillies, red kidney beans and tinned tomatoes and come home after a long tiring day at work to a ready made Chilli Con Carne. You don’t have to fry off or thaw the mince first! The setting will be used a lot by me, its rather invaluable to someone with a busy life who likes good home cooking, yet is always running around needing to be getting things done.

I love the quality of this slow cooker. The inner and removable ceramic pot (a cute oval shape) is none stick and looks good enough to carry to the table to serve directly. It also fits in my kitchen bowl easily for washing and is its none stick, its fast and easy to wash, dry and put back ready for its next use.

The ceramic pot holds a decent 3.5 litres which is more than enough for me and hubby and has a capacity large enough for a family of 4 in my opinion. I like to cook once - eat twice, so I make double and freeze some! Its economical and saves time too. The size of this slow cooker enables me to make enough chilli, tomato soup, veggie soup, stew etc. for two days meals. I love my freezers and my new slow cooker, invaluable for life in the country.

The front switch is self-explanatory, you really don’t need to read the included instruction booklet to figure out how to use this. Its simplicity is one of its many excellent features.

OFF - LOW - HIGH - AUTO

Do check out that AUTO setting, I think you’ll like it as much as I do. Another way to use it is when making soup etc. I did this earlier today - threw all the diced vegetables, herbs, seasonings and water in and set it on the AUTO feature. It heated it up fast to temperature, then a little audible ‘click’ can be heard if you just happen to be in the vicinity to let you know its changed to LOW. I got on with my day leaving my slow cooker to make my favourite home-made vegetable soup.

The lead comes ready fitted with a UK approved 3-pin plug and other than giving the inner pot a quick wash before its first use, its good to go almost as soon as its out of the box. Nice box! by the way. Something to look at if you are considering this as a gift for someone leaving home for the first time who cannot cook. You don’t need to be able to ‘cook’ with a slow cooker, just throw what you have handy in, add some fluid and switch it on. A great way to use up tired looking vegetables in the bottom of the fridge to make a tasty, warming and healthy soup.

This model is also ideal to cook a chicken! The oval pot makes loading the bird in simplicity itself and if you brown it off prior to putting in (you don’t need to add any water!!) you’ll come home to beautifully cooked fresh chicken that is so moist and tender it just falls off the bone. Use the juice left behind in the pot to makes stock or chicken soup with left over chicken from the bird.

The see-through tempered glass lid enables you to see your masterful creation as it cooks and as your food is slow cooked, you don’t need to add as much fluid as you normally would with a casserole in the oven for example. There is little fluid loss and more retention of nutrients! This slow cooker will help you if you are determined this year to make improvements to your diet and to try to eat more healthily. I’ve cooked so many things in a slow cooker, you are limited only by your imagination really.

I am not shocked to see this particular model approved by the Good Housekeeping Institute. Its a top-class product that carries a name we all know and trust, Andrew James. I’ve been buying Andrew James stuff for many a year now. This product pleases me no less than any other I have personally bought from their vast range. I’d spend my money on this and I recommend it to you highly if you are looking at getting a slow cooker to enhance your life.

Dimensions: 38 x 30.5 x 24 cm

Also, the lid doesn’t rattle when its bubbling away merrily. I had a cheap slow cooker about 20 years ago that I threw out for that very reason. The design and functionality here is spot on.

I love this and its now working away in my kitchen at least 3 to 4 times a week creating delicious food for me and my family.

Very Highly Recommended!!

PS: Looks superb alongside the matching kettle from the range!! and for beginners and seasoned users of slow cooking, the instruction booklet includes some easy to cook, tasty recipes for you to try - particularly the Lamb Shanks and the Lamb, Butter Bean and Tomato Casserole. Nom.
review image review image review image
on 31 October 2014
delighted with my recent purchase,it has lived up to all my expectations and more, and i have produced some very scrumptious meals to the delight of my family. The only criticisum is that the inclusion of some form of basic recipies for me to follow would have been helpful
I haven’t used a slow cooker since I was a student and I am seriously questioning why now as this one is brilliant! Making even the toughest cuts of meat super tender, I prepared a stew in ours today and it was so tasty and easy to prep.

First thing to note this slow cooker has a 3.5 litre capacity, so if preparing something like stew I would say you can easily get at least 4 generous sized potions out of it. My old slow cooker was actually too big at 5.5 litres, which meant if not doing a very large portion of food the base would barely be covered, so this size is much improved.

There are three cooking settings on this slow cooker:

High – perfect for chicken or meat that needs to cook a little faster and that you don’t want to break down as much as the cheaper joints
Low – very low setting, perfect for braising steak / tough cuts or joints
Auto – starts out on high then after an hour or so automatically starts to cook on low

The cooker was very easy to clean thanks to the bowl being non stick… all in all there’s really nothing to criticise with this slow cooker it performs very well and it’s a quick and such a quick way of cooking and wonderful to come home to a warm meal that’s ready when you are. All in all a great sized slow cooker, highly recommended.

I was kindly provided a sample by the manufacturer to review; the opinions expressed here are entirely my own view of this slow cooker.
I've been using this a bit more recently, mostly for stews and soups. So far it has performed very well in use
The ceramic bowl is simple to clean, but do take care esp not to drop it.

The outside of the cooker can get quite hot bear this in mind with children or touching it by accident.
Settings wise I would suggest using the high setting if you have hard vegetables to cook, like potatoes and carrots these require more heat to soften up nicely. Low setting works quite well if you have more time, at high I find about 4 hours is just fine, you can approx double that at the low setting. I've been getting some excellent stews, soups, and casseroles out of this.

A quick and easy way to make a stew, simply chop up your desired veg/meat and put some gravy granules into the cooker (you can adjust the quantity to suit your taste either thick or thin). Also another quickie for vegetarians a quick stock, packet veg soup and put fresh vegetables in to beef it up. Both work very well for a quick instant stock.

Results are good, the unit is nicely made and it's a very good price for a decent slow cooker
on 28 November 2014
Really disappointed with this, been on all day and veg is raw, meat isn't cooked well enough either, I didn't have this problem with my last one so I'm going to give thus one up as a bad job
on 12 February 2015
I love slow cooking and would highly recommend it. However I would not buy this one again. The mark on the dial is a little hard to see although that can be got round but the nob itself is a pain, the blessed thing keeps falling off completely. Buyer beware.
on 26 October 2014
I was disappointed by the differences of cooking times of this cooker. My last slow cooker proved invaluable and so replaced it with this one as soon as it finally gave out on me. The 3.5 litre premium black slow cooker looks the part but seems to take 'forever' to cook. I chopped up my vegetables into very small pieces and covered as usual but after 5 hours the root vegetables were still hard had to have a rushed made up dinner that night so up to now I am not that impressed. Perhaps I had been 'spoiled' by my previous 'really good' cooker.